My fiance got scammed with a ""crypto"" scheme

The way you “liked” this post @dushimes… </3

It’s my way of showing support. It doesn’t mean I’m happy about your misfortune. I’m on your side.

3 Likes

I don’t even think it was a broker. :frowning: So, this is just what I can remember from what he said to me earlier. (I’ll ask him for more details just in case I missed anything. :sob: )

Okay so. Someone sent him a message on Viber saying that they’re crypto traders and that with each of their trades, they can easily give back your investments. :sob: Tbh, I haven’t read the conversation and I’m not sure how they convinced him, but he initially gave Php 5,000. :open_mouth: And when the money returned with an additional Php 2,000, he got excited thinking it was real. :sob:

Thanks, as always. :sob: I get it. It was kinda funny though.

Now that I think about it, I haven’t asked what the name of this organization is. :frowning: He’s currently at work and I’m over here trying to process everything. :sob:

1 Like

You’ll need as many details as possible.

You’ve got a lot of knowledge just from reading similar stories on this forum. It may be a good idea to think about how he got into this situation.

Losing such a large amount of money in this way is a red flag about his risk assessment.This is an opportunity for him to grow, and for you to help him.

Try to find out what you can as quickly as possible, and start searching the forum to see what others have done in similar situations.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

But he didn’t come up with the idea to ask his girlfriend who is an experienced trader if this investment is a good idea? Come on!

3 Likes

Thank you so much dushimes. :sob: I’m also currently looking for ways to maybe get the money back. :open_mouth: Although tbh I’ve kinda accepted that it’s never gonna happen. :confused: I’ll keep reading around though. I’m just determined to work even harder to make up for the money that we lost. :pray:

3 Likes

I asked him about this too! :sob: Like, I said that it would’ve been nice if he consulted me before investing our savings into something that I’m familiar with. :frowning: I could’ve asked everyone here what you guys think first. :frowning:

2 Likes

So Sorry to hear that. :frowning_face: :slightly_frowning_face: The “allure of quick profit” still make the smartest people take action without thinking. There’s always someone more devious than you.

Normally in those “investments” you don’t get anything back. When the investment is done you get blocked and that’s it. But when they gave a return on the first time, they made him believe in them, and that did the trick. :anguished:, Some people might stop with one investment since they got something back, but this time unfortunately they won. Logic went out and darkness took over and made him re-invest. So sorry to hear that.

Only way is to move forward and find some real life tangible side income to recover the loss. Definitely not an Online thing, but a real life side income. It may take sometime.

But if he / you both can start something as a side income after work hours, just short term, to recover. It will be good and that will make Him/ both of you work twice as hard since you WANT to recover. not to continue long term, but for short term until recovery.

Hope you both find a way to cope with it and make some good decisions to recover the amount lost.

Wish both of you Good Luck! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this, @Nick1864! Really appreciate the support. :sob: I have a feeling that he’s also feeling pressured to save enough money for our wedding that he he pounced on the opportunity to get easy and fast profits. :sob: I’m also currently looking for more things I can do on the side since the wedding I want is kinda expensive. :sob: Of course, I’m also considering just toning everything down and not going for the stuff I initially wanted. :confused:

2 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear that, it happens to the best of us with the recent crypto craze and all, I know of people around me who lost a lot despite me explaining the red flags that comes with these sketchy schemes. but pls do bare in mind (though tough) but you guys still have each other, try to get over the lose (though not easy) and focus on the best that can be done in the current situation, we will be rooting for you guys and I believe you guys will still have the best wedding ever.

4 Likes

horrified, dismayed and upset to read this thread, i’m so very sorry to hear it, @ria_rose :sob:

i don’t know what to say except that i agree very strongly with every word said by @Nick1864 above

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that.
Crypto investment needs massive background checking.
And I think people who says they can make big profit in a day, week, they are all scammers.

If you read the book “Market Wizards”, you may know what is the realistic expectation for a year.

2 Likes

You should go to police and report fraud

2 Likes

Yes! That’s a great idea. It never hurts to get it documented.

1 Like

One thing to watch out for going forward - known as refund and recovery scams.

More info here from the FTC.

Refund and Recovery Scams | Consumer Advice (ftc.gov)

4 Likes

First off, I am very sorry to hear this.

he initially gave Php 5,000. :open_mouth: And when the money returned with an additional Php 2,000, he got excited thinking it was real.

One of my professors used to say this: “Folks, there is NO such thing as a free lunch!” (this is the ONLY thng that I remember from his class after more than three decades :sweat_smile:)

Anyway, if somebody found a “holy grail”, then they would share it with their family, friends and NOT with total strangers!

4 Likes

Hi ria_rose, I am so sorry that your partner has experienced that and you have my sympathy (and empathy). This reminds me of a time when I was having difficulty running my scrap yard in the early 1980s and a bad actor legally stole a car from me and shipped it to Ireland. That single action tipped me over the edge and I went technically bankrupt to the tune of half a decent house, and took a decision to carry that debt over the next six years instead of declaring bankruptcy. Though the following six years were very difficult, and resulted in divorcing my wife because our belief systems had grown so far apart, I always say that I would never have it any other way. Because my life, from that experience onwards, took a big turn for the better and ten years later the past loss seemed insignificant in the greater order of things. When my new wife and I were married we had a very small wedding party with only close relatives, because we took the joint decision that for us, it was more important to build our business capital than to provide a free event for hundreds of “acquaintances”, and for what purpose? To show the world how we were happy to get into debt just to show we could afford a big wedding?

As harsh as this sounds, I have met far more poor people who are happier with their lives than rich people. Wealth is a mindset and when you strip out all the jiggery pokery of rocket science financial wizards, the words of a gifted 21 year old millionaire roofer I met at a management conference in the late 1980s always ring in my ears. When I asked him how had he accumulated over £1M by the age of 21, he said "I am in awe of all the really clever people at this conference, but it is very simple. At the end of a job, no matter how simple or complicated you always have to end up with more cash than when you started the job. I control the work of about 100 builders and I have 10 direct reports. I have 3 rules. 1 The guy who does the job gets paid more than the guy who manages him 2 My direct reports can not have more than 10 direct reports themself, and they can’t take more from the job than each of their reports do and 3 If any of our associates or their direct line managers has an accident they can no longer work for our organisation.

As Dushimes has advised, try to smile and look on this experience as a win, not as a loss. You and your partner need to learn lessons from this because it could turn out to be the cheapest lesson of your future lives. Do the lessons learned exercise. Talk about the need to make such important decisions together, not apart, and whatever the outcome, do not accept anyone who treats you not as an equal.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, and I am sending you a big dose of “glass half full” vibes. Please think on them for the next few days and have that difficult conversation with your partner, face to face, not via social media. :pray: :100: :heart:

6 Likes

Thank you soooo much, jingoy! :pleading_face: I really really appreciate the support you guys have been giving! It hasn’t been easy and I’ve been trying to get more jobs and side gigs to make up for what we have lost. :open_mouth: It might have set us back when it comes to our wedding preparations but I’d like to think it’ll make us stronger once we fully recover. :pray:

1 Like