Prefer Old Website

Hi I still prefer the old website, maybe because of easy navigation and also I can mark the lesson I have finish reading.

Thanks for the feedback. What about the navigation on the old site did you like? Was this related to the School of Pipsology navigation?

Also, School progress tracking is returning to the School very soon!

1 Like

Hello @frankensttein, thanks for sharing your feedback and being a member of the BabyPips.com community. The website is a work-in-progress (just like my diet). We’re currently making some improvements to the School of Pipsology including remembering which lessons you’ve already read. Stay tuned. :+1:

1 Like

Hi thanks for responding!

You are welcome! Yeah I prefer the old side navigation however we all need to change for time to time for improvement.

May I suggest one little improvement possible.

Notice the little clock on the top right of each post. it also returns the time backwards in either days or mins.

On the index page this tool has more importance, it can guide the user to the last post - most web users look for the most up to date info - that’s usually their first priority.

The tool tip (mouse hover) could be used to inform “go to last post” or go to latest post etc, currently the tool tip is merely echoing the info on the little clock.

The little clock gives the impression that it is there for information only, there is no sense that it can take you to the last post or that it is even clickable until the user hovers.

Rule no. 1. when creating a web site - make it intuitive.

Apologies if sounds preachy.

The transition to the new site has been a challenge and has taken some time to get used to.

The new site is starting to grow on me however.

Thanks for the great feedback. I think this is where Discourse is trying to make a distinction in “last post”. Is the user looking for the most recent post, as you suggest, or is the user looking for the most recent post that he/she hasn’t read? Once you start reading a thread/topic, Discourse tracks the posts you’ve read and can return to the very last post that you read once you return. Clicking the last post time (for example, 12h) from the Forums homepage, alternatively, will take you to the very last post made 12 hours ago, regardless of your prior reading history. What’s the best course here? Last post in the topic or the last post in the topic that you’ve read?

I think the answer is, “it depends”. As a brand new user, it usually makes sense to go through an entire thread, start to finish. For existing users, users that were here before the switch over to Discourse, it probably doesn’t make much sense to start at the beginning, as they’ve read much of existing threads they follow. So the last post might make the most sense. But this is also where the Unread listing on the Forums homepage comes in. Instead of needed to search out the last post of a thread you’re interested in, simply click on Unread to get a listing of all of the topics/threads that you are watching/following/have contributed to (read more about Notifications under the Preferences section).

One thing to remember, Discourse doesn’t know what’s been read while we were on vBulletin, so it will have to learn your reading habits from scratch. You are a new user in the eyes of Discourse. However, once you create or visit a topic/thread, regardless of whether you contribute to it or not, or change your notification levels, Discourse will remember where you left off.

Hopefully that sheds some more light on “last post” discussion. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Often I divide users into two categories, first up is the regular.

He is familiar with past content and is interested in info since he last visited.

Then of course the new guys, it’s that little more difficult to attract their attention and to keep them interested.

The attention grabber would be the headline, the most recent content then would be the next place they would look - there is the point at which it’s got to be easy to find that content, most sites only have a few seconds at this point.

If they like the content then the next port of call would be the beginning of the conversation.

For the new guy these 3 actions have to be intuitive, navigation must be easy, almost hand-held, see the headline, see the latest content, see the beginning.

Get the new user to do those 3 things and there is an increased chance that he will return, it’s when this happens that discourse has it’s advantage.

I also prefer the old website the layout on this one is too serious and I don’t think I would have completed the school of pipsology in this format.