New and looking for feedback on my education and approach

Hello everyone!

So, I have been revisiting Forex on and off for two years. Asides from playing on a demo account I have done no trading because I have been travelling. Now I have time to focus on it. This is how I am approaching Forex, and I am looking for feedback from people who know how to do it.

Firstly, I just want to say I am not expecting a lot to happen in the first year. I think some people approach Forex thinking they will make hundreds every week. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. In terms of success, I am going to judge it % and not $.

I know I need an education, and BabyPips is great for this. In addition to this, I am currently reading this book, which I have found very useful so far. I also watch Andrew Mitchem’s videos on YouTube. - have you guys heard of him and if so is he a good source to learn from? Do you have any other sources for one to learn from?

Moving forward, I’m going to use a demo account where I will use one strategy at a time at equal lengths to see which works for me and which do not. I plan to do this until I have found one which I am comfortable with using and which consistently returns more wins than losses and only then will I slowly transitioning into a live account.

I know psychology plays a big part. We all know it, yet people still fall victim to it. One of the things I have done is I have changed the depreciating candlestick on MetaTrader to blue as opposed to red, as colours have a psychological impact and red is seen as bad, stop, negative etc. Does anyone have anymore recommendations?

I also plan to focus on two currency pairs, the EUR/USD and GBP/USD, instead of jumping from currency to currency and looking for an opening. If I can’t see one on these two, I will leave it and wait. I think this might help with the psychological aspect of trading too.

When it comes to risk, I plan to risk 5% of my capital. So that in each trade I know I will not lose no more than 5% of what I have. Is this too high?

There is one question I have which I believe I know the answer to but I just want to make sure. I think it surrounds leverage. Ignoring stop losses for a second, if you place a bad trade and it drains your account, will it stop at how much capital is in your account or can you go into debt and owe money to a broker?

I know this is a bit of a Q&A and I wish I could give something back, and I will do so in the future once I have knowledge to share. Any feedback would be amazing and truly appreciated. :blush:

Are you definitely committed to day-trading? Day-trading is the hardest for of trading to be successful at from a standing start, and its often said that trading is the hardest thing any of us have ever undertaken. When most people do or say “trading” they mean day-trading, and since 90% of traders fail very quickly, this doesn’t look like an easy way to make money.

As far as capital risk per trade is concerned I don’t say 5% is too much on its own, but bear in mind that the two pairs you list are highly correlated. So 5% capital risk per trade is probably going to mean 10% capital risk per basket at any one time. Adding other EUR or GBP-based pairs or USD counter pairs only makes this worse and it would be easy to run risk up to 50% over the basket of trades. Caution is needed.

I like your approach. Really forex trading is a marathon race not sprint that just you come into the market and will start earning. In the beginning I have totally dependent on BabyPips and some other online resources. But I had not gone through any trading books. Yes, I have seen Andrew Mitchem’s videos, those are very helpful for learning. Also demo trading helps you to learn I guess you already feel it.

Just to clarify. Have you finished the school of pipsology here on baby pips?

Yes, BabyPips school is the most useful one! If you didn’t, then go for it, you’ll be benefited for sure.

Good thing is that you are not expecting a lot. The poverb Slow and Steady wins the race is very much applicable in trading. Yes prove your strategy on demo first. I usually use black and white candlestick, as it looks good to me. Yes 5% is a bit high. But it’s better to experiment with demo.