Newbies Guide To Becoming A Forex Trader

I’m bringing this link to the fore again as we seem, almost daily, to get a bunch of new traders asking this

How To Choose A Forex Broker

Hi everyone.
NFP due out later today, you may want to think about closing your trades or placing your stops in profit, if possible, especially on USD pairs.
Best of luck one and all

You should be careful and should concentrate on getting knowledge and will have to get the demo trading experience, don’t give the attention or offer of any shortcut / foolproof system offering by any person, just rely on your skills in order to become the good forex trader.

Agree 100%, anything worth doing is worth doing properly in my book

This, and especially the sentence in bold, is so true. Print this out, laminate it, and stick it on the wall where you trade

I took my time reading through this and I think it would be very helpful to a newbie and they have to be conscious of this great knowledge that has been shared here. The sooner a newbie applies this the sooner he will make money.

Thanks Alex. I’m not here as often as I would like to be but its good to see new traders still getting something from this thread

Thought I would take the opportunity to say I will be spending even less time here in the future.
Best wishes with your trading.

Namaste

I wish you all the best Eddie in whatever you are doing.

You were one of the first “sensible” people that I hooked on to when I joined here. Now it seems all those with the knowledge and the knowhow are moving on (and in some cases even being moved on) - that’s sad.

You have done a lot for Newbies coming here and BP will feel even more of a vacuum with your absence. Without you, Turbo, PMH and now Lexy, there is really very little professionalism left - at least amongst those prepared to actually offer something concrete rather than just criticise and police the scams and the profiteers. :frowning:

But thanks for all your contributions here and hopefully, one day, you may be drawn back here :slight_smile:

The eternal optimist,
Manxx (Gandalf)

Have no fear, usually as one expert exits stage left another enters stage right to fill the void. It doesn’t take long for forums to change the names on the doors.

A lot of them slip back after a while anyway once they realise how much they miss all the attention.

Sure, there is a never-ending supply of new “experts” here.

And maybe one day they will also reach the professionalsim of:

Turbo - 1060 posts
Lexys - 2540 posts
Eddieb - 2712 posts
PMH - 5245 posts

Yeah, yeah, I hear you, quantity isn’t everything…but just read them, and you might understand…

…and who is actually doing anything to encourage these guys to maybe one day reappear?

…just saying.

In my experience quantity is rarely a measure of quality. In fact it’s quite often the opposite, so I wouldn’t disagree with that comment.

I suppose the interpretation of professional means different things to different people.

Correct me if I’m mistaken but one of your close circle mentioned above consistently irritated the moderating team so much with her constant sniping & badgering they respectfully suggested she might prefer to seek out another forum more suited to her high standards, advice which appears to have been taken.

Another one on your list spectacularly blew up an account trading gbpnzd by making the classic newbie mistake of marrying a losing position & stubbornly refused to divorce it.

I hardly think an inexperienced member fresh into the fray is going to advance their cause any by delving too deeply into the exceedingly long post history of another newbie making those kinds of gaffs.

Newbies should be extremely cautious & very careful who they decide to invest time in when toggling through these places & high or inflated post counts is definitely no indication of quality contribution.

Well we can all see where you are coming from!

Actually, someone who loses but is entirely open about it and explains what where and why things went wrong is of far greater value than someone who just comes here denigrating them without any professionalism of their own to justify it. But that is exactly how these types of forums go.

And those who dedicate hours of their own time voluntarily helping other Newbies with their näive questions, and also pointing out to the moderators when scams and profiteers are encroaching should be applauded and not sneered at from behind the safety of internet anonymity.

It is not really of any relevance what you say here (at least not to me). Those who know these people respect them, those that don’t, like you, will never really care one way or the other. I care, they are gone, so am I. I just wanted to pay my “last respects” to my friends, that’s all.

I have no idea who you are, VisualXray, but having just ten posts in your name and already gunning down

people who have been here a long time is a bit rich…

Lexy is a professional trader because she makes her living from trading: do you?

I blew up my account but, as Manxx correctly said, was open about the whole process.

What am I doing now? Learning from that mistake and picking myself up again.

What matters is that when I give ‘advice’ to newbies, I am also cautious to say that

I am indeed not a profitable/successful trader (yet), so that they can take or leave my

advice.

My FreeFX youtube channel is there for all to see, if anyone cares to, and I have posted

each of those videos in Forextown over the weeks and months… Do I get a thank you?

No, I get people like you who have no idea how much time I have freely given to Babypips,

which I do not regret at all; this is why SimonTemplar, Emeraldorc, GP0053, and many other

excellent members have left these pages - Emeraldorc is earning money through trading, as

is SimonTemplar, to name but two - including what is now confirmed to be that other extremely

valuable member, Lexy.

This is what * Lexy off, and what also * off anyone who comes here to help and share

their mistakes (as well as their successes): the sheer arrogance of newbies who just come on

to bear a grudge against anyone who is seemingly an authority figure with an eye to shoot them

down, like that is a worthwhile pursuit… Regardless of my P/L, if I spent months and months, like

Lexy and Turbo and many others building up a community of trustworthy people on BP, then the

very least that I ask a newbie like you, VisualXray is not to judge me on my P/L but to judge on

the amount of forum-friendly work that I have done, like curating the only women-traders thread

on this forum, or sharing ALL OF MY TRADES and systems from the very beginning, and making it

as evidenced as possible that I am a real human being with many flaws but also who has nothing

to sell here, no malicious intent, no want of newbies to ensnare for some dark purpose of dubious

profitability…

If all that is not enough for you to feel that what members like me, Eddie, Lexy, Manxx, Emeraldorc,

and many others - here or no longer here - have to say is worthy of your respect, well, let us say that

I and we all have zero time for you.

Happy Trading.

As this thread is focused on helping newbies gain a foothold in the game & invest their time wisely, here’s a couple of threads that will ensure they receive a solid introduction to formulating a sound & robust grounding.

You & one or two of your buddies might wish to pop along yourself & become acquainted. Had you done so when you began placing live positions in the market you would definitely have avoided all the heartache & pitfalls experienced along the way. You never know, you might have put a few bob in your account too :slight_smile:

http://forums.babypips.com/free-forex-trading-systems/6580-3-ducks-trading-system.html

http://forums.babypips.com/the-melting-pot/72819-16-candles-58-edsel.html

I am glad that we are back to the thread topic.

Thanks.

Ps: Eddieb himself spent time on the three ducks system on various threads, explaining it and using it himself, so you may want to find those threads to see how the discussion developed.

As you know, there is no holy grail, and I much prefer learning the hard way, personally.

If yoi listen to the ChatWithTraders podcasts, just to mention one example, you hear many successful traders going through the ‘learning the hard way’ stage: they are not such rare or unintelligent individuals… When in a new field with no mentors, how do you expect to get it right straight away? You cannot. I knew there would be difficulties ahead when I started, and I accepted that the journey would be longer because I had to do this only in my spare time. It makes perfect sense to me.

its always the same with these people coming crawling out to look for problems.

when their thread becomes unpopular they come flame around and try to put trash in other threads. put links of their beloved thread that neither helps nor teaches anyone anything. trying to get people to read it.

my suggestion is to simply ignore them. when they get no audience they dissapear very quickly again.

this thread is meant to help new people and not to be a “gym”-substitude for their egos where they train their “arguing”-skills on decent people.

To Manxx and PMH, you both r right. The quality in this forum is dropping in significant speed. But thats just the natural development. People start, people help, people get bored, people get annoyed, people quit, people dissapear.

There is a reason why experienced traders do not seek to discuss their job with others. they are too bussy with their job. just like you will never see a experienced surgeon talking about his work in medical forums. when you do something daily and are used to what you are doing, then in your free time you seek to do other things than what you do at your job. 99,9% of participants in tgis forum are people who see trading as hobby or sidekick, very rarely a professional trader comes by and even more rare starts to post or give hints to struggeling traders.

Spot on, Turbo… Yes, SpeedBump, whatever happened to him/her…

It’s difficult to trust someone who comes in spouting stuff about how great or smart they are and disappears… It is easier to trust someone who is here long enough to engage with other people, or at least attempts to listen…

I think now that I am starting to find my own feet to disciplined trading I am cutting out a lot of pointless ‘chat’ from my life, including making videos on my trading, writing hundreds of posts on here, listening to hundreds of trading podcasts, etc.

When and if I decided to come here it would not be to fight with or prove myself to some stranger… It makes no sense… It is like a random person in the street coming up to you saying: 'Are you successful? ‘Cause you look like a loser to me’. How do you convince someone who has already made their mind up about you before even listening?

When Bob said ‘dude, you are system hopping, stop’, I mildly protested but I listened, because he is a respected, decent, long-standing forum member and someone who has a real working and family life, all of which makes me listen more to him, or Emerald, or SimonTemplar, or Lexy, or Turbo, or FundamentallyFlawed, because all of them make no secret about who they are, their struggles, their lives outside trading… Also that is true with Manxx, we had some disagreements but I know he was right about some things and I am glad that he is still around to talk to…

What value can I offer? I am not sure, but I will certainly continue to share my stories of trading as my journey continues… If anyone thinks I am a ghost, a fake, a fraud, a trickster, a front for some shady bucket-shop broker, well that is your opinion: I am not a ‘newbie’ but I am not a ‘pro’ either, yet I have shared everything, warts and all, on these forums, like my struggles with my family when talking about trading; my financial woes; starting a new business and becoming a father; and so on.

My value in being here is to show that to be human is to make mistakes, and to be honest about them: if you want a ‘successful’ trader to come here and tell you how to do it, well, look away, I am not your person.

:slight_smile:

You forget that a lot of people on here are successful at fields other than trading, so just because someone is successful at trading it does not make them a more successful person… Turbo and I run businesses that have nothing to do with trading, so I have no doubt that your ‘matey’ speedbump is successful, but so are a lot of us who do not earn their primary income from trading… In other words, if speedbump’s industry went legs up he would be without a job whereas I and Turbo would continue to make a living…so who would be a loser then? See what I am saying? This debate is pointless. He is just arrogant on these forums, it is not how it works!! You could be Soros or Yellen but if you came here and started belittling people then your credentials would become pretty worthless very quickly. Yoi have to respect people, especially as you cannot assume that you know anything about them…