Sellers push prices lower, Buyers push them higher?

Greetings everyone,
I’m new to trading… and as someone who studies Economics, I have to ask, why is it said: “sellers try to push prices lower, while buyers try to push it higher”? (candlesticks’ wick position speaking) I’ve seen numerous videos explaining candlesticks and it was said that when the wick is positioned at the top it means sellers rejecting high prices and being in control, while on the other hand when the wick is positioned on the bottom it is interpreted that buyers are in control. I understood “are in control” as “they be the ones deciding the prices”, that is why it doesn’t make sense for me because every market’s natural cycle is to sell ‘high’ and buy ‘low’, sellers want to profit as much as they can and buyers want to get the best deal by purchasing at a low price. However, this isn’t how I’ve been hearing it. What could I be overlooking here? What is meant by “pushing prices”?

1 Like

Aye - you’ll see this pretty much everywhere, but it’s a half truth.

I’ve posted about this recently so won’t re-hash but think of the market as an auction, the market maker as the auctioneer.

So an economic news item hits, it’s positive price - price jumps (i gave the recent Pres Trump tweet on oil as an example) - the wick wasn’t a ‘rejection’ it was merely a lack of buy orders so the auctioneer had to reduce price to where the buys were.

I f

1 Like

Thanks peterma, i too had been baffled when i saw this data on another site, even queried the originator, but the reply didn’t satisfy me.
Now i get it! Thanks

1 Like

Sometimes those wicks can be stoploss hunting too… from another beginner …truly dog eat dog