Revive Old English

Hmmm. :thinking: Interesting question! :smiley: Haha. Personally, I think the English language evolved to become more accessible, so more people would learn it and be able to communicate with one another. Maybe reviving Old English (which I think is extremely confusing and difficult :sweat_smile:) could make it more difficult for more people to understand each other? :confused:

1 Like

Dude.

Have you read some of the posts around here??? People cannot string a sentence together in NORMAL English!!! Matter of fact there’s more than a few around here that don’t even understand your question or the topic!!! LOL!!!

2 Likes

That is middle English. In Old English, it would be translated as
" stefn, Thone dulmus andgietleast swelc thaem andfangol "

I agree it is difficult and that some people struggle with Modern English even though it is simplified, but I love Old English and its Germanic roots, that’s why I would like it revived.

2 Likes

Mind you.

That doesn’t look too dissimilar from some posts I’ve seen around here either!!! LOL!!!

1 Like

Your point is well made @dpaterso :sunglasses:

However it also brings up a question - It is a fact that 10% of the population cannot join the armed forces in the USA because their IQ is too low for there to be ANY useful task they can perform.

Some would argue that the opinion of these 10% is just as valid as the opinions of the overlying normal distribution up to and including the considerations of the top 10%. That is the basis of our “Democracy” - and I personally believe any other interpretation would simply be “undemocratic”. Not that I’m happy with such a system and I personally would prefer a system where there was some form of “weighted voting” system. That however in it’s own right brings up all sorts of opportunities for tyranny to arise - similar perhaps to the thought that "It’s all to complicated for the plebs to comprehend - so the real decisions should be left to ‘experts’ " which seems to be the underlying rinciple of the EU with their unelected “Comissioners” and is the basic principle of pretty much ALL forms of Communism as practiced in the world either currently or historically. This is also the position put forward by the Thermaggedonists fo Global warming pseudo-science.

The upshot of this of course is that those putting forward this view only have to get aquiescence fron the bottom half of the IQ spectrum plus a tiny -proportion of those in the top half, to be able to claim a “democratic victory” for their position, however absurd.

And naturally, those who are “confused” by the principle that they should h=think for themselves are way more likely to accept the “just let the experts tell us what to do” and thereby feel free to simply abuse those who want to apply rational thought, logic and scientific method.

Anyway, it is good to see some of the younger members addressing abstract thought and form questions in the way @sprotz has done here.

I do have some doubts that it will “Catch on” however and would be firmly against any form of compulsion, but perhaps more to the point, a question ;

Since we have had an evolving language system from the very earliest, through “Celtic”, “Angle” “Roman” “Saxon” “Viking” “Norman” (not necessarily in that order) and since most of tehm have left us with traceable words in our language, - HOW do we decide which particular “Form” we lock in as “Olde English” ?

1 Like

Well I still think we need to “trim the herd”. Maybe start with that 10% you’re on about. Bear in mind: that 10% are going to procreate!!! LOL!!!

(Matter of fact and based on some of the most recent altercations I’ve had around here: I fear that they have already procreated).

As for Old English:

I used to have more than a passing interest in calligraphy I’ll have you know. Nothing nicer that Old English Text (done by hand that is).

I’ve also been known to be rather pedantic when it’s comes to the correct or incorrect use of the apostrophe. There’s actually entire forum somewhere around on this. Oh here you go:

https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

Also issues with the correct use of “me” and “I”. And how one should refer to The Queen.

Oh. I see the forums were closed in 2015 and for the following reasons (doesn’t this just say it all):

"The Message Board has performed a very useful function for many years, but I feel that the time has come to close it for the following reasons:

● Replies posted by different people have offered a varying picture of the APS which I feel has often been confusing.

● Looking over some of the past entries I have been horrified by the impression of the APS given by some contributors, although many have been very helpful.

● A number of people send their questions direct to me and I am happy to give straightforward answers that comply with APS policy."

I seem to recall actually reading some of those “horrifying” posts. People were being accused of being elitist and all manner of stuff just because they were attempting to ensure the correct use of punctuation!!!

Must say though (and please nobody take offense at this) but some of the absolute worst English I’ve heard spoken is indeed in the UK. “Fing” an all time favorite (“Thing”). Or “fink” (“think”). Long list actually. I’m not saying to speak The Queen’s English. But ■■■■ me!!! LOL!!!

1 Like

State sponsored murder ?

NO !

That way lies Communism, Marxism, Trotskyism, Fascism (Not really that much difference when you look at them)

It is true that Darwinian selection would naturally tend to increase the IQ of “the herd”, prior to the current day, but it would also weed out physical defects by way of disabilities and we seem to have decided that is bad, so I can’t see that as a real option.

It seems we are destined to reduce the overall viability of our species, by our insistance on the “progress” we are watching evolve.

However logic should dictate that in the interests of “Identity politics” that the Post-modernist neo-marxists should really be insisting that the 10% shoud form 10% of our Government, Police Commissioners, Local Authorities, NHS and FTSE 100 comapanies. as well as in “Trading”.

INteresting to see that you and I seem to find the apostrophe’s misuse and that the incorect pseudo knowledge surrounding “me” is equally irritating to both you and me ! :wink:

1 Like

Who said anything about the state taking care of this??? I’m happy to oblige personally!!! LOL!!!

And wouldn’t I just love to become involved in an INTELLIGENT debate on the merits of Communism, Marxism, Trotskyism, and Fascism!!! LOL!!! But I curb my enthusiasm.

Now isn’t that just the truth.

Who is “we”??? LOL!!!

Yip. And this too has done my head in for years. Not to mention the spell check here which forces US English (unless you’re prepared to live with the red lines). iPad too. Sadly though: eventually you just accept the suggestions made as it’s just become too easy to do so. But all of this technology is somehow deemed progress and an improvement. Seems to me that there’s a myriad of social evils that have arisen as a direct result. Not to mention this herd mentality that seems to have caught on in a big way recently.

1 Like

the iq tests are meassured in statistics, not in math. the standard west world median with a std.dev. of 15 is 100. this takes into account every person in the west in the median of a std.dev. of 15.

that means, that you can not make conclutions out of this formular if people 30 years ago were smarter or better, because their median was 100 as well in their time. the iq test do not and can not compare generations iq.

todays median, including the youth starding from 18 years, is 100. those 100 account for the youth having an average os 121 and elder people an average around 90.

if we would compare generations iq results, then the people born before 1970 would fair well below 90 (less than 85 and you are not permitted to US army), while the younger generations, born 1985 and later (18-35) fare in an average of 120+

so your claim that darwinian theory would support an increse in iq over time, is correct. your claim that it does not, is not correct.

if we take your thiught process of implementing iq borders to voting, a bit further, then also people of older age should (by your logic) not be allowed to vote in a democracy.

1 Like

I was wondering how long it would be before you showed up!!! LOL!!!

I don’t need a formula. Shall I direct you to some recent threads around here??? LOL!!!

of course i show up. thst dude managed to transdorm a threat which was about old english into a thread about communis, european union, brexit and global warming. within one post.

if i hadndt shown up here, next week weed seen posts about aliens, a new unrevealed human species living under our soil 10km deep, bigfood, the yeti and green frogs living on the moon and nasa doesnt know cause they anyways never were on the moon.

its like a broken vinylrecord which constantly jumps the same line for years and years.

btw. about communist, not elected people and such things. i cant remember theresa may elected by voters before she was prime minister, i also cant remember bumbum boris elected by voters. i must have missed those 2 elections.

2 Likes

You know what I’d love to happen one day:

We three go have a beer together somewhere someday!!! LOL!!!

1 Like

yes honestly, me too. but ill stay quiet i promise.

1 Like

Nah. That’ll spoil the fun.

(Oh and I’ll buy the popcorn).

Yes he has taken to following me around with a couple of slightly less committed gang members - to fulfil what he sees as his “civic duty” to RESCUE (Drama triangle) those (he considers to be) of lesser intellect than he from being influenced into “Bad thinking” by objective truth, logical deduction, rational argument and scientific method. These being the main enemies of the committed post-modernists.

So they attempt to use Ridicule, “My opinion is better than your factual truth and deduction”, personal attacks and schoolyard bullying. The twin objectives being to silence those of whom he is jealous and to pump his Adrenalin addiction.

Sometimes I reflect on how sad it must be to live in the fairy-tale world they do, where reality is of no relevance except as something to deny.

However I did not make him that way, so I have no obligation to try to cure him.

It is a well-known fact that “Random rewards” is the most effective way of conditioning someone and the fact that I randomly choose whether to put him in his place or just let him waste his breath, I find rather amusing in conditioning him.

Your invitation to “have a drink” is interesting :sunglasses:

His acceptance response ;

Indicates that subconsciously he is well aware that what he bravely “says” on the Interweb is far removed from anything he would dare to say “Face to face” :rofl:

In honesty my guess is that if we were to “take him for a few jars” at say 6 pm - we’d be carrying him home by 8:30 :wink:

However in passing, I require to see his evidence for this clearly falacious statement, presented as though it were objective truth ;

OK Now PROVE Your ageist assertion !

[edit for spellings]

1 Like

The two of you crack me up sometimes.

Sure is going to be nice evening when it happens!!! LOL!!!

Oh and can we try to keep things friendly here lest we all have to go deleting posts en masse again!!! LOL!!!

1 Like

Wow I wouldn’t understand a single word. Is this something you’re currently fluent in or are actively practicing?

Fink and fing sound like two words my 3 year old nieces and nephews would use. :joy:

No, I’m not fluent, I’ve only began learning. But I will have a hard time finding someone to speak it with.

Yeah. I think you’ll be able to find those in universities maybe.