NickB's 4H Scalping Method

Hi all,
I am keen to try out this method, i understand the main points of the method ie trade the break of a previous swing high or low with a 50 pip tp & sl, however my main concern is that most of my trades will be taken with pending orders as i have a busy day job.

i am interested to know what the success rate is for those of you who use pending orders, I understand that there has been a bit of a losing run recently but over the longterm how does it fare, on reading nicks ebook i get the impression there is a lot more analysis that goes into his trades rather than set & forget

also on setting the pending order do you set it to trigger when price makes a clear break of the scalp line by a few pips & then the tp & stop will also have to factor in the spread therefore with an 8 pip spread on gy my 50 pip trade could easily become a 40 or 38 pip trade on the profit side but on the losing side the 50 pip sl could lose 60 pips.

Im interested to know how you guys deal this

Hello nutrader,

I worked exclusively with pending orders in the 6 months that I worked on demo with this method, and have only started incorporating reversals into my trading having gone live in the last 5 weeks. My success rate on demo was consistent with that quoted by other folks; around 65-70% (and thatā€™s with a few stupid mistakes along the way). I have been fortunate to have some time to glance at charts during my work day lately, but wonā€™t necessarily be able to do so indefinitely (Iā€™m a contractor and may be doing very different work for different customers). I feel confident that I could succeed at targeting an average of 50 to 75 pips per week with pending orders alone, and reversals along the way are just a good bonus.

My personal entry method has been using a cushion of 6 pips on GBP/JPY plus half of the spread (I use Oanda, and they quote the average between bid and ask), which typically puts my entry 9 pips above or below my charted scalp line. I personally target 50 pips from my entry, not the scalp line and this has worked out pretty well.

Cody

Hi,

what pairs have you tried, and whats the buffer pips for each of them and the target profit/sl, thanks~

thanks for the reply, when you set your stop loss would that also be 50 pips from entry or from the scalp line

Hi,

what pairs have you tried, and whats the buffer pips for each of them and the target profit/sl, thanks~

Iā€™ve used 50 on GBP/JPY since I started with the Nick B method, and I also started trading the USD/CAD with a TP/SL of 35. Based on ADR, Iā€™ve been looking at 50 for TP/SL for the GBP/USD too. Nick has a great estimation for appropriate targets based upon the ADR of a pair; take a look into his ebook on calculating targets and stops.

thanks for the reply, when you set your stop loss would that also be 50 pips from entry or from the scalp line

I also calculate my SL from my entry price vs. the scalp line.

Cody

True; I think when I first looked at the GBP/USD pair I calculated a 40 pip SL/TP. I havenā€™t taken any trades on it in the last 2 weeks, though.

Scalp lines are killing me right now. Iā€™ve watched my go live account balance spiral away. Iā€™m thinking of looking more historically at all reversal areas for significance and focusing on defining S&R zones than scalp lines or S&R lines. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll miss some trades, but itā€™s a more conservative approach and I can still focus on ideal reversal pattern trades from those S&R zones.

Cody

If I am not wrong, NickB started to use S&R in his trading now. Check out his blog.:slight_smile:

Thatā€™s exactly my thinking. I thought scalp lines would suit my style of trading at first but I like having confirmation lines and that means candle patterns, S&R, and trendlines for me. Iā€™m not saying scalp lines donā€™t work and a 70:30 win ratio should be more than enough for my style.

Right. Thatā€™s where Iā€™m at too, and adding trend lines the way Phil is doing is showing me the same historical scalp and S&R trades Iā€™ve taken since the start of demo in a different light. Otherwise mysterious changes in price direction start to come into focus when you see that they bounced off of a trend line.

The next question in my mind is how to proceed from here. Iā€™ll continue to do breakout trading, but I might look exclusively at S&R on a chart from a zone standpoint and also look at the perfect storm kind of setup where a LWP bounces off of S&R and a trend line. Those have a very statistically significant success rate, but unfortunately I have to catch them in the act. Iā€™ve enjoyed the fact that with scalp line trading Iā€™ve been able to trade almost exclusively with limit orders.

Cody

I know about Nickā€™s calculation, but I want ā€œfeedbackā€ on traders using it, because they will sometimes adjust it to suit the situation?

btw, do u have a buffer?

The only two pairs other than GBP/JPY that Iā€™ve used the the ADR-based target calculations are the USD/CAD and GBP/JPY. In both cases Iā€™ve found that the ADR/4 or ADR/5 (if ADR for the last few days has been below the longer term ADR), have both worked out well.

I do use a buffer too, and that part is kind of arbitrary since that has to be based upon past experience. I got the 9 pip buffer I use on USD/CAD from Metalhawk, a trader on Nickā€™s blog and itā€™s definitely necessary there because of all of the times price will just peek above a scalp line and then reverse. I use a 6 pip buffer on GBP/JPY and Iā€™m doing the same on GBP/USD. This buffer is in addition to accounting for the spread. Iā€™m on Oanda which charts the average of bid and ask values, so I add half of the spread into my buffer for both long and short orders. With that said, Iā€™m looking at going forward with a S&R zone approach to breakout trades so that will factor into a buffer between a scalp line and where Iā€™ll set any pending orders.

Cody

excellent info! :slight_smile:

howā€™s everyone faring this week so far?

Loss on long @ 152.40. My own fault for setting my entry at 152.48 instead of at a more sensible 152.53 or so, to take into account possible effect of the round number. Although I notice in retrospect that neither Nick nor Metalhawk took that into account either, which is odd (or at least they didnā€™t mention they did).

Orpips, I lost out on this one too and was thinking my entry was too close to the scalp too. Itā€™s broken further above the scalp, so just about anyone would be in the trade now if they werenā€™t in the earlier peek above the line. I guess weā€™ll see how it goes for them.

Cody

I took that loss as well. No biggie. There was a 34EMA break slightly below which I figured would give it the push it needed, but markets were pokey today.

Seems normal after a fairly large day yesterday.

Iā€™m eyeing 155ish as well. Thoughts anyone?

The 155.30 level doesnā€™t look too bad; it didnā€™t retrace from that area too strongly but thereā€™s another bounce from the area back on the 6th. What do people think of entry at 155.50 as a safety measure? Itā€™s possible an entry around the 155.30 level could stall out around the psych level.

Cody

Based on the 4 hr chart, 1) can 146.78 be a long scalp line ? 2) Can 152.44 be considered as a S+R line ? Any thoughts ?

Hello everyone,

Sorry if you have discussed this already, but I do not have time to read now full 60+ pages :o
I have read Nickā€™s books for the first time a few days ago and I have problems with spotting the S+R horizontal lines. I am getting them a bit crowdedā€¦
If anyone minds, maybe he can post here the 5-10 current lines of the GBP\JPY pair please?
Or at least try to explain how he spots them? What needs to be the space of pips by those historical lines? Just to be clear, I am referring to the historical S+R lines, not to the scalp lines. It is much easier to identify scalp lines.

Thanks for any helpers,

Ben

That is a good scalp line. I currently have 160.36, 155.34, 146.73 as scalp lines on my chart.

Iā€™d say 152.44 is a good S+R line to trade a reversal, but Iā€™d be careful trading NickB S+R breaks off it. It doesnā€™t have any good history past a few weeks (very few lines do nowdays on GBP/JPY) and itā€™s been broken twice in the past two weeks.