Price action is the best

While I’m rather new to all this, lately I’ve found for short term low profit trades that price action is almost always gone pay out if your not greedy.

I was attempting a strategy of macd cross over, stochastic rsi cross and direction and ichimoku cloud cross over. Which seems to work over weeks real good when back tested but for day trading it is hit and miss.

So I just started looking at the price direction and momentum. And trade in that direction. But as soon as it slows or something makes me feel like I’m gonna go negative I close. Meh. Sometimes it’s only a dollar profit (trading 0.1 contract) but it’s a profit. Lol better than loss. And i am trying to get trailing stoploss to work better.

Well its a start. Inevitably you’re going to want to start making bigger money. That’s when it gets interesting.

2 Likes

Good going and good luck.

1 Like

Yeah a start. I’ve still got a lot to learn. My next task in learning is to better position my entry, SL and TP. Although I think I’ll probably try work toward trailing stop loss rather than TP. Either way.

Assuming you already have a consistently profitable strategy, these are the best ways to limit your profits in trading -
close winning trades at the end of the day
trail your SL
set a SL too close to entry or current price
set a TP to get you out of a winning trade.

1 Like

I don’t agree with your SL philosophy, you are going to be stopped a lot prematurely. SL must make logical sense.

Very long experience has taught me, also, that an automated trailing stop is a bad and counterproductive idea, even though superficially it looks attractive and sensible.

1 Like

Opinion is but your own. But I fail to see how a trailing stop loss is not logical. Seems rather logical to me to minimise loss and retain profit.

Also keep in mind the trailing stop loss only comes into play once a profit is on action. That way I can’t lose once in the profit zone. But hey it’s working short term. Give me a month or two and prehaps I’ll see a different light. Or may have found the light brighter than at first. :slight_smile:

A trailing stop gets you out of a position regardless of the TA or other analysis. So its effectively a random exit rule. Random exits mean random profits.

1 Like

[quote=“Aidobeast, post:8, topic:141860”]
Opinion is but your own. But I fail to see how a trailing stop loss is not logical. Seems rather logical to me to minimise loss and retain profit. [/quote]

The key word in Lukas’ post, I think, is “automated”:

The main principle with any stoploss should be that it closes the trade if price reaches a point that negates the reasons for being in the trade any more. E.g. drops below a previous low swing, etc.

There is nothing wrong with reviewing the stop level as your trade progresses but automating a trailing stop is not necessarily the best way of doing this. Automated trailing stops can be dynamic and move up (or down) pip for pip as your trade reaches new highs (or lows) in the direction of your trade. Another method is to step the trailing stop so that it only moves every time an additional, say, 10 pips is achieved. Either way, these can cause problems.

We all know that prices do not move smoothly and can spike quite considerable distances - and then return back to the same level. Such spikes then cause an automated stoploss to jump by the same amount, but without the return. Therefore your stop is now much closer to the actual price than was originallly intended and no longer at a logical position - which makes it now vulnerable to being triggered by “mistake”.

In order to avoid the above problem, one has to start with wider stops. But this, in turn, creates the problem that too much of the profit achieved during the time the trade is open is given back before the stop is triggered - which can decrease the optimal performance of your method.

A more logical way to trail stops is manually. I.e. whenever a new key level appears during the trade development or by locking in a profit or breakeven once a certain profit level is reached. In this scenario, you are maintaining a logical reasoning for your stop level.

[quote=“Aidobeast, post:8, topic:141860”]
Also keep in mind the trailing stop loss only comes into play once a profit is on action. That way I can’t lose once in the profit zone. [/quote]
On the face of it, this seems a reasonable conclusion on a trade-by-trade basis, but it can be a deceptive conclusion in the long run. It is the same philosophy as “you never go broke by taking a profit”. This is not actually true - in fact over time it can be very damaging, if not even financially fatal.

The point is that the key factor in trading consistently is both risk and money management. Your net profitability relies on your overall profits exceeding your overall losses. Therefore one’s trading method should include some kind of overall R:R to reflect this need. But therein lies the risk: Anything that reduces the overall profit input to this equation, without a corresponding reduction in losses, damages this overall profit/loss ratio - and somewhat covertly, too.

This is the risk with trailing stops, even though they may still close out a trade with a profit, if they reduce the potential profit level that would otherwise accrue.

There is no “right” or “wrong” here, It is purely an issue of how to optimise the overall profit v. loss. If automated stoplosses improve the overall profitability then it is good, otherwise…

4 Likes

I hope you’ll change your mind about it (like the other traders I know, who have become successful) when you gain experience.

Yes, definitely.

I think the point you’re missing is that in practice there are many other ways to do this, that do it better than an automated trailing stop can do it.

It may help you to have a little think about why so many experienced traders here are telling you the same thing.

Either there’s perhaps something here for you to learn, as your experience grows, or “we’re just all wrong”. I wonder which is more likely.

2 Likes

Yes moving stop losses upward can be a problem.

I was in GBPUSD trade a few days ago (20 March) and it shot up by around 80 pips and started to retrace. I quickly moved SL to lock in profit, expecting a complete return to re-test my entry and got stopped out with about 60 pips profit. Watched it “consolidate” for some hours and then it sauntered off up again by 100 plus to take out my original TP and leaving me sitting chuntering !

Another good trade soured somewhat by my fiddling about with it !

So for ME - with defined targets etc, closing trades when they are running has to be a BAD thing. (And next time, when I don’t close out, it WIll retrace of course and give me a chance to get back in - if I’d stopped out ! - lol “Greatest game in the World !” )

For someone using indicators or similar to enter trades, a trailing stop may work well enough, but I would say as others have, that moving it up in steps to a logical position manually is probably more - well - er - "Logical " :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i am very newcomer in Forex trading . and i know very few about price action. this trading policy can be comfortable for new Fx trader ?

Yes price action is good if you know how to use it. But others may not find it that much useful. Everyone has different understanding and psychology. What works for me, may not work for you. There are lot of strategies traders are using. What works for you is the best for you. By the way personally I like price action.

1 Like

Probably a good start would be to open a demo account or two/three with brokers and experiment with different styles/strategies.

I agree, price action and candlestick patterns are the best.

1 Like

So these trades are all based on price action off a daily chart. No indicators or anything. I will post tomorrow how this pans out lol.

So I had one position close at around $45 loss. 3 right 3 wrong. But still in profit.

i tried it sir before. and i realized trade in demo with several brokers at the same time how much difficult above all for the beginners level.

I think little by little profit if we can do consistently it could become big profit eventually, trading with price action is simple but also may profitable if we cam manage our money wisely with keep discipline with rules money management, using smallest lot size and trying use trailing stop or we can modify stop loss on profit if already we can modified order stop loss.