Pips of GLORY - Smart Money Trading

too big to attach so here are some download links to my PDFs
you may already have them.

this one is 'Master the Markets’
mtmv3.zip

This one is 'Undelcared secrets that drive the stock market’
TW.zip

Thanks for the pdfs TalonD,
i had already read those books, basically the same.

Though interesting i didn’t find practical advise on how to use what is explained there, anyway i guess either of them is a good introduction to the VSA concept.

Regards.

Thanks for the links Sweet Pip,
specially that mql4 code, as i was precisely wondering how could i apply in a practical way those ideas behind VSA.

I liked your other recommendation, “The Secret Science of Price and Volume” by Timothy Ord, and i’ve found he is correct most of the time when you find his conditions are met in the market both for “Ord-Volume” and for volume comparison at swings.

Hope i can contribute here with something if i eventually reach any “epiphany” :stuck_out_tongue:

Best regards.

Hi JimboF!

I understand what you say, but once you put the concepts of the book in your charts it all starts to make sense, and actually is pretty easy.

IMO the book is specific, but you’ll never find actual numbers because the measure of VSA is relative to past price performance.

Right now I don’t have a chart to show you, but basically, you have to look for support/resistance areas with high volume.

When you have those factors, along with some other confluences that you like, you’re in front of a phase where smart money is either selling or buying, and that is reflected in the volume/tick activity of the price bar reaching that point.

A good sign of a reversal would be a pin bar with high volume in a support/resistance zone, better if the support/resistance zone is a recent one.

It’s not that hard. Open a 5 min chart so you can see intraday activity and spot a spike with high volume. You’ll find set ups like this everyday and you’re guaranteed that your trades are going to be relatively quick and with good chances of a great bunch of pips.

I also recommend you to visit autochartist.com and look for the hours of more activity for the pair you’re trading. With that information you’ll be looking only to trade in hours when smart money is actually trading your preferred pair.

That information will synchronize with high volume and make thing clearer to you.

Hope that helps.

Here’s yet another really good resource on VSA

Stock Market Synergy (Volume & Market Psychology) - InformedTrades

Again it’s saying the same thing as the others, but each in their own way perhaps clarifies any confusing material found in another.

I have another indicator with respect to trend clusters which I made and will share later today after I get home from work.

:slight_smile:

Here is a quick little indicator I made. I referred to it as trend clusters, but it’s not using trending lines…it’s using horizontal lines.

The lines are based on the ZigZag indicator to get the swing highs & lows…so you need it in order for the indicator to work. It picks up the swings of each timeframe from the H1 to the Monthly. Each timeframe is a different color & thickness…

Monthly is Green,
Weekly is Lime
Daily is Orange
4Hr is Red &
Hourly is Yellow.

The result is support & resistance clusters or zones. How many lines you get depends on the parameters you input. The lower the numbers, the more lines, the higher the numbers, the less lines, as well as how far back in history you go.

Also the lines won’t show up on a timeframe higher than it’s own, but it will on a lower one meaning an hourly line won’t show up on a 4hr or higher but it will from a minute to the hourly, or a daily won’t show up on a weekly or monthly, but it will from a minute to the daily…etc.

There are times when there are lines that are exactly on top of each other so if you put the mouse over it and the text says MTFLINESD1 but the line is red, that means there is both a daily and a 4Hr line there. All the lines are given the name MTFLINES followed by the timeframe followed by a number that is assigned by mt4.

I have another version of the zigzag written by nen who uses 21,13,34 as his parameters so You’ll just have to play with it until it’s the way you like it, that is if you like it ;).

mtf_S&R_Zones.zip (1.21 KB)

Thanks for your comments Wrtm_19,
probably my main issue is i like precise definitions. I mean, if i read “high volume” i wonder myself “what does that mean?, any value over the average of the last 3 bars? or a 35% increase on volume on the last bar reaching that price?”.

So if i have the feeling Tom Willians is not specific enough is just because i don’t find numbers in his writtings i may use to code into a new indicator or something. I guess i just have to look at it also from a different perspective, and try to find the influence of volume on those set ups i already use on the market (S&R, pivot points, etc).

Probably i also have preconceived ideas on what to expect from volume and how to use it, and ITOH Tom Willians sounds to me a bit of “conspiracy theory” kind, and i may have some prejudices against that, so i may need to re-read it with a more open mind.

Well i just wanted to say thanks, so sorry for my ramblings :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards.

Thanks againg for your help Sweet Pip,
i guess i have enough “homework” for now, but you can bet i’ll be back soon :smiley:

Best regards.

Jimbo

I see that Babypips has been able to link up a few of their sidekick sites to the forum…namely MT4Pips. I said at the beginning of this thread that I would link up my demo account if they could do that…so now I have.

With our fearless leader seeming to have disappeared for the last few weeks…recovering from a MVA…I kinda sidetracked into VSA while waiting for him to return, and for the markets to stabalize back into form that we had before.

At the moment the SMT seems to have lost its correlation between the EU & GU, so I’ll just use my CCI indicator for divergence instead, as well as attempting to use VSA.

I started a new demo account for this purpose so as to start fresh. I took the first trade tonight with success…pheww…lol…and I think this more public exposure will help bridge the gap to go back to live trading as I already felt the same emotions…perhaps not real money, but pressure none-the-less. :eek:

This chart shows the GU in an up channel. Price was at the top of the channel. Question was “will price break or bounce”. :confused:

I had a few converging resistance lines in that area (the red line was an H1 & H4 swing point), including the PDH…plus a bearish gartley on the H4, and the CCI oscillator showed a bearish divergence.

Looking at Volume showed that it wasn’t greater than the last time it visited this upper channel line. I had a “No Demand” bar (5th bar in from the right)…a sign of weakness that price will go down.

I waited for some kind of confirmation …the next bar was a down bar with higher volume than the no demand bar…good sign), but I also had a yellow horizontal support line that I also wanted to see broken in case price decide to ping pong there in consolidation for awhile…arrrgh. It didn’t and did break down, so I pulled the trigger except price had started moving and I experienced a bit of slippage, and my computer was lagging (caused by a problem with that VSA_Text indicator which I’m currently trying to fix) before the order was accepted.

So I put on a 20 pip s/l…above the last high…and a 19 pip t/p…(I have this preset and price moved after I set it otherwise it was supposed to be 20).

So first trade +19. That’s it for tonight. :slight_smile:

Here’s a couple of excellent videos showing some VSA trades on high volume wide range bars.

High Volume Spike (VSA) Setup Part 1
High Volume Spike (VSA) Setup Part 2

Hi Sweet Pip,

Are you still using your COT index?

Well…lol…it’s been on the back burner for the time being while I absorb more of this VSA stuff. I have been keeping it up to date with the data from the website, just haven’t been focusing on it. I do plan to make more of a conscious effort to check it at the beginning of the week.

Funny you mention it, I did find this earlier today…

Meta COT Project - New Horizons for CFTC Report Analysis in MetaTrader 4 - MQL4 Articles :eek:

to make it into an indicator for MT4 …one day…:wink:

Very long and interesting article :D. Has more useful information than the Market Sentiment book, IMO.

Well the last two days didn’t really offer anything conclusive to me. Even though we had good moves technicals were not good in my radar, at least not for entries…

No need to rush things, and I’m not a fan of NFP days either, but it’s good to watch how market behaves in such days…

Honestly I’m considering this VSA and SMT stuff the ultimate discovery, yeah I’m loving it way too much. I’m having very good entries, and avoiding levels that are not respected.

The downside is, since I’m not focusing just in one particular level, I tend to put alarms at every possible level of support and resistance, and once it’s hit watch for other technicals for confirmation. If that’s not the case then wait for another s/r zone to be reached. It’s time consuming and sometimes I wake up many times along the night, but’s it’s really worth it.

I tended to avoid 5 min charts, because I considered them as pure “noise”, or that’s what we’ve always been said. Well, now I now they tell you a story, and a very valuable one. 5 min charts… . where had you been all this time?

Well, don’t know if we’re looking at the picture from the same perspective, but how were your technicals these last two days Sweet Pip? Did you trade at all?

Have a nice weekend.:slight_smile:

You managed to read that whole article! :eek:… Good for you…I’m saving it for a rainy day…:D. Seriously, I have waaay too much stuff to read, and not enough time.

I made a boo-boo…I traded a couple of non-VSA trades on my VSA demo account, not realizing that it had switched. Previously I had switched over to one of my other demo accounts to try out some experimental entries, and that darn VSA-text indicator caused my MT4 to crash. When I started up again, it had defaulted back to my VSA demo and I didn’t realize it before executing a couple of failed trades. So using VSA I managed to trade back up to almost break even …and the VSA-text indicator is now fixed! :cool:

Yes when I look at a chart now, it’s to find the answer to what phase a market is in…accumulation, distribution, markup & markdown. I find drawing trendlines & channel lines helpful. I made, or rather modified, an indicator called “TrendMeLeaveMe” to alert me when price it at or very near a “named” trendline. Otherwise it’s hard to put an alarm to a trendline cross, unlike a horizontal line cross. Then whenever that alarm goes off, I check for confluences of other S&R lines, VSA, & pivot points to determine if price is more likely to bounce or break.

This weekend I’m away to a social event…back Sunday eve to prepare for next week.

You have a nice weekend too :slight_smile:

Are you still doing the InnerCircleTrader thing?

Well it’s a little hard to do when he’s not around. I have my notes of his posts and all, but I still have some questions that remain unanswered which he said he’d cover in due time. I guess when he’s ready, he’ll get back to us which looks like he’s trying to do.

In the mean time, I’m trying to do/develope my own thing which takes some concepts from his and other related techniques.

So revisiting your question, here’s a screenshot of my Excel worksheet using the data from the CFTC website. The top graph is representative of “Open Interest”, the 2nd graph is Mt4’s weekly GU chart (not updated for the last few weeks), to compare to the first graph, and the third is the net position composite graph. I have all this data but only partly understand what it all means! :eek::smiley:

[B]SweetPip[/B]:

I’ve been reading and following your journal/thread, and I am very pleased to see you working the material presented thus far. Keep at it… :wink:

Hello…:slight_smile:

I’m looking desperately for a modified version of Trendmeleaveme doing exactly what you described my friend.

Is it possible to share it with us??

Regards
Panos

Sure no prob…
I removed the code that creates pending orders. Now it just contains code to generate the dashed lines to show the zone where the alerts will start…a prewarning alert that price is approaching the trendline. Therefore I also changed the name of the lines…now they will just be either “upperline” or “lowerline”.

TrendLineCrossAlert.zip (969 Bytes)