My e-book for trading daily charts - have a read

Hi Michael

Thought I would leave you some feedback following your request earlier this week.

Many thanks for taking the time to teach your system - which I personally love, not least because I usually work office hours for most of the week. Got some nice pips on USD/CAD cross earlier this month.

As a newbie though I find your commentary on your thought process before you go into a trade, both in your e-book and in this thread particularly enlightening and helpful. I know its probably a hassle at times but where you do have the time to do these posts ( as you have done this week ) they are much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Houmous

Iā€™m new to Forex but would like to contribute to this thread. Iā€™m starting off by first backtesting this system, then going to demo, then live. However, Iā€™ve ran into a hiccup with backtesting using the ForexTester software. I canā€™t seem to find a way to setup the SMA to apply to the ā€œFirst Indicatorā€™s Dataā€ like the e-book says to do in MT4. ForexTester only allows the following SMA:

1 - Close
2- Open
3 - High
4- Low
5- (High + Low )/2
6- (High + Low + Close)/3
7- (High + Low + Close + Close)/4

Because I canā€™t seem to emulate the MT4 SMA being applied to ā€œFirst Indicatorā€™s Dataā€ the 8 period SMA and the RSI never cross (never share the same value). This system depends on those indicators crossing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi, All

It was too hard (technically) to get Oandaā€™s charts look the way you are describing them in Metatrader so I decided to try MT. I also imported templates you prepared for 8&8 system. Here are my thoughts.

1. Earlier in this thread I had a couple of questions regard the hiding Sunday candle. Now, in MT, looking at USD/JPY and EUR/USD dailies I see that actually charts are hiding Saturday candle not Sunday one. In other words it seems that it hides days when there is no market activity. It maybe seems strange why Iā€™m having so much trouble around this question, but I want to be 100% sure I understand every detail of how charts are formed to back test the system. Otherwise I donā€™t see how this system can be tested on different brokers.
  2. Another question is about MT - If we look at one chart, why open price of a candle is 1pip different from close price of previous candle? Is the price somehow differently applied to candlesticks?

Thanks a lot,
mike

Youā€™re very welcome and thanks for taking the time to post.

Keep us updated and well done on the CAD trade!

Michael

Mike,

The ā€œSunday candleā€ refers to the first few hours (1 or 2 or 3 depending on what each broker terms as the start of the new day) of Monday trading in Sydney. I wasnā€™t aware of any other Saturday candle. If there is it hasnā€™t affected me!

I trade with FXCM but use FXDD to make my trade decisions. Thatā€™s it. Donā€™t use multiple broker charts as you may get a few different signals. Stick with one and in backtests FXDD worked best.

The gap between candles sometimes is normal as the price has moved 1-2 pips in the time it takes for a new candle to load on the charts. It wonā€™t affect the price much and anyway, if youā€™ve got a borderline cross, itā€™s best to leave the trade alone (in my experience).

Hope that helps some.

wow, its been a while since i last posted on the fozzy method, but in that time iā€™ve learnt a lot.my results have been somewhat mixed, largely because my R:R wasnā€™t good.
i even had to read the original thread at forexfactoryā€“all 175pages of it, the knowledge gained has been priceless,
i would like to thank you micheal for bringing this trading strategy my way and for answering my questions.

i have a question, the past couple of days have seen currencies ranging, and in the book, you talked about setting up a breakout trade. at the risk of asking a stupid question, how does one do this?

i posted some charts below to illustrate this point

PS: never mind the many lines on the charts:)

Hi Michael

Looking good for a short on USD/CAD following a cross on Friday?

Would you normally go in on a Friday signal when the Tokyo markets open Sunday night GMT, or wait until Monday morning?

Apologies for not posting for a while due to other time commitments, especially to butter and houmous (I take the trade when the market opens on Sunday by the way).

Just a quick notice to say Iā€™ll be posting one or two YouTube videos this month on my trades.

Have a great 2008!
Michael

Michael, be sure to post the link to your youtube videos here.

BTW, I read the first 105 pages of the original thread on that other forum. I also followed the other related threads like your journal and the others with BeachBum and the rest. Good stuff.

Iā€™ve been doing some backtesting of my own flavor of this system with what I think are good results and Iā€™ve been demoing with equally good results. My winning percentage is only about 60% in my backtesting as I seem to be way more liberal than others in the trades I take. But I figure the wins more than compensate for the losses and Iā€™m happy with the results of the backtest and demo. Iā€™m going to start rolling with this system on a live account no later than Monday of next week, maybe even today.

Hope to see you here soon.

apologies accepted micheal. looking forward to your youtube videos.
i still wouldnā€™t mind a reply to my question though.

Just a question on timing. If you need to check for signals in the previous day and then wait to see where the pair opens, assuming you only check once per day, then youā€™d have to check right near a major market open, right?

So Iā€™m in EST (and I work full time), so it seems as though Iā€™d trade on the Tokyo market in the evening. I can check the prior dayā€™s signals and then place a trade when it opens at 7pm local time assuming the signal holds up after open.

Does that make sense? I canā€™t trade USA because itā€™s only open while Iā€™m at work and if I trade Europe in the morning, the market has already opened.

Sorry, Iā€™m a noob. Trying to understand the logistics trading a daily system with a full-time job.

dhannum, you are supposed to place your trades at 5pm EST. Having said that you may run into occasions where placing your trade an hour or 2 after 5pm works to your advantage. The reason I say that is because in my observation most pairs actually retrace from the direction of your trade until at least the Tokyo open. This would give you a better entry point than if you entered at 5pm. I havenā€™t tested this to see whether it is a theory I would want to implement but you may want to observe a couple pairs to see how they behave and go from there. Personally, Iā€™m sticking with placing trades at 5pm for now. Iā€™m just throwing out alternatives for your situation. Either way, do some good amount of testing and demo before using your own money.

Really? Arenā€™t I supposed to wait for an open to see if the signal is still valid? If I place a trade at 5pm (say Thursday, for example), then either Iā€™m doing it just after I saw a signal on Wednesday but before the next open (bad), OR I saw a signal on Tuesday, market opened Wednesday with the signal still valid, but I waited until Wednesdayā€™s close to put in the trade (not bad, but inefficient).

Did that make sense? If you have to wait for an open to confirm, 5pm seems like the wrong time to trade.

Caveat: Iā€™m a newbie. I could easily be wrong :slight_smile:

Or perhaps you mean that you should place the trade as soon as the previous dayā€™s candle closes and the next one opens? (which is probably 5pm for some brokers, but Iā€™m told varies)

Just an ideaā€¦

^^^^This is your answer. Yes, when the previous candle closes. As the e-book states, this system works best with a broker whose candle closes at 4:59 PM EST and a new one opens at 5:00 PM EST. So for example, it is approx 2:45 PM EST on Janaury 15th right now and AUDJPY crossed earlier this morning signaling to go short. If you wish to take this trade you are supposed to wait until a new candle opens at 5:00 PM EST later today. However, Iā€™m not suggesting you take this trade because it is close to what may be regarded as a resistance point. Iā€™m trying to figure out whether it is good to take these trades close to resistance or further away from resistance. Another factor to consider is that the candle that created this cross to go short is a long one. Iā€™m not sure how these work out in the end.

I backtested this system using three months of data and had a 60% winning percentage, but some handsome profits. I stopped backtesting because I was unsure of the validity of my crosses as well as the historical data I used. I then demoed it and had some very good trades. Then I got hit by a brick when I went live with it last week. My first 4 trades were losing trades. My confidence was shattered. This lead me to start looking at ways to filter out the bad ones. Iā€™m aiming for a 70% win rate, possibly 70%. I think this system, depending on how you implement it, can be profitable with a 50% win rate. That was my win rate last week and I made a 1% profit. I also noticed in my backtesting that I made better than 1% profit during times I was at 50% or slightly under. The problem with a 50% win rate is that it is nerve wracking and can wreak havoc on your confidence. Iā€™m still looking at ways to filter out the crappy trades.

Good luck.

Thank you for your help. Iā€™m too new to be able to offer advice, but youā€™ve helped me to understand. Best of luck.

[QUOTE=theYardie;35750
I backtested this system using three months of data and had a 60% winning percentage, but some handsome profits. I stopped backtesting because I was unsure of the validity of my crosses as well as the historical data I used. I then demoed it and had some very good trades. Then I got hit by a brick when I went live with it last week. [B]My first 4 trades were losing trades. My confidence was shattered. [/B]This lead me to start looking at ways to filter out the bad ones. Iā€™m aiming for a 70% win rate, possibly 70%. I think this system, depending on how you implement it, can be profitable with a 50% win rate. That was my win rate last week and I made a 1% profit. I also noticed in my backtesting that I made better than 1% profit during times I was at 50% or slightly under. [B]The problem with a 50% win rate is that it is nerve wracking and can wreak havoc on your confidence.[/B] Iā€™m still looking at ways to filter out the crappy trades.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

You went live much too quickly with insufficient preparation. You have to have enough backtest and forward test data to be sure of the performance of your system over time. Without that you cannot have sensible risk management since you do not know what the biggest drawdown of the system is which is critical information. For instance how common is a 4 trade losing streak? What is the longest losing streak in the system? Are the results of your trades consistent with this system in this kind of market (heavily trending on many pairs) etc etc

With regards to the second highlighted comment this goes to understanding your own psychology. A friend of mine trades equities and makes a fortune with only a 30% hit rate (I couldnt do this in a million years). Again you need to have understood yourself and how you will react in certain situations long before you put real money into this thing

Avoid getting burned and turned away from trading as so many do. When you have found an approach that suits you then demo trade it or trade it live with tiny amounts of money (or both) until you can do it in your sleep and know its performance inside out. For me it takes about 6 months with an approach in real time before I begin to have some faith in it but of course we are all different. Dont forget it is the newly beginning traders that are giving their money away to the big boys and the more experienced retail traders. This is inevitable but minimise the losses in this formative stage

Sorry if it sounds like I am on my soapbox (but I am!) - good luck

Tony, no problem I know youā€™re trying to help. Everything you typed is correct. Iā€™ve read a few of your posts and youā€™re always helpful. At the same time, I donā€™t regret for one minute going live with this when I did. That one week taught me infinitely more than I did when I backtested or demo traded. Not to devalue backtesting and demo trading. I still do them. I decided to try live for one week and assess from there. In doing so I made a concerted effort to limit the amount I was willing to lose by way of not risking more than 1% capital, mainly risking less than 1% on my trades. What I found was that no matter how much you read about the psychology of trading, you really donā€™t know until you put some real money down. After that I realized what I needed to do in my demo trading and the general approach I needed to take in trading. I found I was just treating it the way I should from a psychological, discipline and regimented standpoint. I also discovered what I found to be acceptable win rate regardless of the amount of money I was winning.

Iā€™m afraid that had I continued to just backtest for 6 months one of several things would likely have occured: 1) I would go on and accept the win rate I was getting as long as I was making decent fake money. I would then get upset at myself once I went live and realized my demo results werenā€™t satisfactory and felt like I essentially wasted 6 months. 2) I would have demoed the system, not feel satisfied with it, move on to another system, rinse and repeat indefinitely. I decided to give it a shot with limited risk while planning to get out if things didnā€™t go well. Thatā€™s what I did even though I made 1% profit. The experience has actually helped me look further into other aspects of trading. Iā€™ve actually researched and now demoing ways to filter the bad trades, something I had no interest in doing when I was demoing and backtesting. Yes, I realize this might be a personality flaw of mine but thatā€™s another thing my short live experience brought to light. It taught me a lot about myself.

Once again, I donā€™t take offense to your comments and wouldnā€™t necessarily recommend my approach to others. I just found that I needed to test the waters before moving further. I actually feel better about trading in general now that Iā€™ve done that than the uncertainty I felt before.

Thanks again. Your comments and candor are always appreciated. A noob like myself definitely wants to learn from a veteran like you.

Fair enough. Thats a well argued rebuttal. You seem to know yourself well and are being appropriately cautious. These are vital traits. I also learn best by losing money and interestingly it doesnt matter how much. Although not for everyone I move to tiny lots for trading fairly quickly for similar reasons to yours

I donā€™t know where to post this question but I noticed journals are talked about in this thread a bit soā€¦

Does anyone have a good spreadsheet layout to keep track of their trades? In fact if anyone is interested in helping me lay out a design Iā€™ll program a website backed by a database to track our journals (each person with their own login). But first just a spreadsheet. :wink: