School of Pipsology Progression (GRADUATED šŸŽ“)

@dushimes

I like that perspective. Itā€™s incredible the way one can derive motivation and eventually reach discipline through.

At the end of the day it seems that you have to build your own way to discipline both in trading and in life.

1 Like

The grind begins to become fun at this point.

295 Lessons deep and starting undergraduate senior I find myself obsessed :sweat_smile:

The good kind though, hopefully.

Recently Iā€™ve covered trading plans and the works. Creating your own system, the rules applying, and journaling. Iā€™ve begun structuring my very own plan and I have already revised it a dozen times and I expect to revise it many, many, many times more. Iā€™ve been using Google Doc to make it and plan to have it available to read to myself every time I turn my PC on.

I find myself struggling to figure out how to entirely build a system though. I believe I have finally reached a point in my journey where I can no longer spend my time simply reading and note taking. The age of back testing and running primitive plans through market data to figure out what works best for myself has arrived. I can hardly contain my excitement for this step.

My starting plan will follow myself running bare minimum strategies and systems that will more than likely absolutely crash and burn :fire:

But this is my idea. If I can figure out the ways to fail, then I must eventually find a way to be successful.

This of course does not include every way as Iā€™m sure that is, well infinite. But, by beginning to understand, see, and test for myself WHY systems fail I set myself on a path to discover WHY systems work. And that information itself will be priceless upon its discovery.

At the end of the day Iā€™ll be working as smart as I can to keep it simple. I myself am a minimalist. I find things get to busy and cluttered with a screen that looks like I just dropped a mega pack of skittles :laughing:

Well, less talking and more doing Tony.

Cheers dudes :beers: See you at the top.

3 Likes

Looks like youā€™re in a good place. Iā€™m only a few steps ahead of you. I reached a similar point where I was obsessed and excited to put all this knowledge to the test. That obsession and excitement for learning and experimenting will take you far and get you through the struggles.

Itā€™s only through experience that comes with a lot of mistakes and failure that we can improve as traders. When I got closer to the end of the School of Pipsology, I realized it will take years to get good with trading.

Itā€™s great that youā€™ve gotten a sense of what it will take to make it in this business. It is an endless process of discovery because the market is always changing. A lot of people who try trading never get this understanding of what it takes and end up quitting.

Cheers! :beers:

4 Likes

A lot of feelings around my current progress.

Iā€™ve found myself this past week quite the number of times thinking Iā€™ve spent hours accomplishing absolutely nothing. Wondering if I even grasp concepts well enough to be attempting what Iā€™m doing.

It hasnā€™t all been for not though. Iā€™m dragging myself towards success. Itā€™s odd. After failing so many times this week in so many different approaches; realizing that this is just the beginning and Iā€™ll be failing even more, excites me :laughing:

Well yaā€™know I plan on just absolutely breaking everything till I can put it back together perfectly.

Covered some basic topics more in depth this week such as position sizing and elements of risk management.

Iā€™m hoping to be able to figure out this back testing more than I do now to keep a good record of all the strategies and formulas I run through it. This is all just a numbers game.

Cheers :beers: :beers:

3 Likes

I still feel the same way. I feel like Iā€™ve spent all this time studying, and I havenā€™t really learned anything.

But thatā€™s actually a good place to be. Itā€™s the second stage out of the 4 Stages of Competence.

1st Stage: Unconscious Incompetence (Ignorance)
ā€œHow hard can it be? Itā€™ll be fine.ā€

2nd Stage: Conscious Incompetence (Awareness)
ā€œCrikey! I have no idea what Iā€™m doing. I better get learning.ā€

3rd Stage: Conscious Competence (Learning)
ā€œWow, I actually know what Iā€™m doing.ā€

4th Stage: Unconscious Competence (Mastery)
ā€œI donā€™t know, I just do it.ā€

Thatā€™s from this article:
Four Stages of Competence: How We Learn Every New Skill (themindcollection.com)

Youā€™re already ahead of me because youā€™re already trading. Iā€™m happy to see youā€™re making good progress.

It will take time and experience before we can make trades that always win while being blindfolded with our hands tied behind our backs.

3 Likes

Youā€™ve really come far with this. Congrats.

You sound like youā€™ve started trying your hands on charts.

Failing is inevitably necessary for success. You I cringe each time I recall that Thomas Edison failed with the light bulb over 1000 times.:grimacing:

What the heck was he thinking not to have given up at the 100th failed attempt.:joy:

Well, I believe he saw something no one else saw.

Hence your vision is the only thing that can make your present failures look like stepping stones to your future success.

Wow, look what we have here, this smartypants just dropped a quote.:nerd_face:

See at the top, cheersšŸ„‚

3 Likes

Just as success doesnā€™t come overnight, same way mastery doesnā€™t.

At the beginning, I was really trying to absorb all I read. I wanted to know every word, definitions, calculations, that crossed my sight.

It dawned on me that no matter how long I spent on a topic, that wonā€™t cause me to know it well enough not to have to revisit it if the need arises later.

Besides, where the real knowledge of trading lies is in the experience of the market (not saying the theory isnā€™t important).

The main teacher is the market, and the successful traders out there who have attained the mastery level, are good students of the market.

Weā€™ll always return to the books to interpret what the market teaches, and with this, mastery cannot be far off.

It only takes time.

3 Likes

@playwiththegods

2nd Stage baby thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about!

You put progression that way and it makes the road markers on your journey a bit easier to see my friend, thank you.

@MatthaelFx

Yeah charting is rough man. I cannot wait till Iā€™m able to look at one and understand to the fullest extent of my ability what Iā€™m seeing and itā€™s interpretations.

Hence why Iā€™ve begun to move aggressively into charting. Like you said, the most understanding you can derive is from the real experience.

Cheers dudes :beers:

3 Likes

Twenty-three lessons left.

This progression has been daunting. The change in my mindset through this course has been unreal. The number of times Iā€™ve bounced between different ideas, markets, and securities ever changing my perspective on what exactly would give me the best shot at becoming a successful trader over the past months has been enlightening.

I say this because I now truly have an understanding of what it takes.

We can throw indicators at the screen, do all the fundamental research, stare at the charts, pay for as many ā€œwinning strategiesā€ until our pockets run dry, and conquer the emotions inside of us.

Truly, what I have learned through my obsessive dive into the Forex market and those like it so far is as follows.

The truly successful traders who are able to withstand the chaos throughout the ages are scientists. To be more specific, market scientists. These are people who leave nothing on their end to chance. Weā€™ve all heard about the institutional traders, the firms, the large corporations, and the banks. Weā€™re told over and over that weā€™re competing with those who have PHDā€™s and are mathematicians. So, is that not our answer there? Weā€™re constantly looking for ways to outsmart geniuses without becoming genius.

Developing a truly successful edge for however long it takes requires one to literally become a market scientist. Yes, could one be a discretionary trader and reap rewards through incredible skill? Of course. Could that same discretionary trader survive throughout the ages? No.

The markets are ever changing and no amount of this ā€œunderstandingā€ could make someone profitable over the long period.

A market scientist who has developed a profitable edge through very careful and methodical statistical testing and scientific processes will always come out on top. This does not discount risk management and any other factor that plays into a trader being successful. These people have literally taken everything into account and do not leave one little detail for misinterpretation. Everything is defined. Everything has parameters. Everything is a ratio. And they always make sure theyā€™re winning.

This is what Iā€™ve decided to be. Leave nothing on my end to chance. Record everything. Run every minute detail through the gauntlet of study.

This does not mean I shall always win. But it sure well means Iā€™ll never be out of the game.

Iā€™ve enjoyed the School of Pipsology so far! Never thought it would set me on the path I am now.

"Stop looking for certainty, stop worrying about luck and designing something that will prove to be infinitely viable. Become a market scientist, create a viable market theory, play it out until it stops working (hopefully, if it is exceedingly robust, you will be dead long before that happens), and then have a feedback mechanism ready so that you can roll with the punches, make your adjustments, and continue moving forward." - Chris

Cheers to success :beers:

2 Likes

Iā€™m amazed to see the progress youā€™ve made and the realizations youā€™ve had so far. Itā€™s amazing that Iā€™ve come up with conclusions that are similar to what you wrote about here.

Itā€™s almost like Iā€™m reading my own journal when I read your post, but you articulated it much better than I could. Great minds . . . :laughing:

Who is Chris? I love that quote. Itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve seen someone talk about being a market scientist that way.

Cheers to success :beers:

1 Like

Great minds indeed we shall see :laughing:

Iā€™ve been very lucky in my dive of research to stumble upon incredible wisdom. Regarding what my post was more over about came from a dive into forex factory. This is what I stumbled upon and the whole discussion. Post #12 was what caught my eye.

Trading forex profitable is impossible! | Forex Factory

Itā€™s small moments like this. The single voice of wisdom in a sea of noise. These are the diamonds in the rough I hope to continue finding throughout my journey.

Cheers man thanks!

Thanks for sharing that post by Chris. :exploding_head: It is a diamond in the rough that confirms the direction Iā€™m going in. He describes exactly the way I want to be able to trade.

1 Like

• October 15 2023

One hundred and four days ago I stumbled upon Forex through BabyPips. I had absolutely no market experience. I had never seen a chart. I had never heard of any sort of analysis.

Iā€™ve only been alive for twenty-one years. Honestly cannot say Iā€™ve really taken after anything in life until now. Spent most of my time just lackadaisically moving through the motions. But something really clicked with Forex. Before understanding anything, I could feel it. I just felt it.

Here we are, one hundred and four days later, and this path Iā€™ve set myself upon seems insurmountable at times.

But just like at the beginning, I feel it. Like a horror movie I find myself pulled to keep watching; peering through the cracks of my fingers waiting for the bars upon the screen to unfold.

There is no stopping now. Like a young childā€™s wax paper boat set on the stormy waves of the curbside Iā€™ve begun to weather the waves of concepts and fundamentals placed before myself with no end of this streetside in sight.

In the words of BabyPips, I am a noob.

But now, a noob with a goal.

This course has not provided me with a map to profitability. It provided me with the necessary tools to make that map.

The Beginning.

And what a beginning it was.

I look forward to developing my working strategies and plunge myself into the liquidity of the markets.

Also, to the friends I make and people I meet along the way.

Thank you all for the support, truly.

This course has enlightened me far beyond just trading.

With the School of Pipsology behind me, here I go.

So, cheers to success :beers: :beers:

Iā€™ll see you at the top.

2 Likes

Welcome to the world of forex trading, noob! :rofl:

You really earned that green hat icon on your profile pic. Congratulations! I admire how hard you worked to complete the course while doing the hard work as a journeyman. Great job. You helped me to stay motivated.

Youā€™re lucky that you found Forex and it clicked with you at this stage in your life. Many people never find that special something that clicks for them until itā€™s too late.

Iā€™m grateful to be a noob going on this trading journey with another noob like you who will use the tools you acquired to earn financial freedom.

ā€œIf you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together.ā€

IldƔnach

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing how far we will go.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Your support has been invaluable. Itā€™s a long road but I have no doubt weā€™ll reach our goals!

Having other noobs on this adventure is paramount to the success we strive for. Through all stages weā€™ll keep climbing higher.

Never forget :grin:

• The BabyPips noobs preparing to take on the markets
3 Likes

Ayo!

I have quite the number of plans in progress. For the finish of this thread, Iā€™ll be spending some time showing and talking about some of the details for whatā€™s next.

I plan to create a new thread to track my progress through a demo account.

It would be difficult to create strategies and methods with zero market experience. So, Iā€™ll be diving in headfirst and begin to throw what I got at the market. I plan on making as many stupid mistakes as I can to learn as I go and rough out the edges of what works and what does not.

Iā€™ll also be running a couple forms of journals. One will be here on Babypips. This will contain mostly just bullet points and ideas and thoughts with screenshots of trades. This form will allow me to connect with more experienced traders and keep my progress visible for fellow noobs!

The next form will be a physical journal that will contain mostly just my thoughts, feelings, and experience through the trades. Keeping track of my emotions will require the ability to review and correct whenever necessary.

The third and last will be a statistical journal. This is being running through Google Spreadsheet. This one is difficult. I have spent some serious time gathering inspiration and creating a rough draft of what it will look like and how it will function.

Iā€™ll be posting a PDF of this so please throw me any improvement ideas or questions.

Almost all of the statistical journal is automated. It will just require manual input in the gray bars of each trade to enter in information.

And that is about what I have so far.

Very excited to continue work on this journey.

Thank you!

Statistical Trading Journal - Sheet5.pdf (51.8 KB)

3 Likes

Wow! Your thorough preparations are impressive.

It has been an inspiration seeing your progress in this thread.

Iā€™m excited to see the next chapter in your trading journey.

2 Likes

@RedEyeRishMan Congratulations!!!

You never know, you two may one day start a two-man trading company. Why not?

IldƔnach Trading, Inc.

or

IldƔnach Capital, Inc.

IldƔnach Capital, LLC

That would be so cool!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Through reading your journal and posts Iā€™ve derived insight and inspirations. Youā€™ve been more of a help than you can imagine!

Becoming incorporated has been a goal of mine for a while :eyes:

We shall see where this weird universe takes all of us!

2 Likes

Congrats man!

You made it pass the first race. And I can see you already started the second before the first ended.

Keep going bro.

Cheers to success!:clinking_glasses:

2 Likes