Multi-Time Frame Trend Trading

I used 100 pip increments between 1st and 2nd lots. That’s only because I wanted to be well ahead before putting additional risk in the trade. The great problem in the 5 lot is in putting on the 2nd and 3rd lots too fast, causing a massive loss on a quick retracement. That problem is easily overcome by just increasing the increments as I have noted. I may reduce a bit between the 2nd and 3rd increments, but I have time to think that over and right now I have the pending stop orders set at 100 pips.

Note that these long term trades are designed to move 300+ pips, to yield at least a 2 to 1 reward to risk ratio for a 150 pip initial stop loss. Since they are designed to move so far, we can afford to be more careful in putting on the 2nd and 3rd lots. I still haven’t decided if I’ll drop the increment for the 3rd lot yet, but I’m considering it from all angles now. Fortunately, I have all the time in the world to think it over. What do you think?

No you were very clear, thank you very much for that enlightening post, I need to read much more about those indicators and how they work together.

Since these are longer term trades, I am really using the longer time frames to set stops. The 150 pip stop put me near the top of the long wick on a big bull extreme candle that occurred about 8 candles ago on the H4. It also put me well above the big bear candle that followed it. That bear candle body completely engulfed the body of the bull candle before it, so it is a signal that trend may be turning to the down side.

Having done many of these trades I already knew a stop of about 150 pips was correct for the trade from experience, but I want confirming information to verify I’m not way off in my stop placement.

The H4 ATR was about 107 pips and the Daily ATR was about 232 pips, so a stop of about 150 pips is in that range. It’s not likely to be taken out by the H4 TF, but it is at a little risk from the daily time frame. That is the third reason to place the stop in that range. In these long term trades, I like to have three good reasons to do anything. if I can’t find a third good reason, the decision is suspect.

So, the three good reasons were, near the top of the H4 extreme candle, experience, and it’s between the H4 and daily ATR, which is in the range of my home TF.

Hi, could someone enlighten me on my post #794? Thank you for your time.

No problem, these trades run from days to months, so there is no big hurry on anything. Be careful though about the speed of putting on the second and third lots. Putting them on too fast can cause a massive loss in the event of a large retracement. And as Tymen says, retracements always happen.

Better to be too slow putting on the second and third lots than too fast. It’s not as great a worry on the 4th lot, as lots of profit will already be locked in by then, and the 5th lot is hardly any worry at all.

Yes 2nd lot triggered last night at 1.1539. No on EUR/USD. I only studied the UCHF over the W/E and did not want to just copy your trade.

First of all, it depends on the timeframe you are trading. If you were scalping the 5 minute TF, an up trend on the 15M and 1H might qualify as trading with the trend. The effect of each higher TF drops by about 1/2 on your home timeframe, so if you have a good CBL up in the 5M TF, and an up trend on the 15M and 1H, that would be a 5M long scalping set-up in my method of trading.

I generally don’t scalp the 5M TF because the spread takes such a large bite out of the profits, but many do use this method to scalp lower TF’s and it turns out they are having very good results with it. Perhaps it depends most on the trading personality if the individual trader.

I generally only trade the 1H and above TF’s where the spread takes a much smaller % of profits. At 1H, my system requires that you only trade in the direction of the 4H trend. It is highly recommended that the daily also be in the same direction. It’s helpful if the weekly is in the same direction and the monthly is so far out it really doesn’t mater that much.

Let me know if that answers your question on that.

Your other comment/question is more straightforward. Yes, you will always see trends forming at lower time frames. Since it is a mathematical fact that all higher time frames are just compressions of the data fed up from lower time frames, it is impossible for a trend to form at a higher time frame without first showing itself at a lower time frame, at least if you are looking closely enough for it.

But you have to decide what timeframe(s) you want to trade. If you are trading around the H1 TF, a trend forming at the 5M TF has little significance except for entry optimization. A trend at the 15M TF is significant in that it will eventually feed into the 1H TF, but it will take a while and almost half the time it will reverse. Still, if it is in the direction of your trade, it helps confirm the validity of the trade, and if it is against the direction of your trade, it raises a red flag about the trade and the reade needs to be watched carefully. If you get to a point where you are just unsure or confused about the trade, exit immediately. It’s always easy to get back in and often you can get back in at a better price than before.

These concepts of higher TF trends affecting lower TF price direction in a probabilistic fashion, but less effect the more further removed from the home TF; and of price action filtering up from lower TF’s to higher TF’s as a mathematical certainty, are central to the MTF trading method as I have created it. They need to be clearly understood to practice this method successfully. Let me know if I answered your questions or we need to discuss this more.

RenaLa, this exercise was for you and any others that want to trade long term. I’m not clear why you didn’t take these trades, at least in a demo account? You must be brave enough to pull the trigger when the market acts in accordance with your beliefs to be a world class trader. I’ll teach you to fish and even help you cast the net for a few times, but after that you are on your on. If you can’t pull the trigger on these exercises, you are missing much of the experience you need to trade long term and you will get left behind in this program. We are already up about 250 pips on the two trades we discussed this weekend. It’s still early in a trade designed to last from days to weeks to months, so please set up your long term trading account, in demo if you like and join up with us at your first opportunity.

Entry for a long term trade can be placed any day that all the conditions for that trade are satisfied. Generally the last condition will always be a confirmation by price action that the price is behaving as you expected it to. It just so happens that we will usually have more time for chart study and planning on the weekend when the market is closed, so if price action confirms our trade near the open, we will take the trade. It could have been days before price action confirmed these trades, or the entire belief that the trade was based on could have been proved wrong, so the trades could have been taken later or not at all. I do like to take these trades earlier in the week though so I have some profit built up before having to decide if I want to take the opening gap risk of holding over the weekend. It’s easy to exit Friday and re-enter Monday (Sunday for me) if the opening gap risk seems high. That is a decision that must be made before Friday 2 PM my time.

As we discussed on the EURUSD trade, the price action confirmation was the drop below the retracement uptrend we charted. For the USDCHF the price action confirmation was the closing of the opening gap (rule: gaps usually close) and then the turn of price back up from the gap closing. Had price action not confirmed our beliefs about these trades, we would not have taken them.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am getting close to the end of this presentation and it’s important that I don’t leave you behind now.

As for not understanding how these trades were placed, we discussed that at length. Please ask a question about anything you don’t understand.

“The effect of each higher TF drops by about 1/2 on your home timeframe”

Sorry i didn’t get what you mean by that sentence.

Ok so far so good, so if i use 1Hr as my home chart, i would look at the 4hr chart to see they are in sync, meaning they both are trending in the same direction. Eg: they’re uptrend now.

Now, i would need to find an entry, so which tf would you suggest? If a 15mins tf shows a cbl entry to go long would i go for it? Supposing that it is at the outter BB as well, and a valid cbl. Or do i refer to the 30mins or 5mins?

Thank you for your time graviton, i appreciate it.

Hello Graviton, thanks for all the answers!

I´ve been doing well in this period of “rehab” thanks to all your advice and experience. I have made a plan and i am following it. I have a maximun 3 trades per day rule, that way i´m being more selective, and it has really increased my win/loss ratio. The problem that i still have is that i usually close my trades to quickly when i have some profit, and that is making my risk/reward ratio to high. So my question would be: how can we increase the risk/reward ratio?

thanks! :smiley:

That is an excellent question. The stop on a Long term trade is designed to take you out of the trade if the basis of the trade is no longer valid. It also serves the dual purpose of protecting your trading account in the event of a sharp reversal in price during the initial phase of the trade. Note that I took two trades at the same time, eu and uchf, to reduce my risk through diversification and increase my profit potential. I only took them both because they were both well thought out trades and price action confirmed my entry. In the first hour of these uchf and eu trades, if the price had gone more than 30 pips against us, we would have manually exited as our entry plan would have been invalidated. In the first day if the trade moved sharply against us we would have manually exited, or if we are away from the computer the stop will take us out at a 150 pip retracement. Now it’s time to consider the stop loss management going forward into the trade.

One of the worst mistakes in long term trading though is to tighten our stops too quickly and get kicked out right at the maximum point of a routine retracement, essentially creating a large loss out of a large gain. So we have to balance out the need to lock in profits and protect our trading account with the need to not get kicked out of a trade right on the worst point of a routine retracement.

At this moment we are about 200 pips ahead in these combined trades with each trade about 100 pips ahead, eu a little more and uchf a little less, so the initial stop loss that was set at 150 pips for the 1st lot is now about 250 pips on average. Certainly if this trade moves against us by 250 pips, it has deviated from our belief about the future price movement and we should exit. But now we ask, what is the minimum distance price need to deviate before we would consider our belief about future price movement to be invalidated.

For uchf, the daily ATR is about 157 pips still. This along with some chart study tells us that a price drop of more than 160 pips in a day is unlikely in any particular day. It is likely however given a long enough period of time. Looking at the weekly ATR for uchf, it’s now at 246 pips, meaning it’s unlikely that we will see a retracement greater than 246 pips in any given week, though it likely in a period of enough weeks. Since our trade has already survived a day, but not yet a week, we are at the point where we should think of capturing some of the profit, or actually reducing the risk of the trade a little, but still avoiding the catastrophe of stopping out on a routine retracement. That would put a sensible stop somewhere between the 152 current daily ATR and the 246 pip weekly ATR. We have only been in the trade for 1 day, or 1/5th of a week, so a reasonable approximation is to move the stop 1/5th the distance between the two and to do so any day profit exceeds that amount each day of the first week of the trade, thereby reducing risk overall in the trade each day by an amount that will put us near the weekly ATR by the end of the week. Of course, if there isn’t enough profit in a day to move the stop without actually increasing risk of stopping out on a routine retracement, then we can’t move it, or we can’t move it that much. So, we never move a stop in a way that increases our risk in the trade, and their are two risks to balance out, getting taken out at the worst possible moment with a routine retracement, and needing to taken out of the trade legitimately because of some fundamental or technical shift in the basis of the trade.

So in uchf, the stop should be increased (246-152)/5 = 19 pips each day this week, if and only if we have made that much profit in the last day. Our profit is
at the moment 59 pips, so we have enough profit to increase our stop width, essentially reducing our risk of being stopped out by a routine retracement, while also capturing some of those pips and reducing the risk that a change in trade basis will cause us to lose all our initial stop loss. I like round numbers in managing stops and I had set my initial stop at 150 pips, so I will increase it by about 20 pips to about 170 pips now. This essentially moves my stop up about
40 pips from where I entered yesterday. Note that the cardinal rule applies that we never move a stop against the direction of our trade. Also, we only adjust a stop once a day, preferably about the same time each day, to prevent overtrading.

Since the close of the London session is minutes away, and volatility usually drops after the London session is closed, I will wait until that session is closed to adjust my stop and I’ll do it every day at the same time, rounding things a bit and moving it 20 pips a day any day I make 20 pips or more in profit. If and when we get a full week in this trade, we will follow the same process moving once a week to the monthly ATR.

These are big numbers we are dealing with. You don’t really have to wait 200 pips to exit a trade if it moves against you. You can actually exit anytime for any reason. But if you chose to exit early, you should carefully evaluate the impact and results of that decision. You’ll find that 4 out of 5 times you should have stayed in the trade, and only one in 5 it saved you a little stop. Still, if you are sure the basis for your trade has become invalid, as in the release of some unexpected and drastic news or a major change in politics like a war breaks out, by all means exit a trade that is moving badly against you. Of course, at least 50% of the time the trade will actually move faster and further in your direction. This can actually serve to offset some risk in other investments like stocks, bonds or commodities.

Now to move my uchf stop up about 40 pips and do the same calc and move the eu stop.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this.

Postscript Note: The eu stop should be increased by 25 pips a day in this calculation. We don’t move stops of later lots until the 1st lot catches up with them, then we move them all in unison.

Gravitom
How do you calculate the ATR for different time frames?

Hi Graviton :slight_smile:

I dont know what is “cast the net” what special is it ?? what ever it is I am appreciate it. Everything you do is for good only!

Entry for a long term trade can be placed any day that all the conditions for that trade are satisfied.

Can we go please thru the pairs as we did with analyzing and would you teach us to see if there is condition for the long term trading or not

Generally, I will ride these trends until I see clear retracement

please teach me to clear recognize retracement and level of exit OK?
seem as I have same problem as gasanvill which is exiting the trade to early

Plagiarism is strongly encouraged. It was a group think sort of exercise anyway. But the point is to see how to select, enter and manage these trades. Hopefully that will all get across in the next few days :slight_smile:

Graviton doesn’t calculate ATR. Indicator does.
look at ATR indicator window the value of ATR is on the left top corner of the indicator window

What I mean by that sentence is the time frame directly above your home chart has the greatest probability of affecting the direction of price on your home chart. Say it’s a 1H chart, then the 4 Hour chart has the greatest probability of affecting your 1H chart. But, the daily chart has some smaller probability of affecting the H4 chart, and that probability filters down in a smaller amount to affect the success of your 1H chart.

So, say for example, that trading in the direction of the higher TF chart increases your probability of success from 50% to 60%, that gives you an additional chance of success of 10%. If the daily chart is also in the same direction, that means it’s less likely the 4H chart will change direction during your trade, so maybe it gives you an additional 5% or a total of 15% greater chance of success. Actually it drops closer to a square root factor than by a factor of 1/2, but we’ll just use this as a simple example since the principle works the same. So, in this example, if the weekly is in the same direction, maybe you get an additional 2.5% chance of success off it, the monthly is so far removed it would only contribute an additional 1.25%. So if the monthly chart is against the direction of a 1H trade, it’s not nearly as much effect as if the daily chart was trending in the opposite direction. Does this make good sense? If it doesn’t I’ll try to explain it a different way.

The only completely valid CBL to use for your home chart is a CBL on that chart. If the CBL is valid on the 15M chart but not on your 1H chart, you can trade the 15M chart and if you get a valid entry later on a higher TF, you can risk walking up to the higher TF. If you don’t get a valid entry on the higher TF chart you want to trade, like a good squeeze entry on the 1H chart, you are kinda stuck with making the best trade you can on the 15M chart. If that basis was valid, you will make some pips on it most of the time. Maybe one time in 5 or so you will be able to walk back up to a higher time frame with a valid entry on that time frame. That is always my goal, to enter with a smaller stop on a lower TF, and try to walk up to a higher TF. If I fail to get a valid signal from the higher TF, Which will happen most of the time, I take my smaller pips or smaller lumps off the shorter TF and try again. Of course, if you get the valid CBL on the TF you want to trade in the first place, it saves a lot of trouble, but I take what the market gives me.

The fatal flaw in this approach is when you walk up time frames, you can’t move your stop against the direction of your trade (a cardinal rule), so you may wind up with a stop that is way too tight for the higher time frame you are trying to trade. In that case you can be stopped out on a higher TF, albeit with a tighter stop, when you could have made a smaller profit on the shorter TF in the first place, had you stayed with it. It seems that nothing is without it’s risk. The goal is just to minimize the risk and maximize the reward over the long haul.

Here is one of the major issues i am having with bad trades.

Lets say the major trend is down on the daily, 4h and 1h.

But on each of those charts a bb crossover is happening to the mid or outer bb.

You find a squeeze and a nice cbl entry on the 20m or lower time frame that works with the major trend.

But the current trend is a cross trend, due to the crossover.

Which chart holds the true power of THAT trend? The 1hr? 4h? Is the major trend ending and in the process of a reversal?

Or do you do what i do now and just stay out of those trades?

I was speaking of casting a net to catch fish, or in this case, good trades, but never mind, it’s not important.

We have been going through pairs and analyzing trades, but we’ve just started on longer term trades. Don’t worry if the light hasn’t switched on quite yet. It will. We’ll do enough examples until it is very clear to you. But you have to do the exercises, and that means at least take the trades we generate and work to manage them. They won’t all be successful, but that is part of the learning process.

There are several major mistakes that can be made in long term trading. I’ve made a lot of them, but I’m sure there is another just waiting to bite me. Some are trying to force a trade or overtrading. Exiting too early, moving a stop against the direction of your trade, averaging down, trying to convert a bad trade to a higher time frame, trying to trade with too tight a stop, and the list goes on.

Any time the sum of the profit and loss of the last two lots you have put on goes negative, you are in retracement. You can see it on the charts as well. I started out trading as a tape watcher, which is to say I didn’t even look at charts, I only watched price moves. So sometimes I speak in those terms. But trading multiple lots, like I said, it’s easy to see you are in retracement just from the profit or loss total of your last two lots.

The question is what to do about it. If I have many lots on, say 4 or more, I like to take profit immediately on the first lot with the most profit in it, if the sum profit of the last two lots goes negative. If the last two continue to go further negative, I do not want all my remaining lots to go negative, so I may set the stop loss to minimum on all of them and let them exit if the move continues against my trade, or I may just exit them all manually.

It’s not as bad as it sounds since I can exited the trade as a whole with a nice profit, and half the time I can get back in later at an even better price. Day trading gives you lots of practice at this sort of thing that would take forever to get in long term trading. So practice big time in a demo set up just for that purpose trading short 5M or 15M time frames where you will get lots of entries with small increments between lots, or even more simply, enter lots of coin flip trades and follow them to completion in a demo just for that purpose. Not that I’d advise trading very short TF’s or trading on a coin flip with real money, but the practice is great.

I’m not sure if I understand your question as I can read it two ways. I never take a trade against the direction of the next higher level time frame chart, so I stay out of those trades.

I will sometimes take a trade on a valid CBL on my home timeframe chart even if it is against the recent trend of the home time frame chart, simply because that CBL might represent represent the best entry off a retracement that I was looking for in the first place to gain entry to the longer time frame trend. But if I have no reason to take a counter trend entry on my home TF chart, I wont take it. Maybe the best way to make the decision is fall back on the old rule of looking for three good reasons to make any entry. Does that answer make any sense at all? If not just let me know, I seem to be talking in circles today. Oh well, it’s Monday.

I’ve tried my best to answer everyone’s questions today. Lots of good questions and I hope at least one good answer hidden in there somewhere. I can tell many are starting to see the light at the end of this long dark tunnel. Each trader is different and my goal is to help you find your own path, rather than herd you onto mine. As you move on, you will find some things work better for you than others. That’s fine, take what works for you and leave the rest. Work on improving your trading plan and your skills. In the end, your trading plan and your skills to execute it are your Holy Grail. If anything is still not clear, feel free to ask. Otherwise I will go now and do some practice (it’s what I call day trading) in the chat room.

Happy Trading