Poll - and defend your answer if you'd like

I am sure most of us have heard this before and have our own opinions - but what about facts?

If a tree in a forest falls crashing to the ground - and there is no one or nothing there to hear it, does it make a noise?

what do you think / why?

[QUOTE=“I AM SAMM;529629”]I am sure most of us have heard this before and have our own opinions - but what about facts?

If a tree in a forest falls crashing to the ground - and there is no one or nothing there to hear it, does it make a noise?

what do you think / why?[/QUOTE]

How do you know it fell…?

It does. No matter if there is no one listening, it still creates vibrating waves trough the air wich fits into the definition of sound.

[QUOTE=“Mr Gone;529648”]It does. No matter if there is no one listening, it still creates vibrating waves trough the air wich fits into the definition of sound.[/QUOTE]

Not if its in a vacuum…

Vibrating waves through the air, in and of themselves, are just vibrating waves through the air. Waves oscillating within the interpretable range of hearing, however, are sound – but only if there is someone or something to actually hear it. Otherwise, what you have are waves within the range of hearing oscillating without making a sound because…

there is no one there to hear it.

You did not read the quiestion right?? A forest in the vacum, sure, bravo!!!

[QUOTE=“Mr Gone;531798”]

You did not read the quiestion right?? A forest in the vacum, sure, bravo!!![/QUOTE]

How do you know there isn’t a vacuum if no one is there?

If my wife has anything to say about it then there is a vacuum and I had better be using it every Saturday morning.

Well said.