Parabolic SAR - that's all!

You are right about the new york time thing, I suppose the only thing it won’t matter with is with stocks obviously because the market is only during the day. That’s one thing I worry about with me being on the west coast of the U.S. because my daily candle closes at 8pm local, but so far the results have been ok, I am interested to see your results though. So you say gci uses new york time, does that mean a new daily candle appears at midnight then?

edit: I just realized that 8pm local for me is 11pm or midnight in new york depending on whether or not daylight savings time is in effect here so maybe it isn’t bad after all.

Hi,

Yes: GCI is ‘bang on’ New York time i.e. 12:00am on the platform is 12:00am New York time. How far behind or ahead are you (I could look it up myself but I never know if there is daylight savings involved or not)!!! Oh, and on that subject of daylight savings, GCI takes this into account i.e. they also adjust for daylight savings so, like I say, they are ‘bang on’ New York time.

I would go so far as to say this: if there is an hour or two difference then I don’t THINK it’s a problem i.e. there would not be a lot of difference between a broker in Bulgaria (like Delta for example) and another one in the UK (like Alpari for example) i.e. I have checked and the difference in bars is negligable BUT when you’re talking a six hour (and more) difference between brokers then you start to see different ‘things’ not to mention the fact that I (as you know) are of the opinion that whatever is happening in New York at a given moment in time is being watched more closely and by ‘more money’ than anywhere else and I STILL think that most of the ‘big trading decisions’ will be based on what the institutional ‘players’ are seeing ‘in the New York minute’!!! I’m ‘dying’ to prove it (if not to anyone else but myself)!!! ‘People’ can ‘knock’ the US all they want but it is, and no matter how much people may wish it was not, the ‘Financial Capital Of The World’!!! (Now I’m really hoping that someone from Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan Chase, Lehman Brothers, or Merryl Lynch, reads my thread and offers me a job on Wall Street i.e. I’d move to the US NO QUESTION to be able to work on Wall Street failing which I have promised myself that before I am ‘six feet under’ or ‘ashes’ I want to go and see the statue of the ‘bull’ outside the NYSE and, who knows, get to see first hand, ‘the opening bell’, and also travel to see the NYMEX, CBOT, etc. etc. etc. Did I mention before that I love everything about this business)!!! Put it this way: I could be worth a ‘gazillion’ dollars to them i.e. all they have to do is ask me what to trade and in what direction and then go and place a market order for a billion dollars in the opposite direction!!! ‘Slam dunk’!!! If that ‘rogue’ trader at SOCGEN had just called me and done the same thing he’d be fine today!!! (Obviously commission would become due and payable)!!!

Edit:

Ooops!!! ‘Overtyping’ each other again i.e. I only saw YOUR edit after I posted the above message. Anyway, suffice to say, you ‘read my mind’ i.e. one hour should not make any difference at all I don’t think.

Yeah, it’s kind of funny that it took me this long to realize that my broker, oanda, is only an hour off of new york time, and during daylight savings time it will be exactly right. Well, that’s one less thing to worry about :slight_smile: I had another question about your trading thus far: have you/do you trade one instrument with two different systems at the same time? The reason I am asking is because it seems like the TBP and volality systems possibly could be used with each other at the same time, because the TBP is more of a “day to day” smaller target system where with the volatility system you get far fewer trades and they are held much longer, or so it seems. Even though you will get opposite direction trades a lot it seems to me that the nature of the TBP system will let you get the smaller “bites” on the daily movement of the pair while the volatility system follows the longer term trend. What do you think? It might be worth looking at. Anyway, I need to get to bed, I had a long day at school…

P.S. I too have to experience the NYSE sometime as well. Seeing the bull in person, and the chaos that goes on during trading time, wow. Hopefully if things go that way I’m planning I’ll be working near there sometime :smiley: And don’t get me started on that trader… hahaha. I wonder what the real story was, because “a junior trader lost us millions of dollars” smells a little bad to me…

Who knows??? I’ve heard ‘conspiracy theories’ that maybe the bank was overexposed to subprime losses and Mr ‘Rogue Trader’ served as a ‘cover up’. The thing that I don’t get about that WHOLE ‘debacle’ is that from working and monitoring stocks you can ‘bet your sweet ar*e’ they at SOME point, no matter how long it takes, they WILL return to a place they’ve been before (OK - within reason of course) so why close the positions and realise the loss that he made i.e. either hold on to them OR get some ‘fancy pants’ trader to ‘pump up’ the trades and negate the losses over time. Hell: I’m sure that with a couple of billion EUR even I’d ‘get it right’!!! Admittedly I’m not quite sure just HOW things ‘went down’ but I do remember hearing the phrase ‘stock index futures’ on CNN or Bloomberg but, maybe, I’m just ‘oversimplifying’ the thing.

I’ll be honest with you (about the Volatility System):

I don’t, as yet, have the ‘bal*s’ (or the capital for that matter) to trade it. The fact that the SAR can move up and down depnding on volatility scares me i.e. if you have a very sudden ‘spike’ in volatility good and well but what if there is only a very slight increase in volatility over a period i.e. just not enough for the system to ‘notice’??? Remember that in order for the system to work you’re trading with no stops and you’re relying on the fact that at some point in the future the price is going to close contrary to the SAR. It’s the ‘some point in the future without a stop loss’ idea that worries me. If you’ve got LOADS of capital then it’s a ‘no brainer’ i.e. I reckon that system will nett you some serious ‘buckaroos’ over an extended period of time but you have to be able to hold on for that extended period of time without being margin called. I suppose the obvious answer would be to try it out on a shorter timeframe and see what happens. Me: I’m just ‘swinging’ now!!!

Oh, and by the way, if you DO get a job on Wall Street ‘don’t forget to remember me’!!!

Dale, when you used the TBP system did you have positions open on all of those pairs you mentioned above at the same time? I have open trades on 9 different pairs, and two of the ones you listed above had the “conflicting” signal where the MF and TBP don’t agree so I stayed out on those two. I wish there was a faster way to place all the trades because by the time I’ve clicked “buy” or “sell” on all the orders the price will change, and it always seems to go in the wrong direction… even though it is only a pip or two usually it could add up.

Hello,

I just took trades as and when indicated i.e. if there was a ‘conflict’ I did not bother about it (a ‘conflict’ between the pairs that is NOT a ‘conflict’ between the MF and the TBP and the current price).

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you this but remember that just because there is a conflicting signal it does not necessarily mean that it’s a problem or that the system is wrong because ‘TWO CURRENCIES DO A PAIR MAKE’.

What I’m trying to say is that just because you have a signal to go long EUR/USD and another signal to go short EUR/JPY does not mean that the system is giving you false information i.e. of course what happens to the value of the EUR in this instance will affect the market price of these two pairs BUT the value of the USD and the JPY will also, obviously, affect the market price of the two pairs, and the outcome of the trade.

As far as conflicts between the TBP and the MF I assume you’re talking about the situation where the MF is giving you a signal to go long (or short) but the opening price is below the calculated TBP (if getting a signal to go long) or the opening price is above the calculated TBP (if getting a signal to go short)??? I have always ‘stayed out’ in this situation. Having said that: you could also go contrary to the MF as indicated by the book i.e. if you can imagine that you are already in a trade and the MF is telling you to go long (for example) but the price has closed below the TBP for the day then you could go short which would be contrary to the MF but consistent with the TBP. Make sense??? In other words you’re ‘acting’ as if you were already in a trade which has gone ‘sour’ and now the TBP is giving you a signal not the MF. From what I gather it’s the TBP that is a ‘key value’ not the MF so much although the MF is what gives you your initial entry if you’ve hit the TP target or been stopped out.

Actually: you can tell me this I’m sure: can a person create ‘custom indicators’ with Oanda (that’s where your acccount is is it not)? If so then maybe I should start looking at ‘coding’ this stuff into Oanda as well. It’d be great if I had all of the systems ‘coded’ into the more popular platforms like MT4, Oanda, etc. Obviously I have no problem timewise with placing the orders at Delta because I have the entries right in front of me at any given time so it’s really quick to just place the orders. The only way I can think of solving your order entry issue at the moment is to suggest that you open an account at Delta (through ME of course) at least until I have finished doing the GCI ‘coding’ anyway.

Oh, and by the way, I have also completed the ‘coding’ of the CSI into my Delta platform and I must tell you that the results are VERY interesting to say the least!!! I have quite a few open positions (Swing Index System) and some of them are doing great while others are doing ‘not so great’ and the interesting thing is that the ones that are doing great have a high CSI value and the ones that are doing ‘not so great’ have a very low CSI value. I found this to be very interesting indeed and, strangely enough, if the CSI value is low it appears to be a very clear indication as to whether or not the instrument is trading in a range or is trending. I’ve done it in such a way that it gives you a graph of the CSI (much like a moving average indicator) and it’s also very interesting to see where the CSI goes higher and where it goes lower over a period. I’m now having ‘fun’ comparing the CSI values of all the indices and so far it looks great i.e. gives some surprising results as to what you should be trading at any given time and what is ‘dead in the water’ and really just a waste of time and capital!!!

I can’t make custom indicators with oanda, their trading software is somewhat primitive, although their spreads are very good. Wow, that’s great that you have coded the CSI, and it seems like you are getting some pretty good information from it as well. I may have to open an account with delta, can you trade commodities and stocks with them as well? I was messing around on my GCI demo earlier and I came across a problem that is going to result in me asking a really stupid question… how do you enter a trade “on the close” when you can only trade the stocks and most of the commodities during the limited hours, the time that the market is open? The reason I ask this is because with the TBP system among others, you have to wait until the close to enter a position, but how are you supposed to do this if the market closes and you can’t make the trade?

Hello,

At Delta you can trade the following:

Forex (of course, 44 pairs, including a whole ‘bunch’ of ‘exotic’ currencies.
Securities in the USA, UK, Romania, Netherlands, France, Germany, and Belguim.
Crude Oil in the USA and UK.
Metals (Gold and Silver)
Indices in the USA, UK, and EU.

Unfortuanately they do not offer commodities but now that you ask I’m going to contact them to see why not i.e. that would be ‘first prize’ (for me anyway).

As far as placing an order ‘on the close’ is concerned:

Not a stupid question at all i.e. I don’t understand it either. What I have ‘resorted’ to doing is placing an order a minute or two or three before the close if I need to. I am NOT sure, however, if this is the same thing i.e. it goes with my question that I asked some pages back about ‘pre-market’ trading as well i.e. what is this ‘pre-market trading’ that I watch on Bloomberg every day??? How is it possible to trade before the open???

I was hoping that one or two of the ‘gurus’ would ‘chime in’ on this one but for some or the other reason it seems as if we’re being ignored on this thread of late!!!

By the way: I do know in the book that he says that he has had better results placing an order ‘on the close’ but he also goes on to say that it’s personal preference as well i.e. only place an order five minutes after the open. I prefer this for two reasons i.e. you’re not paying the overnight interest or swap AND there is nothing worse than having an overnight position and watching the futures trade in the opposite direction overnight!!!

Hey, check this out:

It’s ‘funky’ man:

Just for interest sake (and for the sake of ‘testing’ the / my / Wilder’s ‘Commodity Selection Index’ or ‘CSI’) I compared these pairs (CSI is shown in brackets):

EUR/GBP (0.0134)
USD/CHF (0.0127)
GBP/USD (0.0095)
EUR/USD (0.0080)
EUR/CHF (0.0045)

According to the CSI they should be traded in the order in which I listed them.

According to the CSI trading EUR/GBP is a ‘better deal’ than trading EUR/CHF AT THE MOMENT i.e. the CSI can change on a daily basis.

What surprised me is that AT THE MOMENT trading USD/CHF is a ‘better deal’ than GBP/USD according to the CSI.

More:

XAU/USD (213.46) (Gold)
XAG/USD (0.27) (Silver)

Gold is the ‘obvious one’!!!

And still more:

Dow (346)
Nasdaq (221)
S&P (141)

Obviously if you had to ‘choose’ then the Dow, at the moment, is the ‘better deal’ of the three EVEN ALTHOUGH the margin requirement for the Dow is MUCH more than that of the S&P.

Now while all of this may be very exciting I’m wondering if it’s possible to ‘rate’ the CSI on the same scale for ALL of the above? I don’t think that you can simply say that ‘Oh well, Gold is ‘tops’’ for the simple reason that I don’t think you’re comparing ‘like for like’. The CSI was calculated on the ‘minimums’ i.e. forex per lot size of 1000, metals per 1 lot, and the indices per 1 contract. Then again, does it actually make a difference??? In other words: the CSI value would be the same whether you based the calculation on 1 lot or 1000 lots. The only problem in the comparison I think is the number of decimal places (and this is one of the ‘issues’ that I had to sort out with the Swing Index System) i.e. to compare the Dow to EUR/GBP I think it would have to look like this:

EUR/GBP (0.0134)
Dow (0.0346)

OR

EUR/GBP (134)
Dow (346)

which together with Gold would then be as follows:

EUR/GBP (0.0134)
Dow (0.0346)
Gold (2.1346)

OR

EUR/GBP (134)
Dow (346)
Gold (21346)

No matter which wasy to ‘slice it’ or calculate it Gold seems to ‘come out tops’ at the moment.

Anybody interested in this type of thing please feel free to comment!!! Don’t hold back. Please. Thank you.

Following on (it get’s even MORE interesting, for me anyway):

DAX (Frankfurt) (464)
CAC40 (Paris) (439)
FTSE 100 (London) (420)
Dow (346)
Nasdaq (221)
S&P (141)
AEX (Amsterdam) (150)

Guess which of them you should be trading at the moment?

I can tell you this much from past experience:

I have traded the AEX in the past and it’s a ‘dog’ i.e. ‘nothing happens’ ALL DAY.

I have also traded the DAX in the past and it single handedly assisted me in the ‘obliteration’ of at least two live accounts!!! Aside from my ‘less than stirling’ trades at least I now know that there was a ‘mitigating factor’!!!

Edit:

By the way: I hope the markets were ‘kind’ to you today. They’ve been VERY kind to me and the SI System this week so far!!!

Oopps…wrong place to post

Hi Dale… nice work you’ve done! Yes, the markets were kind to me today :), hit the target on 8 of my 9 trades, I did get stopped out on my long gbp/usd trade but I still made a good amount of pips today. That is interesting about gold, so it by far has the highest csi… I can trade it with oanda but it has a pretty high spread, 40 pips is the lowest I’ve seen it, but gold looks like it moves a lot so it’s still probably pretty good. Oanda has variable spreads so when the market is slow the spreads go up but during major trading hours they are really good, 0.8 pips for eur/usd and 1.5 for usd/jpy. How fast can the csi values change? Can they really vary a lot day to day or is it more of a gradual change? I bet certain forex pairs/stocks/commodities generally have a higher value most/all of the time, wilder says to choose commodities that generally have a high csi to trade with so I’m sure he has his “favorites” that historically and currently have a high csi.

Good morning,

I’m really happy that things are going so well for you. It’s really nice to hear. Sorry about GBP/USD (but very glad it was not GBP/JPY)!!! On the other hand (no offense meant here by any means but let’s be honest): ANYBODY that was long GBP/USD this week REGARDLESS of what system they were using deserves a ‘kick in the butt’!!! :D!!!

The CSI calculation as you know takes into account ADXR(14) and ATR(14) so it is a gradual change over time. From what I can see though there are many instruments that spend a whole lot more time with a high CSI as opposed to others that fluctuate on a regular basis.

Just be careful with the CSI data that I posted i.e. I’m not sure about the CSI for Gold i.e. it just seems REALLY high to me. As a matter of fact I’m ‘kinda hoping’ that you’ll calculate the CSI yourself (over the weekend as I know you’ve got other priorities right now) and then post your results to compare. The reason I’m worried with Gold is that it is the only thing that still does not ‘fit’ properley with the SI System’s Trailing Index SAR i.e. using the exact same calculations (whether manual or ‘automatic’ as per my ‘coded’ SI System) the Trailing Index SAR is just far too close to the current price and this tells me that Gold may be a ‘special’ case. As a matter of fact I have the opposite ‘issue’ with Silver as well i.e. the SI System’s Trailing Index SAR is too far away from the current price for it to be correct (I think i.e. just ‘gut feel’ on this). I’m not sure if it’s got to do with the price per pip movement or the number of decimal places or what but I just feel there is a problem and I’m still trying to figure it out. On the other hand: EVEN IF there is something wrong with my calculations and you move the decimal place for Gold you will STILL come up with a higher value than anything else i.e. it could be 2.1346 or even 0.21346 or even 0.021346 (I doubt that it could be ‘more wrong’ than that even if there is indeed a problem with the calculations or the placing of the decimal point or the pip value). Anyway, when you get a chance, calculate the CSI for a few things and see what you come up with i.e. that’s the purpose of our ‘discussions’ in the first place is it not i.e. to make sure we’re ‘on the same page’ as it were.

I am already working on ‘coding’ the stuff into the GCI platform (it’s taking some time though because I last worked with Pascal ‘a century ago’ but I’m getting there). I’ll tell you this though: it’s easy to see why he traded commodities. Last night I bought 1 $50 lot of Soybeans (I am using Excel to calculate the ASI for this one at the moment i.e. only tradeable at GCI) and, within five minutes of opening the position it turned to a profit of over $50!!! It seems to have an EXTREMELY high pip value (similar to Gold and Silver) (Silver has a pip value of $10 at GCI would you believe i.e for every 1 cent move in the price of Silver you’re making, or, of course, losing, $10). Every time I’ve traded Soybeans in the past I’ve made a profit but have never been able to hold on to the positions because I was too busy ‘messing around’ with other instruments and always had to close my Soybeans positions to avoid margin calls (which I got in the end anyway). Anyway, since I have now ‘learned the hard way’, this will not happen again EVER i.e. I have learned the ‘EXTREME hard way’ to NOT over trade my accounts and it makes the absolute WORLD of difference i.e. you just feel more ‘confident’ and it’s certainly a lot less stressful (and of course I’ve ‘pumped up’ the capital in my accounts AGAIN this time round BUT have learned NOT to take advantage of this anymore)!!!

I will tell you this though: I am REALLY impressed with the SI System!!! You really need to give it a ‘spin’. And I’ll tell you this too for nothing: (I know I have probably said this before too) NEVER in over a year of trading have I had so many consecutive and consistent profitable trades as I have had since I started using the systems in the book and I really think that the man is a genius. On the other hand (and this is for the ‘give me an indicator and let me slap it on my charts and get rich quick and don’t ask me to read a thread’ fraternity): I can honestly say that I have ‘put in the hours’ with the systems in the book i.e. it may sound like I’m ‘stupid’ but it’s taken me months of reading, re-reading, manual calculations, and more manual calculations, and still more re-reading, to actually ‘grasp’ the CONCEPTS (not necessarily the actual systems) detailed in the book and it’s made a huge difference to my trading and to me as a person. I honestly feel that, for the first time since starting to trade for a living, I’m REALLY trading and I am actually WORKING for my profits and it’s a very good feeling. Maybe I’m ‘slower’ than other people (I don’t think so but you never know) and it’s taken me longer to get to this point than it would have taken others but I do know one thing for sure now: THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS IN THIS BUSINESS I can assure any new trader reading this thread. Last year I almost lost everything I had trying to find the ‘simple and easy way’ (and I may STILL lose everything because I may not be able to make money fast enough to ‘catch up’ and satisy my creditors if their ‘patience’ wears out which would be a REAL pity i.e. too much too late) and there is just ‘no such thing’!!! Put in the ‘groundwork’ and the effort and be prepared to spend a little on ‘educating’ yourself and you will succeed (funny enough I now find myself wondering how many people have bought ‘New Concepts In Technical Trading Systems’, given the systems a ‘bash’, and then found that ‘hey: this is too much trouble to ‘work’ on a daily basis so let’s move on to something easy’ and the ‘poor old book’ has ended up on some back shelf somewhere gathering dust. I initially fell into this ‘trap’ myself if the truth be told and it’s only when I started to get financially desperate that I had to ‘put in the slog’). Hearing about the ‘fortunes’ made in trading and trying to do the same without realising it’s a job or a career like any other and you need to do the ‘legwork’ IS a recipe for disaster I can assure you. It’s amazed me over the past year or so that you NEVER hear of anybody losing in this business (other than, of course, the trader from SOCGEN) i.e. you only really ever hear of how well it’s going and when it’s not going so well then things go ‘ominously’ quiet!!!

Let me also add this: I’m not saying that ‘New Concepts In Technical Trading Systems’ is the ‘‘b’ all and end all’ of books. It’s working for me but there are probably ‘dozens’ of good ‘works’ and better systems out there (Wilder himself mentions a few). The point I’m trying to make here is that take a system, any system, whether it’s candlestick trading (I’ll get this right ONE day), Bill Williams, John F. Carter, ‘The Turtles’, (I could go on and on): if you ‘work’ them diligently and consistently you will succeed BUT: buy a book, skip to the ‘trading systems section’ and start trading and you’ve already lost half the battles and the market will take care of the rest for you!!!

Anyway: that’s my ‘BS’ for the day (got to get back to ‘Pascal’ you know)!!!

Good trading!!!

Hope you have some time on your hands this weekend (and I also hope that school is going well)!!!

Hi Dale, school has been pretty good this week, did well on the midterms so I am in a good mood. Current positions with the TBP not looking so good right now but there’s still plenty of day left. I went to bed last night with 7 of my 9 positions in the red and woke up with 8 of 9 closed out hitting the target, so I can’t get too upset yet. I will set aside some time tomorrow (saturday) and go over the calculations for the csi and see what I get. It looks good that you are getting several commodities with high csi ratings that seem to stay that way, after I spend some time on it saturday maybe I’ll have my top choices for the volatility system… He says to only use the volatility system with the highest csi instruments, so that’s my goal for now. I also want to get some time in studying the swing system, did you say there were some changes you had to make so it would work with forex pairs? I am still trading pretty small lots so I can handle the losses, I decided to wait to deposit more funds until I can get a better handle on some of these systems and then get a couple hundred $$ in the account and see what I can do with it. Anyway, it’s 2:45 am here so good trading, I will report with my findings tomorrow.

Hi Dale,

I’m a newbie to this forum and to FX trading. This thread of yours actually motivated my first post. Currently have a demo account with forex.com. Not sure if they are any good.

Anyway, I got through the first 14 pages of this thread and your PSAR system looks awesome. A few questions if you would be so kind to a newbie. I don’t have a broker (Just pay forex.com on a PIP spread) and need to find how forex.com notifies me of signals - such as a PSAR dot appearing. I’ll be looking into that today with them. I know they can do signal notification, but not sure for PSARs.

Just to make sure I understand your system - when do you find out a PSAR dot for, say an uptrend, appears for a certain currency pair? Does your broker tell you? Do you monitor this? How do you know when the dot reverses trend - outside of watching the screen 24/7?

Also, I have $10,000 to invest. First I would like to try this system on my practice account. How would you recommend I break $10,000 down by currencies and how much leverage do you use and how do you calculate stop loss? Obviously there will be an up and down pattern within a PSAR trend, so you don’t want to be stopped out, but you also don’t want to break the bank - or won’t you with this system if you follow the PSAR trend? I guess that also goes to how much you are leveraged so one currency pair does not kill you, and this is my type of newbie question.

Also, anything new that you are doing since page 14 or so of this thread. Tough to find the time for 180 pages since I’m busy with work and family.

I guess I’m just looking for the nuts and bolts of how to set up trades with this system for a newbie - kind of the Idiots Guide to Dale’s PSAR Method (sounds like a good book). Feels kind of strange asking, but you seem to have been so kind and generous with sharing what you have figured out.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom, and welcome to babypips.com and, in particular, this thread.

First let me say this: I promised myself that I would not repeat anything on this thread again but at 208 pages long maybe it’s time to put in a little ‘bookmark’ as it were.

Parabolic SAR:

Daily charts only (unless you want to lose money in the long run).
Go long (buy) when the first Parabolic SAR dot appears below a candlestick or bar.
Go short (sell) when the first Parabolic SAR dot appears above a candlestick or bar.
Stop and reverse when a candlestick or bar touches a Parabolic SAR dot.

That’s it in its ‘purest’ form.

OK, now: I do not know much about forex.com so I can’t help you there. I don’t know if they will send you signals or anything like that. It’s not a ‘train smash’ though for the simple reason that if you are going to trade using the daily charts then it should not take you more than five minutes per day to place an order if necessary or move your stop and reverse point. This get’s done everyday at the open of a new candlestick or bar regardless of what timezone your broker is in.

It’s that simple.

Having said that though I must warn you that with Parabolic SAR you have to be able to ‘ride out’ the inevitable drawdowns (losses actually) so it is very important to NOT overtrade your account i.e. with $10 000 and 200:1 leverage never be using (‘margining’) more than $1 500 on any single position (15% of your capital) (some would say to never use more than $250 on any single position i.e. 2.5% of your capital) and never use (‘margin’) more than $6 000 (60%) of your capital at any one time.

Now there is something that you need to do:

I STRONGLY urge you to read the thread IN IT’S ENTIRETY. No offense but if you don’t have the time to do this then you’re looking for a ‘quick fix’ and if you’ve read (at very least) my last post on this thread today (before this one) you’ll maybe understand why I say this. One thing you will NOT know because you have not read the thread is that I lost in excess of $60 000 or so last year (not ‘demo money’ but REAL USD) so before you go praising the merits of my system you need to know that (it’s not my system by the way i.e. it was developed by a Mr J. Welles Wilder Jnr. and the indicator itself is pretty much ‘standard’ on trading platforms the world over. All I’ve done is lay down the correct use of the indicator). While I DO have the utmost faith in this indicator and am sure that over a long period of time it will nett you some healthy profits believe me when I say that successful trading is probably ‘10% good system’ or ‘10% good indicator’ and ‘90% mental preparation and attitude’. You should also know that I do not trade with Parabolic SAR anymore for reasons that I have detailed on the thread (not too far back).

Now I know that you may be thinking that I’m being a bit ‘harsh’ here. That is definitely NOT my intention. I would hate to see a new trader throw $10 000 ‘down the toilet’ when they did not have to!!!

Put it this way: if you have any questions of a technical nature that relate to Parabolic SAR I’ll gladly help you if I am able to but I just don’t want you going into this business the way I did and then land up where I did when you did not have to in the first place i.e. I’ve already paid YOUR tuition fees (and then some) so you don’t have to go and ‘fork out’ a further $10 000 on tuition fees I assure you.

Now after all that: don’t get ‘cold feet’. After going through all the ‘pain and anguish’ I honestly believe that I have arrived at a point where I can truly say that I can, and that I am, trading for living now and if I can help you get to where I am without you having to ‘lose your shirt’ then I’m certainly willing to do so.

Stay in touch.

Dale,

Thanks for the sound advice. I will read the whole thread. Not to worry, I will be doing my homework. While I have $10,000 to speculate with, I won’t invest a dime until at least a few months of demo trading AND where I can show a consistent profit demo trading. Otherwise, my money will leave the forex.com account and go some place safer since it is a lot of money to me, but still dollars that I have deemed to use for speculation. I have several books I have bought to read on this, as well as online courses and webinars at forex.com.

Just out of curiosity, a week or two in after the first few pages of this thread I read, you were up anywhere from $1,500 - $2,500 (depending on the day). That was back in end of July/start of August. How have you done since? I’m sure I will get into it as I read the thread, which will take at least a week. For now, I’m dying of curiosity as to whether the profits continued. As for any tweaking you did, I’ll find that out as I read the thread.

Thanks so much for your input. Like I said - until I prove I can make money on a demo basis with a “system” (I will demo several), I won’t spend a dime of real money. Sorry to hear about your losses, but I am glad for you that it appears things have turned around.

Cheers!

Tom

EDIT: Just noted that I missed you are not trading PSAR anymore. I guess I will get to why as I read the thread. Hopefully it is still a good system and you just found a better one. I guess the fact that you still indicate you can make money long term on PSAR means something, but as you said, I will read the thread. NOW I am curious as to what happened. This thread is starting to appear like an exciting novel, but I won’t peek ahead. One thing I do appreciate from a post you made back in July is the recommendation of a book that gets into the psychological aspect. That does appear to be very important.

I’m looking at EUR/USD at 5:30 pm EST. I notice for the daily PSAR there are three dots above the candles. For the weekly and monthly the PSAR dots are below the candles. The long term trend had been bullish and just went bearish - at least for now.

I would assume if I had gotten in short with the first dot above the candles and stayed short that the weekly and maybe eventually the monthly would flip to the top of the candles.

Has anyone noticed a timeframe for when the weekly catches up (such as one week, but I’m not sure if this is how it works), and if the weekly does not catch up, if this is not indication of a reverse?

Please bear with me as a newbie. Just rying to figure out how the daily relates to the weekly on a timeframe and anlysis basis - not that I should worry about this with this system. Just do a stop reverse, but I am curious as to the mechanics of the daily-weekly-monthlys PSARS.

Sorry if this is a very basic question and I hope I am not boring too many with it, but this is apparantly a beginners trading forum.

OK, having read most of this thread, I’d first like to thank everybody for all their insights. It is really helping me learn. Seems there have been adjustments in the PSAR system and a move away from it.

As for Dale’s great success in August and not so great success since with the PSAR system, I talked to my Relationship Manager at forex.com about this. He mentioned, as has been mentioned on posts on this thread, that this PSAR system is best in a volatile market. He mentioned that August is the most volatile month of the year due to everybody being on vacation and with such little activity, banks and economic indicators really move forex up and down. Even said August 16, 2007 was the most volatile day for currencies since 1988. He also mentioned Thanksgiving in the U.S. and Christmas to News Years providing overall volatile markets. This would help explain Dale’s success in August, and perhaps this PSAR system should be the way to go every August. Curious as to how Dale did late November and Late December if he was still using PSAR since these are volatile times.

Good morning Tom,

I’m glad you went throught the sutff on the thread. Please don’t get me wrong: it was not my intention to MAKE you read the thread (and to subject you to what was, ostensibly, my ‘inane drivel’ at times) but there is also a lot of valuable insight into the ‘psychology’ of trading and, of course, you’ve now also read about Parabolic SAR’s ‘shortcomings’ and about the ‘extras’ that we all ‘threw at it’ in an effort to ‘tweak’ its performance. Some worked, some did not.

(And you’re not boring anyone I can assure you).

Now to addresss your questions:

Regarding the weekly and monthly timeframes and their relation to the daily timeframes:

I do remember that at one stage I was checking to see whether or not there was any merit in seeing what was happening on the weekly and monthly timeframes and only taking trades on the daily timeframe if the direction of Parabolic SAR was the same i.e. if the direction of Parabolic SAR was the same on the weekly and monthly timeframe then the idea was to only take trades on the daily timeframe in the same direction and not stopping and reversing when stopped out but waiting for the next trade in the same direcction. While I am absolutely 100% that this ‘strategy’ would work there was only one time last year (if I remember correctly) that Parabolic SAR on the daily and weekly timeframe was going in the same direction so, of course, this limited your trading for the simple reason that you would probably end up waiting for an absolute age to get an entry. Now this, of course, is where the ‘psychology of trading’ comes in and it depends on what you’re looking to ‘get’ out of trading or how you ‘want’ or ‘need’ to trade. There is absolutely no question that if you waited for the first Parabolic SAR dot to appear on the monthly timeframe, then waited for a new Parabolic SAR dot to appear on the weekly timeframe indicating that Parabolic SAR was now going to be moving in the same direction on the weekly timeframe as on the monthly timeframe, and then only took trades on the daily timeframe in the same ‘Parabolic SAR direction’, you would be very successful. The question is: do you have the patience and discipline to wait for this set up to occur? If you do then I really do believe that you would make a whole lot of money and your inevitable drawdowns would be negligable. I can assure you that I don’t have the patience for this and I have not come across anyone else who does to be honest. Again: it goes to your ‘trading intentions’ i.e. if you’re looking at trading as an long term investment i.e. I call it ‘tradevesting’ then I’m sure this is the way to go i.e. ‘low or no’ maintenance system i.e. five minutes per day to check you positions and move your stops etc. and, over time, a great return on investment. Most people that have decided to get into this business, however, need to ‘trade’ regularly even although they probably won’t admit it to themselves i.e. they (I) would not be able to open a position and let it run for days, maybe weeks, and possibly even months, without ‘tampering’ with the position or trying to realise profits sooner (and it becomes even more impossible to do if you’re doing this for a living and need to pay bills at month end) and the problem with getting out early is that you may now have to wait another very long while for a good set up to occur again so, of course, not having ‘what it takes’ to trade like this, you start opening positions sooner than you should, you don’t wait for the set up, and, eventually, you ‘see your ar*e’!!! That’s why it’s very important to be sure before you start what you are trying to accomplish i.e. are you seeing this as a long term investment where the return on your investment by far exceeds anything you would get from fixed deposit at a bank or do you ‘want’ or ‘need’ to trade every day. Me: I ‘want’ to or ‘need’ to trade every day and by me trying to trade with something that did not suit my ‘trading personality’ just spelled disaster.

It is also very important to know the history of Parabolic SAR. It was developed by my ‘mentor’ (hero???) Mr J. Welles Wilder Jnr. in the 1970’s. Mr Wilder (at the time) was a commodities (and metals) trader ONLY (Soybeans, Lumber, Pork Bellies, Gold, Silver, etc.). Now I have had a look at Parabolic SAR in relation to these instruments and I can tell you that it is PERFECTLY suited to trading them i.e. the drawdowns are minimal, the amount of times Parabolic SAR is ‘wrong’ are minimal, and Parabolic SAR seems to ‘fit them like a glove’. These instruments ‘behave’ in a TOTALLY different way to forex pairs i.e. they are NOT volatile (I’m afraid I disagree with what you broker told you i.e. volatility is ‘the enemy’ not ‘the friend’ of Parabolic SAR) and they spend a lot more time ‘trending’ than forex pairs and this is what Parabolic SAR was designed to do i.e. make money out of the trend. For Parabolic SAR to ‘excel’ your instrument needs directional movement and volatility is NOT a factor i.e. good strong directional movement without volatility is where this indicator will perform best.

As far as what I have been doing since August last year is concerned:

Well I pretty much ‘saw my ar*e’ financially but kept on trading with very little money trying all sorts of systems and indicators none of which really worked for me at least not to the point where I was making enough money to pay my bills etc. At one stage even my broadband access was suspended due to non payment but I kept on using my mobile phone to trade (the cost of which exceeded what I was making by the way) and test systems and strategies etc. etc. etc. Now the irony of everything is this: one of the very first books that I purchased was ‘New Concepts In Technical Trading Systems’ by J. Welles Wilder Jnr. and, when I first got the book, I ‘looked through it’, tried one or two of the systems in the book, but soon gave up because of there complexity and the time I needed to spend ‘working’ these systems every night. It’s ironical because even back then: every time I used whatever system from the book I was ‘keen on’ at the time I made profits but it just became too much of a ‘hassle’ to maintain the systems on a daily basis so, I started looking for something ‘simple’ and a lot less ‘taxing’: enter Parabolic SAR (another irony of course is that the theory of Parabolic SAR and its CORRECT usage is covered in the first chapter in the book)!!! Anyway, toward the end of last year, I ‘knuckled down’ with the book, programmed or ‘coded’ all the systems in the book into one of my trading platforms, and have not looked back since. I now, almost exclusively, trade one of the systems in the book and it’s working for me ‘big time’. My trades are now ‘consistent’ and that, my friend, is the ‘key’ to this i.e. there is no point in having the odd ‘windfall’ i.e. a HUGE profit every couple of months or so and then nothing (or losses) for the rest of the time i.e. rather CONSISTENTLY make smaller profits. I managed, at the beginning of this year, to loan some more money to ‘plough’ into my trading using the systems in the book and for the first time since I started trading I can ‘see the light at the end of the tunnel’ and there is a very real possibility that I will be able to pay my creditors at some point in the future and not lose (any more) assets. And THAT is where I’m at at the moment and that is where I intend to stay!!!

Did I also mention: ‘Never Give Up’!!!