Multi-Time Frame Trend Trading

Looks like a very good set-up Greg. The best entries seem to come from a confluence of several reasons at the same time. Don’t worry about your English, it’s much better than many who post here and miles better than any other language I can speak.

Great to see you doing well graviton!
Seeing you doing well just keeps me going on and on.

I’m glad we all here have someone to look up to and to look out for us.
Happy weekends! :slight_smile:

Hi Graviton,

Firstly, THNAK YOU very much for your time, dedication & patience in teaching all of us to be better traders.

I am very new to Forex, having only completed BabyPips 3 months ago. I have also read every page of Tymen’s fantastic journey culminating in BB DNA.

There is 1 point where I believe you are incorrect. :eek: I think you are a tremendous teacher - different to Tymen, but just as enthralling :D. The way you translated your actions for trades into words is very precise & generally understandable, even to this newbie. Now I just have to adapt them to my style & learn to implement them!! As with Tymen’s thread I read every post & copied the more important information into a text document that I can highlight & add to as time progresses.

Right now (6pm Sunday night in Oz) I am mentally exhausted from a few long days of reading & trying to absorb so much great information. Let me say that you have stopped me from trading this week! I am going to spend the next week looking at charts, taking notes, studying fundamentals & re-writing my trading plan & recording spreadsheets. So yes, you have been a big influence on me and, I presume, many others.

I look forward to following the remainder of this thread as eagerly as I read Tymen’s each day.

Thanks also to all the others who have exposed their trading problems for Graviton’s help. It has also helped me in a very positive way.

Positive Pips & Cheers.

Hello Graviton! Ready for a new week?:slight_smile: i´ve been also studying all my trades and my charts, and i feel more confident now.

cant wait to see that new entry technique :smiley:

I hope your weekend is going well too Fartist. There are a few more techniques I can post on, but most of the important stuff is already contained in these pages and I’m sure you would discover the rest in time anyway. At this point I am most interested in seeing that everyone is establishing a good baseline of their trading stats, W/L ratio, risk reward ratio, good entry %, avg MAE, etc. That will allow progress over time to be measured objectively and make problems easy to identify and correct.

Really, if everything is done correctly, there is no reason that we shouldn’t be able to get every trader here up to an average of 1,000 pips a week with minimal risk no weekly drawdowns. Once you are making a consistent average 1,000 pips a week or better, and having no weekly drawdowns, you will be among the top few percent of the world’s best traders. So we know where we are and we know where we are going. But to get there from here, we will need a compass to measure our direction. That compass is the measurement of some simple stats. I’m not asking you to determine sampling size to find deviations from normal distributions. I’m just asking for some very simple things, like what is the number of good entries and bad entries over the past week.

I know you Fartist will be happy to collect and share this critical information. But for those few who have come all this way and refuse to collect and share simple stats on your trading, like win loss%, good entry %, etc., I really can’t help you from here. Some traders wander the wilderness for years or even their whole lives and never find their way out. It’s not that they can’t find their way out, it’s that they are afraid to find their way out. They either don’t believe they deserve to succeed or they are afraid of how success would affect their lives. Others depend on the pity they get from losing as their main form of human empathy and compassion. These are deeply rooted psychological issues that I am not qualified to address. I have known many with those sort of problems who were greatly helped by a qualified trading psychologist and counselor, and were able to emerge from the wilderness and go on to have wonderful careers. I highly encourage anyone who suspects they may have these types of problems to seek qualified professional help.

For those who are willing to put in the effort to succeed, and that will require a personal written trading plan, a personal trading journal, and collecting some simple data for some simple stats, we know where we are going. We are going to make 1000 pips a week on average and no weekly drawdowns. We wont give up until everyone gets there. Of course, everyone in the world can’t make 1000 pips a week, but there’s only a few people who read these posts, so that’s not a problem. You are either on this journey with us, or you are not. If not, I wish you well on your own path and you are welcome to visit, but I won’t be able to devote any time to any one not willing to devote time themselves, and I’m really not qualified to address the deep rooted psychological reasons they are not willing to do the simple things to succeed.

So off we go. If I had to say where we are on our journey, I’d say this is the end of the beginning. From here on out, I’d advise those who just want to play with Forex to play somewhere else. Those who are willing to work harder than they have ever worked in their lives to become one of the worlds best traders are in the right place. But hard work doesn’t mean unpleasant work. This will be great fun :smiley:

Thanks for the kind words Madpipia. Glad to see you are doing the basics today. That’s what I’m doing myself. Have a good trading week :slight_smile:

I’m ready. My plan is to move very slow on the open. I know some people are dong well on trading the open, and great for them, but it’s just not my best trading time. Also, last week was a great week for me. I made well above my stretch goal, so I suspect a return to mean and that’s not something I’m willing to risk much on this week. I’ll be trading about 1/5 th normal lot size on the open if I trade it at all. That value per pip might still seem high to some, but it only amounts to about .1% risk per trade of the account I’ve spent decades building.

Keep good stats on your trading. They will be critically valuable going forward. Have a great trading week. Also know, trading gets easier in the Fall :slight_smile:

finally i manage to get my trading plan (this weekend i did a lot of research)
starting from tomorrow i will keep monitoring the trades and study them when the day is over.

i hope that in time i will be able to become as good as so many of you guys

have a nice week !

Hey Graviton and the rest of the babypips crew-

I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m working my way through the School of Pipsology and reading posts here and over at Tymen’s thread. Incredible stuff. I feel like a sponge.

I will follow along, and in time will make contributions of my own. I am starting to understand the basic principles that you all operate under, and with further learning, distilling and refining I hope to create a system that I can thrive under. I feel confident the foundations of that system lay here and in Tymen’s thread. I am very excited about this whole learning process. Thank you for all of your contributions.

Matthew

Hello mcdonagh! welcome to the world of forex!:smiley:

Thanks Matthew. I was going to post a new entry method today, but I just noticed Tymen has posted one that is hard to follow, entering at or near the beginning of a BB walk (breakout from a squeeze). This is very cool. Welcome aboard!

Thank you for the warm welcoming. It feels a bit like signing up for a free painting class at the community center, only to show up and be seated next to picaso and davinci. You guys are light years ahead! The good news is I am a hard worker, will endeavor to not only learn a system but WHY it works, and continually grow.

Pip Pip, Horay!

Thanks for the encouragement grav!

I’llpost up my stats at the end of this week.

Hope it be a great week ahead to all! :slight_smile:

Sorry if this has been answered and I missed it. But why close out lot #1 at +30? Why not just move the SL on lot #1 to the +30 level? If the price goes down you get stopped out and get your +30, if the price continues up, you can get more… This is a well thought out exiting plan so there must be a reason I don’t understand, please tell me what I am missing.

You can’t move the stop loss to +30, as that is where price is. You could move stop loss to +25, or a tight stop of 5 pips and wait to see what happens. I do that sometimes if I’m convinced price will keep going rapidly in my favor. The examples I give are for illustration purposes only. Once you understand the concepts and practice trading with them for a while, you will understand where you need to use larger or smaller numbers and when you need to move faster or slower on putting on and taking off lots. No two trades are just the same and no two traders are just the same.

In the example you are speaking of, the first lot is taken off with profit quickly to prepare for the possibility of a quick reversal. We are essentially trading the spread cost of putting another lot on later, say 3 to 5 pips, for removing the 15 pip stop loss risk to the profit on the first lot. If price reverses quickly, that was a good trade off, if not then it would have been better to leave the first lot on. Since price has already moved a lot in our favor, it will reverse often, perhaps 1/2 the time. You can keep track to determine your own numbers and actions, but if price reverses 1/2 the time, that gives you a 50% win loss ratio, risking say 5 pips (spread) to make 15 (stop loss saved), or a 1:3 risk reward ratio.

That’s just the way I look at it, but adjust it to fit your own trading method and style as necessary.

Hi grav!
I have a slight qns on trendline breaks.
Do you personally feel that the 2oclock or 4oclock trrend lines tend to break better compared to the less steep ones?

It seems like the less steep it is, the more fake outs there is?

Im currently look at the eu gu ej and hoping to get a trendline break on those pairs :slight_smile:

Just a quick note that may help others that are currently working on their entries:

After looking back over my trading journal and examining the reasons for entering my bad trades, I formed a hypothesis. Then, these last few days, I have tested that hypothesis, and found it to be true: I can’t enter a counter-trend trade to save my life (this includes, in large part, counter-trend CBLs).

Instead of wasting a lot of energy on learning the counter-trend trades better, I’m just going to drop them altogether. The obvious drawback here is that there’s less trading opportunities. However, I think it would be a much better use of time to study and learn other trend following entries that I have more of an aptitude for than trying to struggle with counter-trend entries that I am clearly not cut out for.

EDIT: After I re-read my post it almost sounds like I’m dropping CBLs. No, I’m just dropping counter-trend CBLs. The only way for me to successfully enter counter-trend CBLs is with wide stop losses, and I really want to get away from doing that. I have found it much easier to enter CBLs in the direction of the trend with tight stop losses, and these tend to run very well for me.

I’ve read in some books that the steeper the trend line the less likely it will continue, but I haven’t seen any accurate testing data so I don’t use that in my trading. I do use the concept that the steeper the trendline, the less likely a counter trend trade will be successful. I really don’t try to predict when a trendline will break since all I have to do is wait and watch for it. I don’t try to get the first 15% of a price move or the last 15%. Picking tops and bottoms is a losing strategy in Forex. I try to get the middle 70% of a price move. I believe most successful and experienced traders follow that strategy.

I agree. I’ve come to the same conclusion. I now do not trade any counter trends that have a trend line greater than 2:00 O’clock or less than 4:00 O’clock. Counter trend trades between 2 and 4 for me require the higher TF trend to be clearly in my direction and I need two other very good reasons to enter the trade in addition to a valid CBL. This comprimise works for me, but you have to develop your own method.

Note that with Tymen’s new method for entering breakouts, or BB walks, already in progress, many more trades are now available per his rules.

ok thanks!
I’ll post my stats end of this week, so far taken only 2 trades this week.