Newbie confused

Hi all…I’m newbie on this forex trading. There is one thing I’m still confused, I found a similar question on another forum. But it seemed the answer is not clear enough. So I just quote this same question, I hope I can get better answer here…:slight_smile:
[I]
In the MetaTrader Trade Terminal, I see the following figures (and my understanding of their meaning -:))

• Balance: the amount before orders are placed

• Equity: balance + gain/loss not yet realized of open orders

• Margin: this figure is set to be different from dealers to dealers. For example: IBFX always take margin = 1000$*lot (for 100:1 standard account), so 0.5 lot would make margin = 500$, whereas other traders would take into account the entry price (EURUSD buy 0.5 lot at 1.5280 would make margin = 500$*1.528) etc.

• Free margin: equity - locked margin

• Margin level: equity/ locked margin

I’m confused by the widespread use of the “margin” term and such expression as “margin call at 50%”, “cannot place trades if margin at 100%” that are spoken out there on Internet. So the most useful figure I will look at is the margin level % mentioned above in the trade terminal. Now my questions are:

• At what “margin level” (i.e equity/ locked margin) will a margin call happen? At 100% (i.e no free margin left, just locked margin)?

• At what level will the dealer close out your trades to prevent them from suffering your loss? At 50% (loss eating into half of locked margin)?

• How can leverage (100:1 or 200:1) work “against” you? How can we say higher leverage (200:1) is riskier? I’m not clear about this because the leverage will decide the “locked margin” figure, and just that. Profit or loss are calculated straigth away from lot size, nothing to do with leverage. With a higher leverage like 200:1, there will be a lower “locked margin”, thus a higher “margin level”. A higher “margin level” is always good for you and works for you, why could it be “against” you?[/I]

Thank you guys…

Welcome to this forum.

I’m going to address your post from the bottom up.

Everything you said in your last paragraph is correct.

High [B]maximum allowable leverage[/B] (that’s the leverage stated by your broker) is good. It cannot hurt you. So, the answer to your question is that it cannot be “against you”.

High maximum allowable leverage gives you low margin requirements — that is, less of your money is tied up in margin when you trade. This is a good thing. Also, high maximum allowable leverage removes the threat of premature margin calls.

As long as you control your RISK by controlling your position size, your [B]actual leverage used[/B] will be a matter of no concern. You can easily calculate it at any time, of course (actual leverage used = position size / account balance) — but, it doesn’t matter what the number is.

You know all this, which puts you ahead of 95% of the newbies out there.

Get the highest maximum allowable leverage you can get from your broker. Then, control your risk on every trade. Always. No exceptions, ever. That means: always protect your position with appropriate stop-losses.

With high maximum allowable leverage and proper risk management, margin requirements and margin calls will never be a problem for you. You can ignore them.

And the rest of the questions in your post will have been answered, or will no longer be relevant.

Thank you Clint…

As long as you control your RISK by controlling your position size, your [B]actual leverage used[/B] will be a matter of no concern. You can easily calculate it at any time, of course (actual leverage used = position size / account balance) — but, it doesn’t matter what the number is.

You know all this, which puts you ahead of 95% of the newbies out there.

Get the highest maximum allowable leverage you can get from your broker. Then, control your risk on every trade. Always. No exceptions, ever. That means: always protect your position with appropriate stop-losses.

With high maximum allowable leverage and proper risk management, margin requirements and margin calls will never be a problem for you. You can ignore them.

And the rest of the questions in your post will have been answered, or will no longer be relevant.

So how do I calculate my risk? Let say if I have capital USD 1000 with leverage of 1:500 and I want to risk 2% of my capital only…

What position size would be effective? and how many pips do I put for my maximum if I don’t want to get margin call? I know that the stop loss is a matter of one’s risk preference, but I just want to know how to calculate the maximum pips of losses…

From your first post, I got the impression that you know all this stuff. Maybe I misunderstood you.

Let’s run through a simple example of how you would calculate everything by hand. Then, I will refer you to a
[B]Position Size Calculator[/B], here on this website, that will do it all for you.

Here’s the long way of doing it, by hand:

Let’s say you have a $1,000 micro account. That’s an account which allows you to trade in increments of 1,000 units
(1 micro-lot). And let’s say that you want to trade the EUR/USD, and you are willing to risk no more than 2% of your account on this trade.

Right away, you know two things: You know that your maximum loss on this trade (if it turns out to be a loser) will be [B]$20[/B] (2% of your account balance). And you know that each pip is worth [B]$0.10 per micro-lot[/B] of position size.

You want to figure out:

• where should you place your stop?

• how many micro-lots can you trade?

Regarding your stop-loss, I’m going to say more about that in a minute. For now, let’s say that you decide to set your stop-loss [B]50 pips from your entry price.[/B]

If you trade one micro-lot, and get stopped out, then your loss will be 50 pips x $0.10 = $5. But, you are willing to risk $20. So, obviously, [B]you can trade 4 micro-lots.[/B] If your 4 micro-lot position gets stopped out, your loss will be
50 pips x $0.10 per pip per micro-lot x 4 micro-lots = $20.

That was easy. You can do that one in your head. But, sometimes the numbers don’t work out evenly. In that case, you could do the math this way:

[B]Number of micro-lots = (Account balance x risk %) / (Stop-loss x pip-value)[/B]

For the example above, this works out to:

Number of micro-lots = ($1,000 x 0.02) / (50 x $0.10) = 4 micro-lots, as before.

Suppose that your stop-loss was set at 35 pips. In this case,

Number of micro-lots = ($1,000 x 0.02) / (35 x $0.10) = 5.71 micro-lots.

You can’t trade a fraction of a micro-lot, so you have to round this down to 5 micro-lots. (If you round it up to 6 micro-lots, you will violate your 2% risk limit.)

Make sure that you fully understand HOW position size is calculated. After that, you can let the Position Size Calculator do it for you. Here’s a link to the Calculator in the Babypips Tool-box —

Position Size Calculator: Free Online Forex Position Sizing Calculator

Returning to the topic of setting a stop-loss, you said in your last post —

What you are really saying is that you think your stop should be set according to your pain threshold. And I disagree with that way of doing it.

Support and resistance levels on your chart should tell you where price is likely to advance to, or retreat to, and these levels should guide your choice of a stop-loss location.

When placing your sell-stop below an obvious support level, or placing your buy-stop above an obvious resistance level, you should consider where the majority of traders are likely to be placing [B]their[/B] stops, and then you should place [B]your[/B] stop further away — because stop-hunting occurs. Market-makers know exactly where clusters of stops are resting, and they often have the power to drive price into those clusters, clearing them out. You don’t want your stop to be one of the stops picked off.

If you don’t have a good working knowledge of support and resistance, then you have no choice but to pick a location for your stop-loss at random. In this case, using your pain threshold as a guide is as good a way, as any, to pick a random location.

One final point. You seem to be concerned about the possibility of a margin call. With your tight control on risk (your 2% limit), [B]you are at no risk of a margin-call.[/B]

To satisfy your curiosity, here’s how you calculate how far away from a margin-call you actually are:

You said that the maximum allowable leverage on your account is 500:1. This means that MARGIN is 0.2% (two-tenths of 1%) on each position.

When you place the trade described above, your broker will set aside about $8.40 of your $1,000 account as margin. ($8.40 is 0.2% of your [B]3,000 euro position size[/B]). You would have to lose all of the remaining $991.60 in your account, before a margin-call would be issued. In other words, your 3-micro-lot position would have to go 3,305 pips against you in order to trigger a margin-call. Not very likely!

Gee…Thanks a lot Clint…very clear explanation. Now I understand the concept of position sizing and how to maintain it…just need to get my feet wet…

Apart from those topic above, why some of the brokers or some websites show us that high leverage is risky and could harm you? From what I think, if one apply the concept of tight money management, it shouldn’t be much of a problem…

Now regarding the stop loss…I quite understand about support and resistance, but the question is, when the above scenario takes place, what would you do? do you place the stop loss according to the support area? or would you play your 50pips below your purchase px? if it’s the first, could it be too tight if one enter the market near support area…

Your question is almost identical to this question, which I answered on a previous thread:

Exactly. If your broker offers you 100:1 leverage, and you take that to mean that you can place trades which are 100 times the actual size of your account, then you will be in very big trouble, very quickly.

On the other hand, if you set a sensible limit on the amount of risk you are willing to take on each trade, and stick to your limit, then the leverage you actually use will take care of itself…

It might help you to read that entire thread — 301 Moved Permanently

There isn’t one short, simple answer to that question.

Support and resistance levels are visual representations of price levels where buying pressure has overwhelmed selling pressure, or vice versa, sometime in the past. The next time price approaches one of those S/R levels, it will likely (but, not always) react in some way.

Price may simply pause, and then continue on its way. It may be stopped dead, and then hammer away at that level, trying to break through. It may be abruptly turned back in the other direction. Or, it may blow past that S/R level as if it weren’t even there.

S/R levels not only present obstacles to price, they often tend to attract price. That is, price tends to approach and test nearby S/R levels. In addition, market-makers are often able to drive price through weaker S/R levels, temporarily penetrating those levels by 5-10 pips in order to pick off stops which are crowded too close to those weak levels. Only the strongest S/R levels can repel a stop-hunting attack.

Determining what is likely to happen at particular S/R levels is more of an art, than a science. But, those traders who can master the art acquire a powerful tool.

S/R levels can occur anywhere on a chart. They can be spaced close to one another, or far apart. But always, they represent potential price targets [B]and[/B] potential obstacles to price (contradictory as that sounds). And you need to take account of them.

When you determine an entry price for a potential trade, your next step should be to determine what S/R levels exist above and below your chosen entry. A particular S/R level may be helpful to you, or it may be a problem.

When you are looking for a likely price at which to place your stop-loss, you need to pay close attention to the S/R levels on that side of your entry price. And, when you are looking for a likely profit target for your trade, you need to carefully consider the S/R levels on the other side of your entry price.

Part of the “art” of using S/R levels profitably is to be able to judge the strength of a particular level. If you can determine levels which are likely to offer strong support or strong resistance, your chart may be showing you exactly where to place your SL and your TP.

On the other hand, if the S/R levels on your chart indicate (1) that price is likely to retrace too far in the negative direction, or (2) that price has too little running room in the positive direction — then, you might conclude that S/R levels are telling you to abandon this trade, and look for a better one.

Very clear explanation Clint! Thank you…what more can I say…so continue to my study at babypips.com…Just realized, this forum is very helpful to newbie like me :slight_smile: