Multi-Time Frame Trend Trading

hi Graviton,
please take a look at the chart I drew with channel inside. Is it correct ? :confused:
the bottom channel trend line is the same for both channels

I dint find any bottom inside channel line

to make positive pips would be good enough with me

yea … it’s a small price to pay - you are right.
I dont know what is the reson to track good trades?
Can I track negative trades only?
:slight_smile:

The difference between your channel lines and mine are the wicks. I included the wicks in drawing my channels, since they will also trigger a stop loss. If you include the wicks, both upper and lower outer channel lines will move out some. The upper inner channel which represents the take profit line on a long trade and the entry point on a short trade will also move up some, and you will need to add a bottom inner channel line that represents your entry point for long trades and your take profit point for short trades.

You’ll need to track both negative and positive trades. Of course, there is more to learn from negative trades than positive ones, but upon entry, you don’t know which is which. You’ll also start to see some patterns in your winning trades over time. Like one entry method produces a better % of winning trades than another. It’s lots of hard work, but it pays well :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I don’t know any way to be successful at this business without putting in all this hard work. Sorry about that :frowning:

ok, I will keep record of each trade :slight_smile:
I have to re-draw the channels …

I would like to ask how recognize that current retracement is the last one?

There is no way to know that ahead of time. You can know that the vast majority of retracements are temporary and that price will return to the major trend eventually, but you can never know ahead of time which retracement is an actual reversal of major trend. Of course, once a new lower high isn’t established in a down trend, that is the next high is higher than the last lower high was, it looks like the trend is broken. You then have to go to a higher timeframe to be sure. It may only have been a small retracement on a higher timeframe and the major down trend may still be intact on the higher time frame.

That’s why you trade only with the trend. If the retracement against a major down trend is going up, you only have two choices, trade up with the retracement, in which case if it is the last one of a series of retracements that turns into an actual reversal, you are trading in the right direction already, or your second option is you wait until the retracement trend line is broken and trade back down with the major trend, in which case you are also trading in the right direction. It’s another reason I like to trade with channels. If price goes outside the major channel in a retracement, there is a much higher chance it is the actual reversal. I can take profit at that point and wait and see if price comes back into the channel or if it turns out to be an actual reversal.

I’ll usually plot those channels on a lower time frame and exit to pocket as much of my profit as possible as soon as price moves outside an established channel.

Im still struggling with entry points,i look at chart…cbl 1H or 4H entry - check…price going in direction of trade…check…i place the trade…whipsaw and SL.Then nothing happens for 2 hours.I dont look at it for 1 hour and it gives a good entry and moves or i look in the chart and always the best entry seems to have happened 1 hour ago,but the entry still seems valid.When i try to join…whipsaw and SL.It feels that i need to look at it all day to catch the moves.
Thats why i tried to use big SL last week,my only sucessful trades happened with 100+ pip SL.

Hi Graviton,

I have missed the train on eu to close the gap and then swing

Are we going to close au gap ? :slight_smile:
thanks

Gravition,

Over the past few months I’ve been lurking and casually following your thread. This past weekend I had a chance to read the PDF “Gravition Final” aka “THE BEST OF GRAVITION’S THREAD”. [I][U] KUDOS! to who ever assembled it! [/U][/I] Reading and studying the info in the PDF I really started to understand your trading methods.

The information you’ve shares is priceless. I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to pass along your knowledge and experience.

THANK YOU!
Don

lucominato, do you short on au?

Hi graviton! I understand you always use multi lots, but i wonder how many percent of it do you risk on the subsequent lot?

Makes more sense to have a heavier lots at the start, and lessen it as you go along?
This way you won’t get wiped out should the trade go against you?

Would love to hear what you think of it :smiley:

Hi Graviton :slight_smile:

can we look for some pairs to trade for tomorrow? which one you can recomend?

Luco, the answer to your problem isn’t larger stops. In fact, if you are losing, larger stops will just cause you to lose more in the long run.

You are overtrading. There are simple solutions if you have the discipline to implement them. I’ll work with you on this if you’ll follow my directions and keep me posted on your progress. This will have to be worked intensively to fix it.

Cut your position size to 1/2 until you get this problem solved.

Make a rule that to enter any trade, you need three good reasons to enter.

One reason can be a valid cbl out of a squeeze.

If you are in a no trade zone, follow these rules:
Do not take anything less than a 2 candle cbl. A three candle CBL will count as one good reason. Do not enter in a no trade zone if more than 3 candles have penetrated the BB against the direction of your trade since the last expansion from the last squeeze. Do not enter a short trade in the no trade zone if the BB Mid band is pointing up more than 2 o’clock. Do not enter a long trade if the BB Mid band is pointing down more than 4 o’clock. If you can’t tell, don’t enter. Do not enter against the direction of the higher TF trend.

Other reasons you can use to enter are, a bounce off support or resistance line, a break of a trend line, an indicator divergence, etc.

Keep good records of your 3 good reasons to enter each trade and other important info like stop loss etc. If you are still having problems with entries, post the problem trade marked up with info on it and I’ll work my butt off to help. You have to do your part too, that includes trading with discipline, keeping a good trading journal and having a good trading plan.

Don’t be concerned. This is very common. We’ll work through it.

The rule is gaps usually close before price makes a significant new high (or low) in the dirrection of the gap. This seems to work a very large percent of the time, but nothing is 100%.

In the case of AU, the gap only closed about 1/2, so if the rule holds, and it isn’t 100%, price should come down some more to close the gap. That usually happens within a week or so. Remember these are probabilities, not certinties. Don’t bet the ranch on it :slight_smile:

Thank you for the kind words Don. Much of what I’ve learned about trading was shown to me by others kind enough to share. I’m glad I’ve been fortunate enough to have a chance to pay some of that back in some small way. Happy trading.

Graviton, your thread is very popular. :slight_smile: To many advertisement’s agents want to post their ads

Hi Graviton!

Without knowing the trend(of course, we do not trade in that way:o) would you pick this kind of trade? Or what do you think about this kind of ranging market?

I personally do not trade this kind of PA, but it would be nice to trade the trend on the right side of the picture where we can see a BB walk. Is it possible?

Thank you very much!

edit: do not trade, because this is only 30min chart and I prefer H1 and H4 charts.

All my lots are the same size, 1% of my account balance risked. I may have many lots on, but I never risk more than 1% of account balance on any trade. If you review my strategy, you see I take profit off the first lot as soon as the third lot goes on. After that point I have no risk, so I never get “wiped out”. At worst, I lose part or all of my stop loss on a single lot, which never exceeds 1% of my account balance.

There must be 100 good variations. One is to cut lot size in half, to 0.5% of account balance. Then lots go on in pairs. The first half goes on and if price goes against you a little, you wait. If price immediatly goes in your direction, you immediatly put the second half on. If you have a bad entry on the first half, you don’t put the second half lot on. This further reduces risk. Does that make sense?

Just saw your post. I had a minor A/C problem that I had to get repaired. I’ve already posted about AU, but be careful, it’d very volatile. AJ will follow AU, but it’s even more volatile. The best way to handle the volatility is to reduce position size, trade off longer term charts with larger stops and insist on only the best entries.

EU has broken down out of it’s trtracement trend channel. It should return to it’s major trend down. EJ will follow EU, but it’s volatile.

If the above 4 pairs are going down, then GU will go down and GJ will follow. These are the most volatile.

If all the above happens, it creates a strong dollar sceniero where any pair with USD on top is likely to go up and any pair with USD on bottom is likely to go down.