Pips calculatin

if price moved from 147.181 to 144.362.how many pips movement is that?? i am still confused in calculating pip nunbers

This is obviously a Japanese Yen pair.

This is how to work it out. For all the JPY pairs, one pip is represented by the second digit after the decimal point (for other pairs excluding the Yen, it’s the fourth digit after the decimal point).

If - as in your example - there’s also a third digit after the decimal point, that one is “tenths of a pip” or “pipettes”.

So, now you know that, see if you can work out how many pips it is? :slight_smile:

1 Like

And remember to account for spread if applicable

1 Like

Can’t figure out. Can u show the calculation for this pair and other few examples.thanks

I can try.

In your example, you ask how many pips it is from 147.181 down to 144.362.

Ignore the third decimal place (that’s only tenths of a pip, and the third decimal place numbers are almost the same anyway).

So you’re asking how many pips it is from 147.18 down to 144.36.

The second decimal place represents one pip, so from 147.18 down to 147.17 would be one pip, and from 147.18 down to 147.08 would be 10 pips, and so on. You see the idea?

From 147.18 down to 144.36 is therefore 282 pips.

(You can work it out as 14718 - 14436.)

This is because it’s a Yen pair, and for all Yen pairs the second decimal place is 1 pip.

For all other pairs, the fourth decimal place is 1 pip.

So here’s an example for the EUR/USD. The current price as I write this post is 1.1636. If it went up to 1.1639 that would be +3 pips. If it went down to 1.1633 that would be -3 pips.

Does that help?

1 Like

All those numbers can be confusing at first.

To make it easy, just think of it as 7.181 - 4.362 = 2.819. You can forget about the 1 and the 4 at the begining of both prices in this case.

Just remember like Charlie said that on the Yen, the 1st digit is 2 places to the right of the decimal.

Price is down 282 pips. Add the spread and multiply by lot size to figure out loss.

If price was up 282, you would subtract the spread and multiply by lot size to figure out gain