Risk Reward Help

This is bang on the money, most prospective r:r ratios people quote for their strategies are made up, with only a hope and a prayer as evidence.

It sure is. It is a shame some of the Senior members don’t take the time to explain that to the guys here.

Here is a live example…

So you can see I am Long on GJ. The Green line is my TP and the SL is represented with a close at or below the red line. So there you can see my R:R (expected) is about the same 1:1 but the Real R:R will not be determined until either the TP or SL is hit. That is by far one of the most important stats which I follow.

The picture above shows the “REAL R:R” highlighted in red. Clearly you can see the trader risked (drawdown in pips) more than he profited. which is why his ratio is 1: fraction. You will see many of these “Gurus” hide these stats because it will reveal how weak their system actually is. If you simply want to see how good a trader is, ask him/her to share his/her stats and break down each trade.
Many people simply look at “profit/loss” and crowns a person a good trader off of those merits, when the reality is bad traders win, while good traders lose but the stats won’t hide the type of trader you are.