Overcoming fear

For me, check list means: how strong the trend is! Where are the support/resistant levels! Checking major news events & data and also my previous trading mistakes! I use a notebook actually for checklist! Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. That makes perfect sense.

1 Like

Most especially news events. A common mistake when using technical indicators is failure to check the fundamental indicators before executing a trade. Technical indicators cannot affect fundamental indicators, but fundamental indicators does affect everything. No matter how strong your technical indicator signal is,such a checklist is very necessary before executing.

Glad you liked it! You are always welcome.

1 Like

I think we are stuck to any one system technical analysts not see fundamentals when they are new to forex trading . They understand importance of both when spend some time in trading . both systems should be considered then you can decide confidently.

1 Like

It does happen with many traders and the same is also because when we are trading with limited trading volumes then our trades will not give us any income. We need to set only limited targets so tha twe are able to meet them easily :slight_smile:

Generally speaking, a trader must learn how to balance between their fear and their greed. The former pushes them to open unsuitable trades, the latter pushes them to close suitable trades.

I think fear is first of all an uncertainty in one’s own knowledge and a lack of experience, when there’s more of the two, then fear will go away.

Naturally, you need time and practice for everything. But trading small amounts can give you a chance to preserve your deposit, even if you traded really badly.

True. But I think we should also keep in mind that approach works if one actually learns how to trade relatively well before they’ve lost their entire deposit due to small but constant losses.

Fear of losing money is a part of our trading, but balancing between fear and trading is the trick which every trader should learn with yourself.

The main source of fear is an untrustworthy strategy.

Once your strategy is optimized to the point that you trust it, fear and breaking the rules will be a result of boredom and childish gambling. Things that are much easier to overcome than a suboptimal strategy.

The question is how long it takes to find such a strategy, optimize it and learn to trust it. By the time some people achieve that they’ve lost hope it will work.

1 Like

Yea thats the psychological issue. You must be able to objectively gauge progress. Something to fuel your confidence which leads to persistence.

Progress gauging fuels confidence for persistence during development and an optimized strategy fuels confidence for persistence during execution.

I agree. How do you gauge progress for yourself, if you don’t mind me asking?

We all know the abilities required to trade. For example if you were able to accurately predict trend direction consistently during backtesting, then the process you have developed to do so has come a long way. The more consistent during backtesting the more progress you’ve made. If you are not seeing increase in consistency then you may be lacking creativity or work ethic. Gauging consistency is an objective task. If you are having difficulty gauging it then I cant help you there.

Self honesty is not something I can teach. Some people are so used to lying to themselves to make themselves feel better that they can no longer tell the difference between when they are actually seeing improvement vs when they are just telling themselves they are. Not being able to trust your own senses is a dangerous place to be. I would say just stop lying to yourself but that would mean accepting that you are actually doing so, something the ego will have a hard time doing.

This is the difference between someone with potential and someone with potential plus heart.

John
We don’t count on luck.

1 Like

I really couldn’t have put it better. Self-awareness is vital for any new skill one is trying to master and Forex trading is not any different. If anything in this case self-awareness is even more vital than usual.

Whether or not you are profitable, that is the only gauge to progress. Which is why I prefer A. Elder to M Douglas. Elder is an MD Psychiatry, and his concepts delve in who and what we are. I do find his trading concepts a bit, well, complex for me, but I trade a hodge podge of Fundy, Pattern Recognition, Levels, and Simple TA.

So yeah, Alpha is the gauge.

The Ever Hodge Podge VIPER

By the same token one must understand when they ARE making progress. Some people don’t believe their senses in this way too. I think its due to an underlying belief that its impossible. Whether thats a technique to make themselves feel better about not having made it yet. Or it may be an excuse to not have to make the necessary sacrifices for breakthroughs. I’m not sure.

I suffered from both of these forms of self dishonesty. It took a big loss to start being honest with myself on both fronts. After 6 months in the game I started being honest with myself and have not had doubts or false positive progression since. Humility and confidence is a tricky balance, one that must be mastered, humility to keep an open mind and confidence to trust your core strategy to date.

We don’t count on luck.

I wouldn’t say the optimal strategy is found. It needs to be developed from scratch. Its a simplification process, summarizing through abstract thinking. A one sentence hack is the goal.

We don’t count on luck.