NickB's 4H Scalping Method

I have no idea! :slight_smile:

All that fundamental analysis stuff isnā€™t my thing. I completely ignore it except for the most major news announcements (like the US announcing a new stimulus package, or the monthly NFP report).

Iā€™m not saying you shouldnā€™t watch it though. If youā€™re into all that then it would definitely help you out! I just prefer to ignore it and keep things simple. :slight_smile:

Ummā€¦I am just trying to prevent making winners into losers cause of news like yesterdayā€¦isnā€™t my thing either, but I can give it two minutes to check the calender each day :slight_smile:

Ben

Hey, I am new here to this forum but have been Forex trading (in practice accounts) for a month or so. I like this strategy a lot and its been working since I started using it. I look forward to following all of this. Right now I went long after it broke the 156.43 line I hadā€¦ so far so good.

I like this strategy too, another set and forget type thing.

Can I ask, has anyone tried this on other pairs? My broker has a 7 pip spread on GbpJpy and with a relatively tight stop loss Iā€™d prefer to be trading something with a little less spread.

Also, are you counting the swing low at 152.30 as the lower bracket now or sticking with the major swing low at 146.70?

RD

RD, I do not think that anyone had back tested it enough time, but like Phil said. the all the JPY pairs are very similar with their movementsā€¦about 95% the same (check your charts).
So I will suggest you trying it on USD\JPY or EUR\JPY if the spread is smaller on those pairs.

Ben

Iā€™ll test it out, thanks Ben

The 156.43 line broke and was a winner. I watched it as it happened and ended up getting 55 pips.

How did everyone else do?

Welcome tnederlof,

Looks like the 156.43 trade was a winner! Iā€™m glad you got some pips on it. :slight_smile:

It should work on any pair, I just think it works best on GBP/JPY. If you trade other pairs youā€™ll probably have to adjust the SL and TP numbers, but it should work.

Iā€™ve got both 152.30 and 146.70 on my chart as valid scalp lines. If price drops down low enough Iā€™ll trade them both!

Phil, if the price wonā€™t keep going up at least 200 pips above 156.43, that wonā€™t be a good scalp line anymore and we need to remove it, right?
And the R+S line that was broken will stay there as it is an historic lineā€¦hope Iā€™m right.

Ben

Ok, so using that logic I just put 160.35 as my next buy order. Is that about right?

Taking a quick visual scan of the other pairs you are right, it does appear that Gbpjpy trades in such a way that this is the best pair to use.

Thanks for your help. RD

I think youā€™re getting S+R lines and scalp lines confused. :slight_smile:

You need to remove the 156.43 scalp line now. Scalp lines are only used one time and then theyā€™re gone.

Historic S+R lines are different though. Historic S+R lines stay on your chart even after they are broken, but if youā€™re going by NickB trading rules then you donā€™t trade a recently broken S+R line. Thatā€™s the ā€œ200 pipā€ rule-of-thumb you were referring too.

Also, remember not to let my sometimes conflicting advise confuse you. When I post about S+R [I]lines [/I]in this thread everything I say is by NickBā€™s rules, but on my other thread when I talk about S+R [I]zones [/I]those are my rules. I could care less if a S+R zone was recently broken for my method, but itā€™s important to watch for Nickā€™s method because of the differnt ways the SLā€™s and TPā€™s are done.

Right! 160.35 is the next line on the upside.

Iā€™m sure another line will form before the end of next week though, so I doubt that 160.35 will really be the next long trade. But it is the next one on the chart right now. :slight_smile:

Thanks Phil, that make sense :slight_smile:

I think I also need to pay a bit more a attention for on which thread I am posting. All the threads look like a big one discussion for me cause I check it every time I get an email alarm so I do not go to each thread manually lol :o

Ben

Yes, I thought that would be the case, unless it just carries on up without retracing at all!

I suppose a good rule of thumb is to use the last swing high or low but to include the larger swing high and low points that didnā€™t get broken as well.

Does anyone whoā€™s been trading this method consistently have any stats on consecutive losers or drawdown? All looks great so far, just preparing for ā€˜thoseā€™ times. I noticed some followers had spoken of an unusual losing streak lately & was wondering what exactly defines ā€˜unusual.ā€™

The most detailed records of this system can be found on Metalhawks blog at forex4noobs.com/blogmh. Just hit the ā€œ2008 statsā€ and ā€œ2009 statsā€ links at the top of the page.

His records havenā€™t been updated since May and the losing streak was in June though. It was, for me at least, a 6 trade losing streak.

Iā€™d define unusual as 4 or more losing trades in a row for this system. :slight_smile:

Thanks Phil.

ā€¦checking it out right now.

4-6 sounds VERY doable. Easy on the egoā€¦
:wink:

Hey Phil838!

Many thanks for bringing to attention the Nick B method. Since venturing into forex a few months ago all I do is read, read read. In the end, certain pieces of info tend to repeat themselves, one of which echoes here too - make it simple, scrap indicators and learn to trade on price action. I think with the right indicators e.g. for trending, they can be useful and even though Iā€™m new Iā€™m no scalper and have absolutely no interest in it - 4H and Daily time-frames suit me just fine!:slight_smile: I would like to know about approaches and simple strategies as they also seem to stand the test of time. Recently I came across a strategy called ā€˜3 Ducksā€™ - Iā€™m sure most traders already know about it but itā€™s a perfect example - one SMA set at 60 (I believe), confirmed on 3 chartsā€¦etc
Anyway, great site and forum, have a good Friday everyone!:):):slight_smile:

Iā€™m finding that I use moving averages on the daily charts to see what other traders may be thinking. You know the 34ema & 200sma are HUGE trading points for institutional folks.

I obsessed over indicators for a full year, and I think itā€™s necessary. It shows a newbie a visual of what overbought/oversold & rally/range conditions look like.

Essentially theyā€™re off my charts now, but in my head I can roughly picture where a stoch, cci, rsi, macd, etcā€¦ would be while watching price action, and I think that helps. But also, by removing them it allows my judgement to guide me, rather than a colored squiggly line. Plus, their behavior in live markets can be extremely unnerving.

Sorry to get off topic, but it does temper the NickB style.

Hope that helps!