My Trade Journal

First trade of the week was placed yesterday going long GBP/USD @ 1.3138.

The entry was based on 1.3150 being a pre-determined level of the daily low from the 14th September and price on the short-term H1 had broken upwards and so is counter-trend.

I took the long on the support at 1.3138 and held overnight. During this mornings opening price again bounced from the 1.3150 level again and I held until being stopped out having moved the stop during the trade and being stopped out for a 40pip gain.

Errors:

The error was in moving the stop too aggressively. It should have been moved under the new swing lows in which case I would have still been in the trade. Maybe the 5 prior losses beforehand influenced my decisions in wanting to ensure a winning trade but I know that placing the stops under the swing lows in the long run will ensure greater pip hauls and so I need to stick to the plan in the long run.

1.3220 is now resistance and I have support at 1.3150. Daily chart shows the downtrend and so if we get back below 1.3150 then shorts back in play but if we get above 1.3220 then 1.3270 is in play. 1.3180 is yesterdays high and could eb an area to long to the 1.3270 area.

Above 1.3270 and we could be in line with the weekly trend which is bullish and so still options on both sides in play.

Again I would post a chart but still as a new user I am unable to.

Two trades in the last two days. First was an entry long having watched price bounce off the 1.3180 level and I chased the price, which was an issue and an error as I was chasing price as fearing I was missing out.

I took a 30pip stop loss and was stopped out.

Stupidly as I was stopped out I realised it was just taking some stops out and was also back at the 1.3180 level so had I waited for the retracement this is an area I would have gone long and so I decided to re-enter @ the 1.3187 level.

When I woke this morning I saw price approaching the 1.3270 level which was the resistance I noted above but as it had already moved from this area on the overnight trading I thought it may breakout and so held but moved the stop loss up.

After the bounce at 1.3237 I decided if we broke below I should exit and take some profits. I was stopped out whilst at work and when I saw the down-move I thought that after price had dipped below 1.3214 it could be a short, as it was the open of the day.

Price then dropped sharply to 1.3150 and although I had this as support I thought it would be a hunt for shorts tomorrow but in the interim period price has bounced back above the 1.3270 level and so maybe the bullish bias is back fro tomorrow??

That said as I am typing the 1.3265 level could be interesting? Stop raid at 1.3240 but I think that is S&R that has worked well so Asia could push higher overnight?

Bought at market 1.3266

Stop @ 1.3236

Initially looking for 1.3340 area

Stopped out on the above trade for a 30pip gain.

No trades this week. Set a limit order at 1.3220 last night for this morning’s open but price only got to 1.3212 and so missed the move.

Hi N,

It will be helpful when you can start posting charts since it’s hard to follow at this point. I can’t remember how many posts you need before you get to that point. I just posted on other people’s threads and built up my post count, and then I was able to post charts relatively quickly.

It’s hard to offer any thoughts, I’m not sure if I just missed it, or if you didn’t mention what pair you were trading on those initial trades - but I didn’t see it. I kind of follow with the GBPUSD one you mentioned on Oct 5, but still hard to keep flipping back n forth between charts and your post… I’ll be watching for future posts. Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for looking at the thread. Yes, primarily it is GBPUSD I am trading but the early posts related to the AUDUSD.

I’ll look into the post count and get some charts up from Sunday so it’s easier to follow along.

One trade Friday, lost 10 pips selling the GBPUSD which could be an error as price had hit and bounced away from a long term target @ 1.3102.

As I was watching the price early morning, I saw that we were retracing to an old low (1.3132) from the 19th October and when price rejected at 1.3143 around 08:00 on Friday I decided to short after it bounced at 1.3116 and re-touched 1.3132.

The immediate flow was down but when I was stopped at 10pips I knew the 1.3132 level was important and so should have had more conviction in seeing the flows change and gone long like I did a few trades ago as noted in post #4.

The 1.3102 level was a high level support line as it is an area where the initial run up between the 6th and 13th October was being bought and so seeing a bounce here and change in flows should have been better noted. Maybe as I was trading off my phone in the AM before work was not ideal as I don’t have the areas noted on here but then again I knew the area so maybe making an excuse to myself for the error.

1.3140 & 1.3160 also offered good intra-day longs too but I wasn’t at the charts and so didn’t get the opportunity to trade these.

I’d still like to see price back above the 1.3220 level before I start just looking at longs and so will keep an open mind.

If we get above 1.3220 then I would be looking for longs in to 1.3320 and 1.3400 in the next week.

Hopefully get some charts up on Sunday.

No charts yet and no trades so far this week.

Just noting down some levels on EURUSD for my files as may trade these levels should they be hit.

There’s a big uptrend on the daily chart and back above 1.1880 would be looking for longs.

Below 1.1660 longer retracement and so would look for shorts.

Took one trade this afternoon after the large move up this AM. I waited fro price to retrace to an old area of resistance and expected some support.

Entered long at 1.3233 but was stopped out after moving my SL up to +15 given it was nearing the end of day.

With that said, after price re-tested and again bounced at 1.3225 I have decided to re-enter as I think we could trade higher overnight.

Only got 10pips on the overnight trade to add to the 15 from earlier.

Have re-entered long at 1.3194 after price rejected an old S&R level.

Stop will go below 1.3180 level.

Looking to see if we can resume back above 1.3280.

This trade didn’t work out and we appear to still be in the range, stopped out for -15pips.

EURUSD has dipped below that 1.1660 noted above and will be interested in any price action back at this level going forward.

Two trades last week, the first a short on GBPUSD after watching the 1.3280 high being taken I wanted to see it back below this level again to any up move afterwards. In late London session I shorted at 1.3295 and price hugged this level through Asia and then back in the London session started to trade off.

My initial target was 1.3080 and having seen the big move down after the rate announcement I decided to take all the position off at 1.3140 for +140pips.

Having closed the trade, I knew it was an error.

I had missed the sudden drop as I working on someone else at the time and so when I opened my platform to check on the position and seeing it 140pips in profit, I decided to take the money but I knew that it was most likely a retracement and so should have, at the very lest left some of the position on and waited for my target which was hit a few hours later.

So a good win, but a lesson learnt.

Going forward, I need to think about how I handle moves of over 100pips in such a short time and whether it is better to take the position off as I did, or wait for the overall move to take place, which isn’t always certain to happen anyway.

I suppose as I continue, I will experience more of these trades and then I can make a more informed decision in 3 months time.

The second trade was the EURUSD which, as I mentioned above, I would be interested in the PA around that level in future.

All week price was in that area and having watched on Thursday the price trading back above the level but closing below, I decided I would enter a trade and saw a little resistance at 1.1648 and went short with a 30pip stop.

The price consolidated until NFP where it wicked up, took mt stop and then traded lower for the rest of the day closing at 1.1608.

Trading around high news events is always risky with your SL but, I traded the plan and took my level and so I’m not too disappointed. Still think we have lower to go with this pair and so will be looking for more short entries next week.

Isn’t it irritating when that happens ? It happens that you get stopped out, then the expected move tkes place without you, really quite often too. But to have put your stop where it wouldn’t be harmed would have been wrong on that particular trade imho.
Some will say "Don’t trade when news is expected"
Anyway, good to report your losers as well as the winners :sunglasses:

Thanks for the comment, and yes, it is irritating but is part and parcel of the game. I think every trade should have a defined risk and subsequently a SL order as a loser can quickly get away from you and ruin many weeks / months of hard work.

People will say don’t trade when news is expected but usually those news events are the catalyst for the move.

IMO, a good technical level is an area to be interested in and then you are involved in the larger moves.

That’s how I see it but trading is so complex that others see it different and so stick with what you feel gives you the best edge.

Hopefully I am improving as this thread moves along and then I can really start to build an account up.

Charts I am watching this week and their price levels.

GBPUSD - Bias - Shorts
EURUSD - Bias - Shorts
AUDUSD - Bias - Shorts
USDCAD - Bias - Longs

Basically I think the Dollar is getting strong again and so want to trade in its direction.

You may be right, but if you take all four of those and you are wrong about the dollar,- that’s 4x your risk tolerance down the pan - maybe look at some unrelated pairs to spread the risk ?

Hi Falstaff, I’ll usually only trade one of the pairs at a time but these are the pairs I am monitoring at the minute for an entry signal.

Hi NTM,

No probs mate - if you never make a mistake bigger than that - You’ve led a charmed life - just me pointig out a potential problem to watch out for :sunglasses:

Hi Falstaff, I get what you are saying, and believe me I’ve made plenty of mistakes in the past, hence why I now have my levels marked and unless I see my entry criteria at those levels then I simply won’t trade.

Nothing this week, as yet, still there is tomorrow but in no rush.