(sharing is caring)>>which indicators are you using?

These statements are completely incorrect.

I will explain why in my next post.

[B][U]This is a teaching post.[/U][/B]

Candlesticks and price action are of course, immediate, you can see these things on your chart as the price oscillates back and forth.

So in regard to these…

There is no mathematical manipulation going on here.

[U]What you see is what you get.[/U]

[B]But what are indicators?[/B] :confused:

They are mathematical manipulations of the close (or open or high or low) of every price bar or candle.
These close values of every price bar are processed thro the formula of your choice (the indicator), and a [U]resultant [/U]is obtained.

This [U]resultant [/U]is the value of the indicator.

This resultant can be calculated by hand or by the computer.
The formulas for the modern indicators can be involved and the computer is todays answer for immediate plotting of the resultants.

However…the resultant cannot be calculated until the price bar (or candle) is complete.

Why? :confused:

Because the formula needs the close value from the completed price bar and that close value is not fixed until the next price bar appears.

So you see that the plot of every indicator that has ever been invented will always be one price bar behind.
So it is true, therefore, to say that …

[B]unlike candlesticks/price action, indicators lag price [/B].

As such you are dealing with a time delay when you are dealing with indicators.
Therefore, indicators may not be for everybody - if you want [U]immediate [/U][U]interpretation[/U] then you must go to candlesticks/price action.

In my thread…

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/10812-joy-candlestick-trading-learning-experience.html

on page 18, post #176

[B]I give 12 excellent, compelling, good, distinct, convincing, undeniable reasons why candlesticks are far superior to indicators for trading.[/B]

Finally this excellent hyperlink should really give you reason to think about whether you should be trading with indicators…

Candle Sheds More Light Than The MACD

This was the definitive article that prompted me to switch from indicators to candlesticks.

I have to agree with Tymen here Chubs. Now naked trading is not my cup of tea, but everyone is entitled to their own view and style.

Now I know very little about Rhodytrader, Tess, Jocelyn and JimmyMac or there method of trading (other than a bit of jousting with MP), but I am sure they have alot of good info that could help us newbies.

Lets keep things friendly and fun.

tymen1

I’m really glad that someone like you with such knowledge and exp of forex trading is participating on this form. I’m a newbie still have lot to learn and i started to study indicators (all of them) and i use elimination strategy in my search for the ideal ones for my system. i will study your candlesticks too but when the time comes.

i think it will be for the best to drop the argument with <chups> and move to the point of this thread. if you dont use indicators thats fine. but if you do and posts for us (newbies) some examples of indicators combinations and how to use them that will be of a greater benefit for us than arguing about which method of trading is better!!

if someone can help me with how to insert an indicator from my metatrader language editor to the platform i will be grateful. try’en to do that since yesterday but i think i’m missing something

Hi Malik

As you�re probably finding out, your question about indicators/oscillators in babypips-land is like stepping on a landmine! LOL! I don�t think there�s a simple answer for your question. I�m sure there are as many valid and profitable trading methods as flavors of ice cream. As with both ice cream flavors and trading methods, we all love, have passion, and will fight to death for our favorite. (even to the point of verbally-beating our fellow baby-pippers like a baby seal on the rum-raisin versus cookie-dough issue)

As you said in your original post, �there are hell of number of indicators out there�. Probably as many indicators as ice cream flavors and they all seem to have as many profitable users as Ben & Jerry� has sticky smiles.

So what�s a pip newbie to do? Back to the ice cream analogy, you�ve got to try a bunch of different flavors and slowly you�ll find your favorites! If you had 28 flavors to taste test you might start with just a spoon full of the popular ones, do the same with trading. Pick three or four of the popular methods and experiment with them. Then pick three or four more and keep test-driving different methods until you find something that feels right and is profitable. It will take time, lots of time, maybe even more that you realize. Unfortunately, I don�t think there�s an over-nite fast-easy-track to becoming a good trader. I�ve found that learning how to trade well is a never-ending process and the more I learn, the more I realize I have more to learn. LOL!!!

So my bottom-line advice would be to try as many methods as time allows, read and learn as much as you can, and remember, no �one method� is the �best� they all work in different ways for different people and you need to find your favorite.

Good luck!

PS warning, pistachio traders are nothing but f%&#ing bleeping, lying, sum sucking bottom feeders, don�t listen to them, they know nothing, they�re all nuts

thx d-pip (my newbie brother :p) you are absolutely right. i have tried not less than 20 indicators so far. some of them i will come back to when i finish testing the other (“flavors”) and some i hated and will just delete from my indicators list.

after i finish we might sit together and have an ice cream discussion :slight_smile:

Hi Husky,

I, and some other person here im sure, would like very much the MP setup. Do you think you could post the all the indicators in a clean post in this thread?

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Wow, I feel guilty posting indicators in here now after Tess and Tymen’s lessons, but since this is a thread about indicators I hope this can resume its track.

Sandpiper,
I use Barry’s for the Price Action support and resistance and now use a Shifted Pivot inidicator I found the other day(husky_Pivot_shifted) This allows one to shift the pivot calculation to GMT, which is attractive to me since my broker is at +2GMT. Pevious AutoPivots that I found would base it solely on the servertime. In addition for the prior days data I have yet a third which is called Husky_Daily_Data_Full

I have zipped all of the indicators that I use, along with my template for this chart. You will have to excuse that all of them are pre-pended with Husky_…I do this to make sure that I can easily locate the items I am currently using and to make it easy to zip up and move to another computer, MT4 instance or friend. In most cases these are just indicators that i have found and edited for my own needs, so I make no claim to ownership.

For the mq4 and ex4 files put them in the metatrader install folder under \experts\indicators\

For the Husky_Mp.tpl, put this in the Metatrader install folder emplates folder. This should not be mistaken with the \expert emplates folder…

Once you restart you MT4, you should have the templates and indicators available for use.

One thing, I do not always trade with everything on there, these are the full kit and kaboodles, many times I will just put a few items on the chart and take a look. Sometimes things get so congested that I cannot see everything :slight_smile:

Mycurrentchart.zip (112 KB)

You turn less than 500$ in 150 000$ in about 4 months?

Are you serious?

How???

Yes, I understand what you are saying, and thank you for taking the time to further point out my flaw of ignorance to your preferred method.

Yes, I do understand that indicators display a lag, based on the close of the last candle and the time it takes that information to be fed into a compilation called an indicator which will react accordingly. And I do understand candlestick patterns. To say that candlesticks are not indicators is still a falsehood, as they are a direct reflection of where price has been, a histogram if you will, that creates the chart itself, no? And yes, I am aware that they themselves create patterns that are extremely helpful in determining what the market will do next.

I am interested in learning more, but, I guess my problem here is, you are telling me that these people are pro traders, is that correct?

Good pippin,

Chubs

Many thanks…i got most of em but I appreciate your sharing.

not all arguments have to be heated or insulting. without critics, how does anyone have fuel to learn. I will curb my instinctively defensive nature in the future, but would only ask that people take the time, as Tymen1 seems to be willing to do, to justify themselves with explanations in a teaching and sharing manner that is clear for all to attempt to understand.

In my opinion, arguments show passion. The point here is, though opinions and styles of trading may vary, as do personalities and techniques, if we take the time to help those who would, to understand what we say, there may be less outwardly displayed “passion” in our discussions.

I am actually very sad and have no understanding as to a decision made to ban a particular trader who displayed “passion” for his own successful system and willingness to share it. Especially when, (with no disrespect intended to those who use no indicators), people start openly downgrading his system. So, I will not be posting for a while. Not from protest, but to better understand how a site like babypips, who’s outward intent appears to be to educate, could possibly eliminate a trader for his passions while allowing another trader to return for the same reasons.

Further, if people who seem to be “pro” traders are being allowed to push people around for their passions, perhaps it is time to find another educational site that allows us less than perfect traders to still have a voice.

I’d say good pippin, but I just don’t have the energy behind it anymore, so, piece but unto you.

Chubs

The indicator/no indicator topic is obviously a hot one!

I know that you trade without indicators, but you do use Bollinger bands and STARC.

My point here would be that we all use that which we find to be working tools for us.

As with most other things in life, there is likely no correct answer to the question of trading naked or fully dressed :slight_smile:

Personally I have a fondness for candles, that hasn’t let go of me during my wanderings through many so called systems and teachings. In a way, chubspips is correct that one could view candles as instant indicators.

Maybe the real question, yet to be answered, is: what is the specific definition of an indicator?

A bit off topic maybe.

Best regards

So Bollinger bands and Starc bands are indicators too. :confused: :confused:

Cough Cough, Bullsh…, cough. Ugmmm Ugmmm (Clearing throat).:smiley:

Ohhh… What indicators I use???

The only thing on my chart is a 50 and 200 ema. But, before you jump to conclusions, I am not using them for crossovers or other bs.

Sorry naked traders, I still got my underwear on.:slight_smile:

You bet your pips they are…lol. Anything that is drawn on a chart is an indicator. Some are time representation of price movement (like candles/bars etc), some are squiggly lines or straight lines, and some are objects like text & special characters. I believe a truely naked chart is just a “tick” chart.

You want a list of indicators…check this out…MQL4 Code Base: custom indicators for MT4 :eek:

I can’t help but present my lyrics of a twisted tune version of Arlo Guthries’ song “Alice’s Restaurant” …

[B][I]“And they was using up all kinds of indicators that they had hanging around the trading platform. They was usin’ MACD, bolinger bands, starc bands, & keltner channels, and they drew twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy cartoons with vectors, circles and arrows and a paragraph on each one explaining what each one was to be used for. Took pictures of the entry, the exit, the northwest corner (shorts) the southwest corner (longs) and that’s not to mention it’s supposed to be called the the Joy of “Candlestick” Trading.”[/I][/B] :rolleyes:

I think it would be more accurate for those who claim not to use indicators,… although one of them mentioned [B][I]“I can�t (unfortunately) divulge all my little tricks & party pieces, as some of them are proprietry tools”[/I][/B],… to say that they don’t use very many indicators…as in cluttered vs uncluttered charts. :cool:

So hope you pips can work it all out…I’ve run out of handbags and Delta Dawn I’m not :smiley:

Hey Jimmy, not a cry for help! I haven’t traded anyone elses strategy for a long time, but I agree, they’re pretty decent starting points :wink:

Chubs, ditching indicators wasn’t a flight of fancy, or something I decided to do randomly one day; it was the result of sheer bloody hard work over a year of testing, backtesting, forwardtesting and live trading. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the others had similar experiences… who knows.

And while I don’t claim to earn 90,000% annualised ROI because that would be crazy, I can safely say my account is growing and not shrinking.

Does this mean that indicators are rubbish? Not at all. Do I believe that MP used them successfully? Yes. Will I ever use one again? Maybe, if one proves itself of worth, but right now, no. It’s not a black and white issue, never will be.

And for one, I think it’s sad that MP was banned. I’ve an idea why, but despite his (fairly obvious) exaggerations, he brought a bit of colour round here.

That means tymen1 is also using indicators to trade as BB and bands are indicators. :confused: :confused: