My MT4 Strategy Tester is slow/frozen - HELP!

Something seems to have happened to my MT4 Strategy Tester (or computer, I don’t know). I have two MT4 clients installed on my computer and the Strategy Tester on both of them has become very slow in backtesting. I have no idea what has happened and I would be most grateful if anyone could come up with a solution.

Earlier this year when I started a backtest of an EA MT4 would finish the task within seconds (or minutes if I tested for a long period). Now it just seems to be stuck and nothing is happening. I don’t even get a clock on the right side of the tester, showing remaining time. It’s the same with both clients. One client connected to broker IG Markets and the other one to broker IC Markets, but that shouldn’t make any difference. What could be wrong?

slow means memory issue
it could be the ea itself consuming to much memory
or an other application in your pc

1 Like

Well it can’t be the EA’s, because all of the EA’s I’ve tried are old and tested many times with success. My problems started this spring. I will have to look into the memory thing. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve done several memory tests now with nothing wrong showing up. I also opened up a new MT4 demo account with Dukascopy and downloaded their MT4 client. I’m having the same problem with that client. This is very annoying. :expressionless:

open your Windows task manager
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/7-ways-launch-task-manager-windows-8
and go to process to see which App is eating up memory
of course running your pc under same conditions

I did, and nothing seems to eat memory, but… I also tried to do some backtesting with the “built in” MACD Sample EA, and it was successful. It ran just like it should. I’m starting to think it’s because the EA’s I tried earlier all have at least one of three indicators in different constellations. I will try some other EA’s that doesn’t use those indicators.