Multi-Time Frame Trend Trading

I get what you mean, but human tendency always gets in the way if you know what i mean. But hey thanks, i’ll try it out! :smiley:

Excellent stuff! Thanks for the explanation, now i know what i should and should not do!

Hi all, for those who have difficulties drawing trendlines, perharps you could switch from candlesticks to line chart, makes it so much easier as line chart there is no wicks flying around. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes! :smiley:

It not actually what I had in mind to ask

sometimes I open trades for one pair and then I open trade for other pair, both pairs look good to trade say long. but in few pips one of the pair turns against my trade.
which pairs are trading in the same direction and which one in opposite.
If gbp/usd is rising, would be gbp/jpy also rise. If they do then do they rise at the same time or with some delay ?? Do you know what I mean?
or if usd/cad is rising, would be aud/usd also rising :rolleyes: :confused:
would you go thru the pairs with explanation please?
if anyone know any thread or web site with such information please let me know
thanks

Graviton, one of your posts you said that MT4 has option to close all trades at one time. Where is this option?
yea, how the pairs move depending on Dow Jones?

Hi renala, i believe you are referring to pair correlation. You may want to check out Forex Correlation - Mataf

let me know if that helps :slight_smile:

hi fartist, yes, its kinda what I was looking for (I would like also to know which pairs correlate with the delay), Like say I traded one pair then I would know what to trade next :slight_smile:
Excellent web site thanks
I understood how to read tables its pretty easy.
Not sure how to read chart on the right?
Interesting, if one pair is correlating to ohter pair today will it correlate tomorrow or in a week. there is weekly correlation table is empty.
would be good to know for high TF trading.

Also If you will select the same pair by horizontally and vertically the diagram pop ups on the right . I dont know either how to read it
Do you?

Yes, generally that’s true, but I don’t require the Stoch to go all the way to overbought. I only require the fast line be crossed over the slow in the direction of the trade. The exception is when the Stoch is saturated in the direction of the trade, which is a good thing. In that case I will refer to the Stoch one time frame up to give an OK to the trade, that would be the 1H Stoch in the case of trading the 4H and the 15M Stoch saturated in the direction of the trade. I also routinely look at the 5M at the moment of entry to see it too is moving in the direction of the trade. Adding an additional PA filter requiring a break of the uptrend retracement trend line on a lower TF also seems to help me enter at the best moment. I think you have to experiment with and test these techniques to see which work best for you.

Im having difficulties on keeping myself in the trade when i have 1 or 2 lots on - during the first 30 or 40 pips of the move,always close with small profit/small loss just to see it moving in the desired direction right after i close the trade.It seems that any 10-15 pip move makes the trade go from positive to negative.Sometimes i make only 20 pips from 2 trades with 2 lots on during a 60 pip move.
Any better way to stay on trades longer during this part?

Yes i realised the weekly does not show any correlation figures, not sure why.
As for the graph on the right, im not sure what it means also.

All i do know is the correlation between pairs, and the correlation between pairs you want just check on the boxes above. :slight_smile:

I thought I had a script to close all trades, but I guess I was mistaken.

Recently the dollar goes down in value as the Dow goes up. There are days it moves in the opposite way, but that’s the way it’s moved most of the time recently. So more often than not, if the Dow goes up, pairs with the dollar on bottom like eurusd should go up, pairs with dollar on top like usdchf should fall.

Graviton,

I have a question regarding how to determine the strength of the trend… kinda :slight_smile:

Today I was practicing some of tymens new micro trades (cross trend trades). One thing that I didn’t like was the guessing. Will it stop at tp1, will it continue to tp2.

Now as a newb I was using the 15M chart for these two trades I was running at the same time. To try and help me determine the strength of the cross trend move I put on a Stoch with the standard settings.

15M Stoch up, 30M stoch up, 5M stoch up, so I entered using tymens methods.

When it got half way the 5m went to over bought and started heading down. The price was reflecting that. But the 15M was still showing up as well as the 30M stoch. Price went choppy. It went up a little more then a retrace back to the original bb then way up.

I guess my question is. I know these are lagging indicators. But when trying to use them this way should i follow my home chart or maybe listen to what the chart below me is saying? Or am I on the wrong track completely?

Pair Correlation:

This chart is not perfect. Noticed it missed the e/u and usd/chf role.

Here is a much better one.

Good question. Try trading longer TF’s where the pip moves are larger. Be more selective about which trades you try to use multiple lots on. After trading these for a while, you start to develop a sense for which trends will be sustained long enough to support multi lots. You may want to let the first lot run longer before putting the second lot on, then if when you put the second lot on if the trade fails and goes immediatly negative, exit both lots immediatly with most of your pips.

If the second lot goes positive, exit both lots before the second turns back to negative. This will happen with most of your trades. Only about 1 in 10 will make it to three lots even if you do everything correctly. About 1 in 20 will make it to 4 lots and only about 1 in 40 will make it to 5 lots. So if you make about 10 trades a day, you’ll get about 1 three lot trade a day, a four lot about every other day and a five lot about once a week. If you aren’t getting these results, it could be you are trading too short a time frame or perhaps you need to work harder on making good trade selections, that is, take fewer trades and better trades.

Postscript Note: There is nothing you can do to force a trade to go to 5 lots. You have to trade what the pair gives you. Most of your trades will end at one or two lots, so you need to learn to maximize the pips off those. When I get a third lot on, I often close the first and bank all the profit from it. Then I will close the second and third before their sum goes negative. That way I always make a nice profit if I get a third lot on. Some of this just takes experience.

Hi graviton, im facing similar problem as lucominato.
First of all, i would like to thank you for your swing and position trading methods. It indeed works very well, the trendline breaking and entering upon it. I usually enter on the 1 hr chart for swing trade and after confirmation of closing of 1 or maybe 2 candles that breaks the trendline.

However as mentioned earlier, my trades somehow don’t get very far.
For example if i swing trade, i would go in at additional lot after 50pips.
Usually im up by close to 100 pips, before i slowly see it being eaten away.
I’m helpless and do not know what’s the best way out. I set my stop loss pretty far away to allow flexibility, thus more pips are being sacrificed.

If i set it too tight, it hits the SL more than half the time. So is there a way which you can variate between these 2 factors?
Or like you said earlier, if one lot goes bad, you quickly exit everything.

And if so, when do you re enter again? Do you perharps re enter:

For example you went long at 100 exit at 95 due to bad judgement. Do you enter below 95? Or you dont mind entering around the 95-100 region again?

I understand at times you say you leave your trade on for weeks and months, but i don’t see how i can do that without being stopped out, unless i set really high SL. And if i do that, i would also see my pip being eaten up.

I hope you could shed some light on me, as its been quite a nutcrack.
No worries, im doing all of it in demo, however i treat my demo as a live thing.
Would appreciate it man :slight_smile:

Hard to answer your question with an answer that is good for all cases. I do lots of chart study before I enter a trade, but I rarely look at a chart for a pair once I enter a trade. I’m already in the trade, so the only thing that matters to me at that point is price. If price goes up I want to protect my profit, and at some point I will risk part of that profit to try to make more. If price goes down, I’ll want to stop the bleeding as quickly as possible.

All those decisions are made in my trading plan before I enter the trade. So once I enter a trade, I’ve already decided what I will do if price goes up and what I will do if it goes down, as well as where and when I’ll take the next action. So all my subsequent actions, right or wrong, are based on price, not chart formations. The reason is, chart formations are too subjective for me to make good decisions while under the stress of a trade. I do believe that planning is the key to success in this business. As I’ve said before, even a bad plan is better than no plan, since at least a bad plan can be improved over time. But, that’s just my style. You’ll have to practice and try different things and discover your own.

Here’s an update to my CBL summary indicator.

New features;

• [B]HTFTrendOnly[/B]. When false, valid CBL entries against the higher timeframe trend will be considered. An “S” or “L” is shown to indicate the direction of the CBL entry.

• [B]CBLines[/B]. Set from 0 to 2. 0 means Orthodox CBL entries (*1), 1 means 1xCBL (*2), 2 means 2xCBL.

• [B]ResetCBLWhenMidBBHit[/B]. If price exceeds the middle BB after a CBL entry is set, then that entry is considered invalid.

The following features are still present.

Using H4 timeframe for example;

• H4 bar that tagged the opposite band
  • H4 bar that is a valid Orthodox or 2xCBL entry.
  • Number of pips that price is away from the CBL entry.
  • Direction of the D1 trend.

When price comes within 0.25xATR(14) of the CBL entry, the row turns red. When price exceeds the CBL entry, it turns green. If no CBL entry is found, it turns grey.

Bars are counted 0 most recent and up to less recent. So bar 2 will be 2 periods in the past, or 8 hours on the H4 timeframe for example.

You can start in any timeframe, H4 is just for illustration (although I think the most useful timeframe for this). Various elements are configurable through the indicator inputs.

If you do change timeframe, give MT4 up to a minute to load up all the data. Results will jump around during this time.

(*1) An Orthodox CBL entries uses the following rules;

- 2 candles if the extreme candle is the larger of the 2.
- 1 candle if the extreme candle is the smaller of the 2.
- cut the extreme candle in half if it is excessively large (touches or goes thro the mid BB).  

(*2) 1xCBL is not implemented as a stand-alone strategy. The Orthodox CBL entry will use a 1xCBL if it should.

[update] fixed a bug in the midbb detection on bar 0.

[update 2] new version available here

What a tease:D All these great features can’t wait to try it out when it’s available. It sounds like you’ve put much effort into it and it is very appreciated.

I trade the daily and weekly chart as two entirely seperate trades i.e. a daily trade might last from a few hours to all day and a weekly perhaps several days to you guessed it a week… lol.

The point I’m making is a trend on the daily might apear as an across the tunnel trade on the weekly. On GBP/JPY daily I might have been trading the long trend but on the weekly just across the tunnel from low to high on the even longer trend on the weekly which is short.

As Graviton points out trading the longer tf’s across the tunnel might mean big pips… 500 plus pips.

So in short. I will have several longer weekly trades in place when my set up indicates but trade the lower daily actively.

Hope I have not confused you. I know what I mean. :smiley:

I have posted two charts. One the daily and one the weekly of GBP/JPY. Notice the daily trending while the weekly just shows this move as an across the high/ low tunnel.

Might need to expand to 200% for a better look?

Wow. All the things we talked about the other day. I kept looking for the indicator to download until I realised this was a “preview of an upcoming release”. I can’t wait to see it. :slight_smile:

Here’s some of the code added I added to your original BB Tag Summary to identify a BB Squeeze. I am not sure if you will find it useful or not. (I am new at this so don’t laugh too hard, OK :o)

I haven’t been able to get the BB Shape (contraction/expansion measure) to work reliably yet. Still a work in progress.

Are you still using your H1 and M15 strategy’s R_Carter?
I have yet to fully explore them, but will in time.