Newbies Guide To Becoming A Forex Trader

This - exactly.

It’s the same as looking at the results of a clinical trial performed by a pharmaceutical company: you might be looking at the “sole outlier” and not seeing the twenty other trials they commissioned but decided not to publish because the results showed no significant benefit resulting from their product.

Be aware that when you look at “information” on sites like that, what you’re actually seeing includes a significant proportion of information which was effectively [U]selected[/U] for you to see by people selling something, and the overall appearance can be extremely misleading. (“Selection-bias”.)

And ask yourself this: if you were really able to trade convincingly and profitably and safely and steadily with “those results”, is that [I]really[/I] the way you’d be trying to raise a few dollars from subscription-fees? Or might you have “bigger fish to fry”?

If you had a system or algo that would consistently profit, would you give it away for hundreds, or sell it to the BIG MONEY for millions? (and they would gladly pay if it really works).

The ones that work are the algos being run by HFT’s that we see moving the markets - my job is to fit into that puzzle, observe it, understand it, and find a way to go along for the ride as I can. I sure as hell can’t compete with it!

That is where finding your own understanding, groove, and method that fits your situation to trading the markets is what the ‘system’ is that you need - and you can’t buy it from someone else.

My humble opinion, but nobody is going to sell you something that truly works.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I saw this on bbc and thought it quite shocking how the airport exchanges are profiteering from travellers at a time when Sterling weakness is already hurting them
Less than one euro to the pound at many UK airports - BBC News

100% agree. Anyone can develop a system that will give decent results short-term, make s few quid, then sell it to multiple newbies as a holy grail. If it worked long-term they’d be too busy cashing in

Easy links for this thread

[B][U]GETTING STARTED[/U][/B]

WHERE DO I BEGIN?

WHAT’S THE RUSH?

HOW MUCH MONEY DO I NEED?

DEMO OR LIVE ACCOUNT?

HOW TO CHOOSE A BROKER

MINIMUM AGE TO TRADE FOREX

[B][U]HOW TO SURVIVE[/U][/B]

WHY DO SO MANY TRADERS FAIL?

MONEY MANAGEMENT

TRADING WITHOUT A PLAN

LEVERAGE

EMOTIONS AND GREED

CREATE A JOURNAL

[B][U]TRADING BASICS[/U][/B]

CURRENCY PAIRS

TYPES OF ORDERS

SETTING TARGETS

USING STOP LOSSES

USING INDICATORS

KISS

CUT LOSSES, LET PROFITS RUN

TRADING THE NEWS

[B][U]TIPS FOR PIPS[/U][/B]

TIP #1

TIP #2

TIP #3

TIP #4

TIP #5

:slight_smile:

Useful tool here to help compare volatility on various pairs

Forex Volatility Calculator - Investing.com

Hi Eddieb
Another Newbie here. This is really informative and I am being mentored big time.
My question is, what if I am so sure that the release will of in a particular manner and drive price in a particular direction. Hence I enter as soon as the release meets or even beats the expectation to catch the the trend (as many pips as possible to avoid getting in the market is exhausted)

Julius Wfx

Hi Julius.
If events pan out as you and I would expect, odds on most other people also expected this so it will likely have been included in the current price. The biggest moves are on unexpected news or news that far exceeds market expectations.
There’s a great thread here on COT analysis that you might enjoy.

Hi.
One thing noticeable in forums generally, not just here, is the tendency for established members advice to newbies to sometimes come across a bit heavy handed - I’m guilty of it myself sometimes - and I wanted to start this post by saying that in most cases this isn’t the intention.
One of the many problems with the Internet is that no one knows what prompted someone else to use the words/phrases they did, and different people reading the same post will interpret it differently. This can, and does, lead to misunderstandings and occasionally arguments breaking out. I would like to apologise for any I may have caused, inadvertently or otherwise.
So, if one if you guys posts an innocent comment and are surprised by what seems to be an aggressive or insulting response, just take a step back and see if it could be read another way, it might turn out to be a great piece of advice.

Namaste

I’m bringing this link to the fore again as we seem, almost daily, to get a bunch of new traders asking this

How To Choose A Forex Broker

Hi everyone.
NFP due out later today, you may want to think about closing your trades or placing your stops in profit, if possible, especially on USD pairs.
Best of luck one and all

You should be careful and should concentrate on getting knowledge and will have to get the demo trading experience, don’t give the attention or offer of any shortcut / foolproof system offering by any person, just rely on your skills in order to become the good forex trader.

Agree 100%, anything worth doing is worth doing properly in my book

This, and especially the sentence in bold, is so true. Print this out, laminate it, and stick it on the wall where you trade

I took my time reading through this and I think it would be very helpful to a newbie and they have to be conscious of this great knowledge that has been shared here. The sooner a newbie applies this the sooner he will make money.

Thanks Alex. I’m not here as often as I would like to be but its good to see new traders still getting something from this thread

Thought I would take the opportunity to say I will be spending even less time here in the future.
Best wishes with your trading.

Namaste

I wish you all the best Eddie in whatever you are doing.

You were one of the first “sensible” people that I hooked on to when I joined here. Now it seems all those with the knowledge and the knowhow are moving on (and in some cases even being moved on) - that’s sad.

You have done a lot for Newbies coming here and BP will feel even more of a vacuum with your absence. Without you, Turbo, PMH and now Lexy, there is really very little professionalism left - at least amongst those prepared to actually offer something concrete rather than just criticise and police the scams and the profiteers. :frowning:

But thanks for all your contributions here and hopefully, one day, you may be drawn back here :slight_smile:

The eternal optimist,
Manxx (Gandalf)

Have no fear, usually as one expert exits stage left another enters stage right to fill the void. It doesn’t take long for forums to change the names on the doors.

A lot of them slip back after a while anyway once they realise how much they miss all the attention.

Sure, there is a never-ending supply of new “experts” here.

And maybe one day they will also reach the professionalsim of:

Turbo - 1060 posts
Lexys - 2540 posts
Eddieb - 2712 posts
PMH - 5245 posts

Yeah, yeah, I hear you, quantity isn’t everything…but just read them, and you might understand…

…and who is actually doing anything to encourage these guys to maybe one day reappear?

…just saying.