Oanda warns upcoming volatility

Yunny1,

You know it seems like babypips is becoming a place for baby-knuckle-heads. You took the time to post something that might be a benefit to some of the users that trade with Oanda, and in return all the knuckle-heads show up giving you crap. :56:

Hardly seems worth posting, replying and making an effort to help people anymore. Especially after that nut-job eblip. Back a few months ago I spent lots of time trying to help him only to find that he’s a real super jerk. I was glad to see he got the boot!

Oh well

PS although I did notice a brand-new member with the same…smell

Not yet.

Not by a LONG shot…

Make me laugh :slight_smile: They are protecting your ass, bro. Stop guessing the market direction but flow with it instead.

I use OandA and I thank them for the warning that things might get hairy depending on your positions and/or strategy. Thing is, the spreads are usually quite ridiculous over the weekends (until Sunday PM) anyway. Last weekend I noticed a 40 pip spread on EUR/USD (Saturday I think) and over 100 pip spread on others. I never trade over the weekends because of the horrible spreads. So, now that I know things might get bumpy, I will still carry my trades over, set my TPs and SLs (wide) and see what happens. I currently have a short position on EUR/USD and a long position on EUR/GBP. Should be fun to see what happens.

Note* I am long on USD on some other positions, so if it is true what some have said (people will dump their Euros and put them into the “safe haven” of the USD), then that could work for me as well :slight_smile:

Also, I found the following 3 scenarios on another thread (if no one has seen this). Might also explain why the Euro has been climbing.

Scenario 1 - SYRIZA wins: This scenario has high chances as the party is gaining momentum in the current gloomy environment. This will escalate the capital flight out of the country and could bring the country out of the euro-zone before Tsipras makes any decision as Prime Minister. It could also trigger action from world leaders convening in Mexico on June 18th. The immediate reaction will likely be a big drop in the euro and a stronger dollar (and yen).

Scenario 2 - New Democracy wins: This scenario is certainly on the cards. The reasoning is that many Greeks voted to smaller parties as a protest, and will now “come back home” to mainstream parties. In this scenario, the euro will leap in the morning after, but this doesn’t solve Greece’s problems. A third bailout and more restructuring will probably be necessary. A temporary relief will result in the focus shifting to other countries.

Scenario3 - Another Deadlock: This scenario has low chances, but if the parliament is fragmented once again with no party gaining even 20% (like in the first round), a third round of elections will be scheduled, but things will continue deteriorating. June 30th is the deadline for passing 77 measures. This is a prerequisite for more aid, and it’s hard to see that happening by a caretaker government.

I think this is just a bunch of hype that may cause a lot of people to make money easily. And for some reason all these brokers do not like it. I got an email from my brokers too.

So, how will Stops work then? Are you saying that price could ‘jump’ over a stop and it not get triggered or something?

On a Sunday? With a serious lack of liquidity?
Yes. Missed, or depending on order size not triggered.

As a market maker, Oanda doesn’t want to be the only source of liquidity is my guess. Nor do they want to have thousands of irate account holders yelling at them come Monday morning, when their stops couldn’t get filled.

Now for another thing. All you yahoos griping about Oanda not taking your trades on the weekend, be honest. When was the last time you did take a trade on the weekend? I don’t mean Sunday afternoon when NZ opens, I mean like 11:37 Saturday morning EST.

There’s been several weekend elections that have affected the euro over the last few months, with the biggest being France.
Did you trade then? I bet not.

Quit the exasperated drama. There will be plenty of fallout to get in on. It’s really silly to say you’re gonna bail on your broker because you can’t trade on one flippin’ day.

Take the kids to the zoo, and trade the safe fake gap on Monday morning :stuck_out_tongue:

Well what I’m wondering is, if I were to take a short position in advance, (on a broker other than Oanda) would the market actually be able to just skip right past my stop loss?!

I just think that if my stop is irrelevant then it’s not worth taking the trade at all, and I know that a lot of you may tell me I’m stupid for wanting to take a position and hold it in advance, but that’s my own risk choice. However, if I don’t have a stop, then no amount of reward is worth that risk.

Oandas been good so far to me (after the first stop hunt they did while I was in demo, before going live… I still grumble over that).

Thanks Oanda, I’ll be sure to go long on euro come sunday 3am est… we all think its plummeting. Smart money thinks otherwise

On a broker other than Oanda, yes, your stop would be ignored during the weekend, and close at whatever open price is when your broker opens. That could be a good thing, or that could be a bad thing. Where it ignores stops, it also ignores t/ps, as your broker is not open to fill those orders.

Depending on your broker’s terms you agree on, they can actually honor the t/p even if it goes past it but this usually means they will honor the s/l. Read the fine print people. Don’t expect some random bucket shop broker to honor them though.

Any guesses as to why the GBP shot through the roof the last hour? Are peeps pulling there Euro’s and dumping them into GBP instead?

I’m going to copy and paste an EXTREMELY informative article that my broker (FXCM) sent me and see what you guys think. According to them the most likely outcome is a bearish market.

CAUTION: Uncertain Landscape ahead due to Greek Elections Warrants Reduced Leverage

Greece is headed back to the polls this weekend following the inconclusive results of the May 6 parliamentary elections. Unlike the first elections, the June 17 elections have significant consequences tied to it that will likely result in exceptional market volatility. With the significant event risk expected to occur during hours FXCM’s trading platform is offline (17:00 EDT / 21:00 GMT on Friday to 17:00 EDT / 21:00 GMT on Sunday), Sunday’s open poses the threat of not only a significant gap, but spreads wider than usual as well. Accordingly, we believe that this is not the trading landscape to speculate, and we suggest reducing position sizes given the significant amount of uncertainty forthcoming.

To help traders make the best informed decision headed into the weekend’s critical event, please find below a concise summary of the likely outcomes of the Greek parliamentary elections, and for those interested, a fact sheet on each of the main parties competing in the Greek elections.

THE TAKEAWAY: June 17 Greek Parliamentary Elections > Outcome Could Determine Greece’s Fate in Euro-zone

There are two main parties vying for control of Greece’s government this weekend, the pro-bailout New Democracy party and the anti-bailout Syriza party. In a sense, and especially given the rhetoric deployed by non-Greek European leaders, these elections will determine the fate of Greece’s inclusion in the Euro-zone. It boils down to this: a vote for New Democracy is considered pro-Euro; and a vote for Syriza is considered anti-Euro.

We believe there are four likely outcomes to these elections, with the highest probability of a Euro-negative outcome this weekend. They are:

• SCENARIO #1: New Democracy wins elections and has parliamentary majority (> 151 votes) – EUR BULLISH – 10%
• SCENARIO #2: New Democracy wins elections but does not have majority – EUR BEARISH (least bearish outcome) – 45%
• SCENARIO #3: Syriza wins elections but does not have majority – EUR BEARISH (increasingly bearish outcome) – 40%
• SCENARIO #4: Syriza wins elections and has parliamentary majority – EUR BEARISH (most bearish outcome) – 5%

In light of these expected outcomes, we find it most likely that the elections will not yield the most bullish outcome (scenario #1), but instead, falling somewhere between the least bearish and moderately bearish outcomes (scenario #2, #3). We have derived these probabilities from recent poll figures as well as commentaries from citizens and reporters in Greece.

Recent Poll Numbers
• Public Issue, one of the leading opinion companies in Greece, carried out a phone opinion survey from May 25-30 across a general population sample of 1210 adults from across Greece. The results estimated 31.5% support for Syriza, 25.5% for New Democracy, 13.5% for Pasok, 7.5% for Dimar. Compared to poll results from the week prior, support for Syriza had risen 1.5% (from 30%), fallen 0.5% (from 26%) for ND and fallen 2% (from 15.5%) for Pasok. The margin of error was +/-2.8 percentage points.
• Kapa Research SA surveyed 1012 people for the Athens-based Ta Nea newpaper, in a poll conducted from May 29 to 31. The results estimated 26.1% support for New Democracy, 23.6% for Syriza and 9.9% for Pasok. Compared the last poll held on May 23-24, support for ND rose 0.3% (from 25.8%), rose 3.5% (from 20.1%) for Syriza, and fell 3.1% for Pasok (from 13%). The overall margin of error is +/-3.1 percentage points.
• A Rass poll conducted for Eleftheros Typos showed 26.5% support for New Democracy, 24.2% for Syriza and 9.9% for Pasok.

For those interested in learning more about each of the main parties competing in the Greek elections on June 17, please find below a summary of New Democracy’s then Syriza’s platforms.

New Democracy – Platform Points

• Scale back taxes and boost jobs as part of an overall renegotiation of the country’s debt deal with its international creditors

• Replace some taxes, such as a property tax introduced last fall, with “fairer” levies

• Revoke cuts to lowlevel pensions and to the salaries of police and air force employees, as well as boost the job market

• Support low income households and small businesses that have been hit hardest by the debt crisis

• Help indebted households to repay their dues to banks

• Accelerate structural reforms and the privatization program, with the “rebirth” of the public sector with no mass layoffs of civil servants

• In regards to the €11.7 billion in public spending cuts that Greece’s creditors have demanded by the end of 2013, ND (Samaras) said these should be made gradually over the next four years

• Declaration of exclusive economic zones in the sea to exploit natural resources.

• Enforce a harsh line against illegal immigration

Syriza – Platform Points

• Creation of a shield to protect society against the crisis

• Unconditional guaranteed minimum income or unemployment benefit, medical care, social protection, housing and access to all services of public utilities for all citizens

• Protection of and relief measures for indebted households

• Price controls and price reductions, VAT reduction, and abolition of VAT on basicneed goods

• Disposal of the debt burden, specifically through:

• Moratorium on debt servicing

• Negotiations for debt cancellation

• Regulation of remaining debt to include provisions for economic development and employment

• European regulations on the debt of European states

• Radical changes to the European Central Bank’s role

• Prohibition of speculative banking products

• A pan-European tax on wealth, financial transactions and profits

• Income redistribution, taxation on wealth and elimination of unnecessary expenses

• Productive social and environmental reconstruction

• Nationalization/socialization of banks

• Stable employment with decent wages and social insurance

• Deepening Democracy: democratic political and social rights for all

• Restoration of a strong welfare state

• Immediate rescue of the pension system

• A rise in unemployment benefits

• The introduction of a guaranteed minimum income. “Diverse fragmentary reforms and policies must be united in a national system of guaranteed funds from the national budget. An unconditional basic income, accomodation with heating, electricity and telecommunications, food and clothing, transport, help at home, legal coverage and representation can thus become rights of all citizens.”

• Free health care, which will be financed through a Public Health System

• Protection of public education, research, cultures, and sports from the Memorandum’s policies

• An independent foreign policy committed to the promotion of peace

• Peace-seeking foreign policy

• Disengagement from NATO and closure of foreign military bases on Greek soil

• Aiding the Cypriot people in the reunification of the island

— Written by Christopher Vecchio, Currency Analyst

Super find and thanks for Sharing Megapronk!

So, a 90% chance of a EUR tank… I like those odds. Anyone else thinking of opening a couple of micro lots and riding this wave?

It’s tempting… I’m just going to trade the open. I’m expecting heavy volume.

Just went short on EUR/USD with a few micro lots. Who knows? This thing might open up EXTREMELY DOWN. If so, I am gonna be pretty happy about this decision

I’m short the EUR/USD as well. I have been for a few days…so I am really hoping for a downturn. I put in a short micro lot of EUR/JPY. Long the USD on other pairs as well… so we’ll see.

Fingers crossed! It’ll be a wild ride either way.

Yeah it was mad.

Im now hoping GBP/USD to fall when the market open again, Ill probably get a margin call if it carries on shooting up.

I think my open trade is much too big of a risk this weekend, but I had no clue that the market would (or could) jump past stop losses without triggering them. If I’d known that I would have treated this completely differently.

whos your broker pronk?