Risk percentage?

How much do you risk per trade?

I stick to 1% of my available margin. And the most trades I’ve had open is 4 I think. Trading demo. Some people go here as high as 5% per trade, or a daily/weekly limit. I think there’s no perfect answer. What is your risk tolerance. As a beginner, I’d stay in the 1-2% range.

1 Like

Hmmm. :thinking: I try to stick to my 1:3 risk to reward ration. :confused: I find it simpler to measure this in pips though.

1 Like

I am at 2%per trade and I would not reduce this. With a better ROI I would push it up higher. I should be able to get a better ROI through pyramiding but that will have to be after the forex market as a whole starts trending more reliably again.

Since I am still in my Demo, I am managing 5% risk on my trades, but I am pretty sure I would chop it down to 2% max when doing live trading.

All in, all of the time, haha!

Jokes aside, I risk 5% as well

As a new trader I had my risk capped at 1/8th of 1%. This so I would not blow my account while I was learning. Now I risk as high as 3% to 4% per trade if I’m confident that price will do my bidding. I cap my maximum account risk to 6%.

What’s the most you’ve risked total at any one time? I mean, would you keep opening new positions if they fit your system?

Why not do on demo what you would do on live?

Yes!!! And then… no. Ha!

I will suggest just taking risk of up to 1% in live trading. as much you take risk you loss can be exceed if you not properly manage trades . taking risk seems fantastic if you get profit , if we are in loss this will be a big danger. So always do trading in between the lines where you are not fully insecure.

2% is my risk per trade

What risk/reward level do you use?

I have opened multiple positions on the same market but usually I wait for the first one to reach break-even before opening the second, then trail the stop for the first one. But I have done this up to 6 times on a market so that I had 7 trades open at once: the key is that you have to disregard the loss of unrealised profit when all 7 positions stop advancing and retreat all at the same time - just focus on avoiding loss from the account capital.

Right now in forex I don’t find the markets trending sufficiently strongly to be doing this.

1 Like

from 1 to max 5%, per trade, depending on the setup, targeting atleast twice the risk, trying to move stop at breakeven and make it a risk free trade as soon as possible, maybe put something in the bank and let a portion run.

I want to but you know when the real mullah is not involved, you take it a bit easy.

Nowadays’; 1.5% (average) & 2% is my maximum number! I basically set the risk percentage based on the trade quality!

I like that idea. Will try to add that to my trading. Thanks!

Oh yea, that would be stressful I think. But it’s a mind game. Part of doing business.

Yea I get that, but isn’t the point of demo to get as close to real trading as possible? At least my risk and position sizing is at least what I would do on demo. Psychology will definitely be different with real money on the line.

I think you’re shooting yourself in the foot doing it differently, don’t you think?

there is any profitable news trader? i need a profitable news trader to bring some good suggestion.

the max i can risk is 4%. this is is also dependent on the on the risk to reward ratio of that particular trade.

I totally get your point. And yeah, I should start controlling it.

1 Like