Overwhelming Scepticism About Trading

Greetings folks.

Do you tell people about your trading activities? How about those of you who dream of starting your own micro fund some day, do you share that idea with people. And if you do, what kind of responses do you get?

I find that a lot of people who do not trade often look at it as gambling. And the idea of putting a considerable amount of money into the market in your own fund is the most foolish thing people one can do.

1 Like

Very seldom do I discuss trading with family or friends for the exact reasons you have stated.

KC

6 Likes

First time I knew trading from a friend, and I view him just online gambling too,
Years later ,married ,have a son,
I’m looking some activities that not wasted time maybe got money too, and trading is my choice (gaming not looks appears as used to be)

In 2 years from 0$ deposit (bonus from scam broker) to 400$,I think its my achievement,
Still do newbies fault too till today,(exit too early)

My wife sometimes check my phone to look I’m make profits or not,
But I don’t discuss about my trading activities with her

3 Likes

People who don’t trade generally regard it very negatively so there’s no point discussing it with them. Just show them your new car and tell them how it was paid for…

Actually, the general attitudes towards trading are in minor ways also negative effects on our own trading. Profiting from trading is seen as -
risky
greedy
undeserved
lazy
selfish
arrogant
"cheating"

Some traders experiencing emotional interference with their trading decisions might actually be suffering from some of these negative perceptions within their own psyches, undermining their own best efforts.

8 Likes

@ropunzel… Who in their right mind would allow their funds to be at risk in the Forex Market…

Black Swan Events… Algorithms designed to stop you out, generate margin calls and erode your account… Brokers, who can see your positions and actually trades against them… An OTC market place where there is no set price, no real set value of what you are trading anywhere in the world…

And last but not least… you are trying to out smart the biggest thieves on the planet today…

The International Cartel of Banks… You have to understand where our critics are coming from…

3 Likes

@Trendswithbenefits - If I may, then why do it ?

2 Likes

“Oct 28, 2017 - According to to the latest analysis and Infographics by brokers of the world it is said that there are more than 10 million forex traders online or 1 out of 750 people. Forex market daily floats with more than 5.5 Trillion+ US Dollar $ On weekdays.” (I believe it to be closer to ~50 Million worldwide…)

@Gee_Ell, that is a fantastic question… after the last few weeks results, I’m asking it too…

Just one of the mass psychotic 10 million holding on tight to the lunatic fringe…

3 Likes

If it’s not working for you then get out and try your hand at another market. Perhaps equities, commodities or bonds would suit you better.

Oh, now, now… Don’t try to make us squirt some when there’s no way for us to scale your prosaic grief into an actual balance sheet. I’m sure you just feel the need to elaborate.

1 Like

@Gee_Ell… Your idol has fallen… nothing here but prosaic rapture…

2 Likes

I’ve only told those close to me because of their avid skepticism. Why have another psychological pressure upon you when you need a clear mind?

2 Likes

They only start taking an interest when the money starts coming in :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

With my family and close friends I stopped talking about trading long time ago, for the very same reason stated on first post. Definitely two different worlds.

3 Likes

first of all, you have to acknowledge the fact that not every one you meet on the street has that awareness of the market and it modus operandi, thus, in my own opinion, you have to be selective about the kind of people you talk to about your financial activities. thanks.

2 Likes

Ahah, But were they right to be sceptical? i.e have you been making money or losing it.

Simply they don’t understand, no arguments.

The skepticism is understandable because the reality is that most people are gambling in the market, and most will fail. If you tell 10 traders not to trade because they are gambling, you will end being right on most of them. Trading requires hard work and time to learn, most people wont or cant put any of those, so its a lost battle from the day they start.
We all face the same problem, we could be working to improve our lives and make a good income, or we can end with nothing more than just wasted time and money on gambling in the markets. So the best option is to always try too keep quiet about trading, in case that we dont make it.

1 Like

People don’t need to know you trade. I typically only tell those who I know do not have a “traditional” view of how things “should” work. And if I end up telling someone who’d call it gambling, who cares! We don’t live to disprove their beliefs. They don’t understand it, plain and simple.

I’ve told one person who mentioned it as being close to gambling and I just laughed it off. Life is too short to argue about things I’ll continue to do anyway.

5 Likes

Thanks for the post. I guess it’s important because if you have been trading for a while and have found some good approaches, tested demo and live. Then you decide to make a significant bet on yourself based on this akin to selling your home.

Then as a sense check on your plans.

Why do you think this is a good idea when everyone else might think it’s foolish.

Why would you like to discuss your personal finances with everybody in any case?

2 Likes