Parabolic SAR - that's all!

Hi Dale:

Now I remember why I couldn’t do math in high school. My technical attention wanders after the simple stuff is over. I appreciate your honesty and your effort to console us with a similar system.

Now hear this. I was surfing the forum earlier today and was attracted to elang’s thread on the 50 EMA. For I’m still a forum junkie looking to shape a system that fits my personality and trading hours. When I started reading his system I thought great this is beautiful. And I gathered some similar wisdom from James PSAR and MACD system on EUR/USD.

With your PSAR rules to add to the repertoire, somewhere, somehow, I would arrive at the Holy Grail.

But as I read more and more of Elang 50 EMA system I thought “So much nonstop analysis and monitoring is needed to make some money out of the forex market. Is forex trading really for me? Every time I see a system that could almost deliver the goods the drawdown is just too much for my taste or the analysis too involved for my aversion to protracted analyses.”

Yet I believed it would be a good idea to trade elang 50 EMA system in one subaccount and the PSAR with MACD in another subaccount. Visually and mathematically watching the pivot points and other indicators to determine entries and exits.

I wished I loved numbers enough to do the backtesting and the months of demo trading like a true forex guru in the making; instead I’m so lazy i leave it up to the accounting degree soul like you to do the hard work. Then I experiment and mix and match.

In other words the weakness in my approach is a stubborn reluctance to backtest properly and demo trade thoroughly.

What I’m really saying is that if I find the capital, time, and patience to continue in this business then the solution might just be in that not so complicated zone where we use an easy to understand indicator like PSAR, filterered by just one or two more indicators like 25EMA/50EMA, and MACD, with some simple trading rules. More visual than technical.

Otherwise I’ll just trade news with the help of people like Felix Homogratus. Trading news is about macroeconomics at its simplest. Biased of course by the fact that the big boys are always on top of much of the vital info thats important to the market.

So we’ve come a long way from PSAR that’s all; to a confluence of ideas that might see us coming ashore onto a new forex island altogether. Happy sailing. I just wish I could give more help in the engine room.

Glendon

Edit: The more things change the more they remain the same. There is a GBP Filter which you can get from the daily20pip.com site which uses the exact methodology for cable breakout pivot point system. I trade that signal from time to time. I’ve downloaded the filter onto my FXDD MT4 demo chart, and guess what, it’s almost the 50EMA.

Check this site for the system:

forex day trading

Hm… :confused:

This new thing is not making any sense to me. I’m not quite sure what questions to ask either as it just doesn’t make any sense to me on any level. I’m not understanding how you know when to enter and when to exit based on just looking at the SMA or EMA and PSAR. Before, having another indicator such as MACD and Stochs. really gave me an idea of where the trend was going or how it was going to turn out at least for the time being and gave me an idea of when I should exit. BUT on days like today, I don’t want to enter late or I can’t find any valid entries and so I don’t take anything for fear of making a bad move.

Looking at the charts with the new idea, I really have no idea when to make a decision… looks more like a risky gamble, hoping things will go your way. I mean, it all is a risky business… but at least before I had some assurance of the way things we’re going to go for the most part.

I DO however agree how annoying it is WAITING for that perfect entry… it seems it never happens. Or ANY entry for that matter. I go through the charts and only find like 1 valid entry that has ended up turning against me. I’m finding it odd where last week I could get into everything and make considerable demo money and now I can’t find anything at all. Is this just the natural fluctuation of things and we have to wait it out? Maybe trading with another system to at least bring in some profits during this wait period will help. Maybe this “new” rules system is the key to that… but it needs to be tweaked to make more sense… at least to me. However, when reviewing Bocajunior’s results, it seems like the system is great and it works… why totally change it because of a bad week? To be honest Dale, I think you can’t get into anything because of your Delta platform (sorry, I don’t mean to sound harsh or thrash your platform). But its the PSAR on it… to me, its totally f***ed. Whereas on MT4 or even OANDA’s system, I could find trades… on Delta, I couldn’t find a thing. It was all backwards.

Well, at this point it seems like the “new” rules are like driving a car with your eyes closed, hoping to reach your destination safe and sound. The contributors here are great and I’m sure a system whether using the old rules or a set of new ones (or somewhere in between) will for sure come out and be great.

I think I’ll keep looking at charts and maybe I’ll get it. I’m posting a chart to illustrate my confusion.

Sorry for the looooooong post! :smiley:

I must’ve missed Glendon’s post, but I agree with him 100% cause I followed the same path through this and have asked myself the same questions.

I just wanted to agree to the statement of having a system more visual than technical. That goes with my artistic background. I’m very visual and math is very hard for me. I understand the basics and can take it from there… but if I can’t look at the way dots and graph lines are moving… then its game over for me.

Folks like me are always gonna rely on you math whizzes to help us get to where we would like to be. I too wish I could contribute more than a thank you here and a good job there…

To spare me having to actually read all 90+ pages of this, (read the first 20 or so), did this turn out to be thumbs up in the end or thumbs down?

Thumbs up, I would say. Mind you, it is still a work in progress. The thing keeps evolving and changing in different ways.

If you want to demo the system that has worked very well, skip over to page 46 and there is a good layout of how to set it up and where to go from there.

Keep reading around… skim through the pages. There is a lot of info and insight not only on the system, but on trading FOREX in general. And there is a lot of *****ing and complaining too! LOL

Oh… its the post by Ingot54. The text is in red.

Good morning everyone, nice to see some more new posts, and thanks for the input.

Akram:

That’s seems to be ‘the beauty’ of this ‘simpler’ system i.e. it does not matter that on one timeframe you are being given one signal and on another timeframe you are being given a different (contradictory) signal - just follow the SMA or EMA rules.

Glendon and Rob,

Thanks for the posts.

OK - let me ‘recap’.

You are NOT using Parabolic SAR for your ‘initial trend entry point’ anymore if that makes sense.

In other words - your initial entry point is the point where the price CLOSES above or below the 50 EMA (EMA seems to work better by the way).

Your initial stop and reverse point is the 50 EMA and this remains the case UNTIL Parabolic SAR has started to lock in profits. Once that happens you then start using Parabolic SAR to keep profits locked in.

Edit:

(By the way - you’ll also notice that by using this ‘method’ you no longer have those HUGE initial stops that you would have had had you been using ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR. Remember that you also need to ‘tailor your stops’ to the size of your account).

If you get stopped out by Parabolic SAR (which at this point HAS to be at a profit) you then only take future Parabolic SAR trades in the same direction. You never stop and reverse based on Parabolic SAR.

That’s all there is to it.

I don’t agree that it’s like driving a car with your eyes closed.

As a matter of fact - now that I’ve read and digested that statement - I think that’s a far better description of the ‘old’ ‘system’ and ‘rules’.

In other words: Parabolic SAR is a trend following indicator - nothing more - nothing less. The 50 EMA is telling you that a trend has started. So - why not buy or sell into the trend and THEN use a trend following indicator i.e. Parabolic SAR to lock in your profits?

In my original ‘system’ I would be basing my entry on Parabolic SAR and then HOPING that a trend would start. Then we (I) added all of those other indicators and the end result as far as I’m concerned has been less than ‘stellar’ - not to mention the fact that if you then wait for all of those indicators to ‘align’ or confirm a trade - you could very well wait a very long time to trade - and then STILL be wrong - and that’s exactly what’s happened.

As far as Delta’s Parabolic SAR (‘SAR’) is concerned - yes - there is definitely a problem with it - and I have contacted them - and they have forwarded my queries to their IT department - and I hope to get an answer some time soon. What I HAVE noticed though - is that the problem ONLY manifests itself when you reach a Parabolic SAR stop and reverse point BUT NOT while you’re following an already established trend. We will sort the problem out I’m sure but for the purposes of this ‘new’ ‘system’ it really does not matter as you would never be performing a stop and reverse based on Parabolic SAR.

As previously stated - the only time where you will have losses with this ‘new’ ‘system’ is when the pair is range bound i.e. the price is ‘hanging around’ the 50 EMA for a couple of days - closing one day above the 50 EMA and then closing the next day below the 50 EMA and so on and so forth and that’s why I suggested (maybe) using that Break Out Point Calculator that I posted earlier for pairs like this i.e. once the pair has ‘broken out’ it will definitely be far away enough from the 50 EMA to have started trending.

Look - I’m NOT saying that Parabolic SAR can’t do the job - it works AMAZINGLY well - ON IT’S OWN - on Soybeans for example - and on the Indices - but - again - like I said before - it’s NOT producing results - good enough for me - on forex pairs.

I don’t know if this is ‘beginners luck’ this morning by the way - but I now have only two positions showing a profit - and - you guessed it - they’re AUD/CAD and USD/JPY. AUD/CAD is currently over $500 and USD/JPY is on about $68.

I also had a look at the 25/50 EMA system of elang last night (believe it or not AFTER I came up with this 50 EMA thing) and me thinks that although the ‘systems’ are very similar - we have one added ‘mechanical’ ‘bonus’ - and that’s the fact that we have Parabolic SAR to lock in profits i.e. ‘nothing left to the imagination’.

Trading using EMA’s or SMA’s is nothing new by the way. ‘Analysts’ always refer to the 50 SMA and 200 SMA when ‘analysing’ charts (OK - yes - they also refer to RSI and Stochastics so feel free to use them if it’ll make you feel better).

Someone (I forget who) posted a very interesting post on this site - the post was about the different ‘degrees’ or ‘levels’ that you reach as a trader - and of all the things that I remember from that post - one thing ‘stuck out’ - and it went something along the lines of ‘when you have exhausted all other methods and indicators and you find that you only need one indicator and one SMA or EMA to trade and make profits then you’ve finally arrived’ (I’m not quoting - that’s how I remember it). If anybody can find that post feel free to post the link here.

Also - as previously stated - I agree that fundamental analysis is important - I just do not have ‘it’ when it comes to understanding fundamentals and the effect that they have on the markets. Look at what happened on Friday. The ‘euphoria’ and then the ‘slump’. Somebody like ‘Tess’ obviously understands these things (see her fantastic and concise explanation as to WHY the NFP did not have the desired results we all thought that it would have a couple of posts back). Somebody like her obviously ‘has what it takes’ to be able to ‘make a call’ based on fundamentals - I unfortuanately - do not have (or have not as yet developed) this skill - so - I need a trading system that is ‘purely technical’ and the times when the fundamentals kick in will just have to be a ‘potential hazard’.

I feel at this point that I’ve been wrong about ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR and let me add that it’s not the usual ‘syndrome’ of not ‘doggedly’ sticking with a system and then ‘bailing’ the first time it makes a loss. I’ve spent MANY MANY hours trying to make our ‘old’ system work and when it has not worked I’ve spent EVEN MORE hours trying to figure out why and this change of direction is the result of those hours.

Anyway - I’m going to be looking at 4 hour, 2 hour, and 1 hour charts today and will trade this ‘new’ system and see what happens.

I’m man enough to admit when I’m wrong - and I’m certainly not going to ‘doggedly’ stick with a system that is going to help me wipe my account out OR leave me sitting ‘high and dry’ at month end without enough cash to pay my creditors. If this does not work - I’ll try something else - but I do believe that THESE ‘new rules’ have merit.

Again - don’t take my word for it - look at the charts.

Regards,

Dale.

Thanks Dale!

It makes a lot of sense now. My eyes are now open and following the road more closely! :wink: I tend to not give up on old ideas so easily too. I try to hang on to them as long as I can. :rolleyes:

I think that the old system does work (and I’m not trying to disprove or anything, just organizing my thought out loud), to a certain extent. I think we’ve reached that certain extent.

What I need to do is just give the new idea a try. Just let it flow and see what happens. Using fake money anyway!

Thanks again for clarifying things (again). Good luck testing this new monster out. I’ll do the same and I’m sure Akram is well under way. We can all compare notes as we move on!

Oh and I was going to mention that it seemed with Elang’s system, one would contantly have to monitor their positions… whereas the angle you are taking, one could still leave the computer for the day and check up on it periodically… which is what I’m going for. A good swing trading system.

I’m going to apply James’ system on a one day chart and see how that works. Currently have 20 open orders right now on a demo account. Regardless of results, this is quite entertaining thus far.

By the way - Rob - I just looked at your chart - I love it!!!

Yes - I see what you’re saying - that’s WHY I said that when a pair is range bound (there are many methods to use that will indicate this) - use the Break Out Point Calculator - and once a break out point has been hit - then follow this ‘new’ system from there on.

Put it this way - like ANY system - you can post a chart demonstrating why things WONT work - and I can post another chart demonstrating why things WILL work (so have a look at MY attached chart).

Like I said - I REALLY enjoyed you ‘technical analysis’!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Ok… more questions…

What is a good exit strategy? When it drops below the 50 EMA? Or is collecting a certain number of pips a better exit? Say your goal is 100 pips, you reach that, take profits, and then reenter if the trend is still going your way?

And what if you get into the trend late? Is it still okay? Ideally, the earlier the better… so do you want to look for the point at which the 50 EMA is crossed every time or is it possible to get in whenever it is above or below?

I think thats all I have now… hope I’m making sense. I’m starting to understand it more. I’m thinking about entering AUD/USD long right now.

mastergunner99:

We aim to please!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Rob,

I would not get into a trend late because you do not have that ‘profit cushion’ behind you if you do that. I suppose you could take the chance for the simple reason that because Parabolic SAR is going in the same direction as the 50 EMA there is a better than average chance that the trend will continue anyway.

As far a TP is concerned - I’m advocating that you use Parabolic SAR for this purpose. However - I’ve also ‘dreamed’ about taking profit the moment you have hit 100% of the margin cost of the lot. In other words - let’s say that the cost of a lot was $300 - you take profit when the profit is also $300 - not hard to get to these figures - especially not now. Think about it: it means that for every cent you ‘put down’ you’re doubling your money every couple of days (periods). That can’t be a bad thing. Or - you could take profit when the profit figure is a certain percentage of your capital balance (like say a fixed 10%) and then move on to another pair / trade. It’s up to you.

Put it this way: I have 44 pairs to trade - and if I could repeat the above process at least once a week on each pair - I think I’d be a whole lot closer to my goals (and I SURE would not be begging Chrysler to give me a bit more time to catch up the arrears on my car)!!! Get the picture!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Hi guys. What timeframe is “best” for this, still the daily chart? Because depending the chart, the EMA50 has differend level which makes the stop loss/entry point differend in number wise… currently i opened USD/JPY long and put the stop loss using the 3H chart (using oanda) …if used daily chart this same stop loss point would be much lower … its hard to decide which chart to follow, daily or the 4/3h :rolleyes:

Hey johto,

AS PREVIOUSLY STATED: It does not seem to matter which timeframe you use - it APPEARS to still work - just profits (and potential losses of course) are smaller on the shorter timeframes.

By the way - have you listened to the samples from Tarja’s new album??? You know she is touring this year too!!!

I heard (read) a funny joke yesterday:

If fish lived on land where would they live?

Finland!!!

(I know - it’s terrible - came out of my sons lucky packet)!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Okay… chart is attached. Check it out and correct me if I’m wrong.

There are a couple questions on the chart as well.

I understand not having the profit cushion while entering late… however, wouldn’t you still have to wait for the perfect time to enter? Or, since you state this works on all timeframes, can you move to a lower time frame and find and entry point there?

p.s. sorry… shoulda used a diff. color than red on my comments. the thick red line going through the candlesticks is the actual EMA.

If you have any doubt as to the ‘merit of this method’ then take a look at my ‘travel plans’ (EUR/RON 1 hour) (attached)!!!

Dale.

Hello Rob,

I see what you mean now.

Yes - I would do it - all it means is that your potential loss if the 50 EMA is
hit is slightly more - that’s all.

You must just remember that the 50 EMA does not just change direction on a ‘whim’ so if it’s going in a certain direction then there is a reason for it.

Using Parabolic SAR as you indicated to take profit is exactly what I’m saying. Just remember that you would NOT stop and reverse at that point. Yes - again - you will lose out on a trade here - BUT AGAIN - I’d rather make fewer trades with (almost) guaranteed profits - than take EVERY Parabolic SAR trade and end up at break even or a loss.

Regards,

Dale.

okay, i can see how it works on your chart. BUT, notice where you decided to enter… wouldn’t you have flipped out as it started to trend down and the candlestick closed below the EMA before it started going back up?

I guess this reverts back to the question i had… how would you know that it would eventually trend back up? You really wouldn’t… say you got in that to go long and the thing started going short… wouldn’t you have **** your pants? There really isn’t any indication that it would’ve continued long had you been trading that live. Am I making sense?

Okay you pretty much answered my question as I was typing it with you last post. So you can get an idea of the trend by watching the EMA line?

As a matter of fact:

I was just looking at some of my ‘favourite’ pairs i.e. USD/RUB, USD/NOK, USD/RON, EUR/RON, EUR/NOK (you know - the ‘exotics’ - the ‘exotic payers’) and funny enough this ‘new’ method appears to work even better on LOW VOLATILITY pairs. How about that??? This is in complete contrast to the ‘norm’ of forex trading i.e. usually no volatility - no profit.

Dale.