Need help with order placing on MT4

I am so confused with placing a pending order. If I want to go long, and I want to put in an order at an entry price that is above the current market price, is this a buy stop or a buy limit order? Also, why do I always get an ‘Invalid S/L or T/P’ when i I try to place an order. Can someone break this down for me, and give an actual example? I appreciate it…thanks!

Think of it like a street. If you’re driving down the road and come to a stop sign, what do you do? You [B]stop[/B], then continue on in the same direction. This is a buy (or sell) stop. You want the price to keep going in the same direction. Which direction the trade will go is determined by whether it’s a buy or sell, and the fact that it’s a stop means you want the price to continue in the same direction.

What if you’re driving down a street and the road ends? You’ve hit the [B]limit [/B]of the street, and have to turn aound and go the other way. This is a buy (or sell) limit. You want to the price to hit a certain point, and turn around and go the other way.

Make sense? If not I’ll try to give more examples. :slight_smile:

Wow, thanks Phil, for responding so fast! Very kind of you…So with a buy stop, if i want to go long and want the price to keep going up,that makes sense. but why would you place a buy limit if you want the price to hit the ceiling and turn down…if you want to be in a long trade…? i don’t get it. also, my demo/broker requires a 50 pip difference in placing an order…(any thoughts on this, as to the amount, 50 seems high)…! thankyou again! pippy…

That’s my fault, my description was a little misleading. You wouldn’t place a buy limit if you want it to hit a ceiling and turn down, you would do sell limit. It’s so confusing because you are wanting the price to go up to trigger a sell order. Those two things seem like opposites. :slight_smile:

If price is currently at 1.5000, and you believe it’s going to go down to 1.4000 and then shoot back up you would place a buy limit.

Thanks Phil for breaking it down “Barney Style” as my son would say. It makes perfect sense!

lol barney style is cute