Slingshot system

I’ve been looking at recent trades, and it seems to me the the range between the close and extreme would need to be large enough that many positive trades would not get entered. It doesn’t seem like the majority of losses have anything to do with this range. Last night, for example, EUR/USD had a range of 59 pips between yesterday’s high and close. The price went higher, then did a slingshot down as we would hope. It fell (on my chart) far enough for a 35 pip profit before it turned and went back up.

It’s [B]very[/B] important that you not try to “curve fit” any system. There will be losses, that is a fact and there’s really nothing you can do about it. Rather than try to make the system into some sort of “Holy Grail” we should plan for and accept the losses, be happy with the profit from the wins, and move on. I will modify the EA with the options of Monday trades and 5 decimal places, but I can’t see how modifying it to where one particular loss could be avoided makes it better if 5 winning trades get nullified by the same modification.

I’m still up for suggestions…don’t be put off. One thing I’ve been thinking about is a particular MM that I’ve programed for another system someone was testing. It is not a Martingale, which in my research is far from a good MM style. I may try adding it as another option and see what it does.

Greetings everyone,

Is anyone still enjoying success with such a system?

I would be interested in trading this on the daily charts, but I use Alpari US and I want to test it out manually.

I’m thinking of entering whichever way the indicator directs me, and then leaving it go until the next day, perhaps setting a T/P of 150 pips?

What do you think?

-ForexPhantom-

I am using an Alpari demo account to test the ea starting today. We shall see how the week goes.

I think 150 pips is right in the range of you’ll never reach it and you’re closing too soon. Look at my results on my page and you’ll see days of 200+ and an average of about 97 pips per winning trade. If you want to really take things slow and easy, you could set a TP of 50 and do better on some of the days than I do because of eventual re-traces. Overall though, I’d just leave the EA as it is.

FYI, based on earlier discussion, I added a “no Monday trades” to the EA if anyone’s interested. You can find it here. http://www.brianredmond.net/forex/Slingshot/NoMondaySlingshot.ex4

Hello again,

Which platform do you use?

When will this thing enter the trade? In the mornings at a specific time?

Curious,

-ForexPhantom-

Hello,

Any success? Can you give us an update sometime?

Thanks so much,

-ForexPhantom-

Hallo people,
finally a free hour for getting back and think a bit more about this system. I see that my questions/problems concerning the time zones and the dependency of the performance on them were a little bit left apart.
But I think these are crucial issues.

For instance: none had the time of looking at the little ODL 1M charts…

Well: I managed just now to download MT4 from them and answer myself to the question, but, of course, now market are closed, so I would have to wait till Monday.

I must anyway say that, after googling and googling around I finally found on another blog (that I cannot cite here otherwise administrators get angry… I already made the experience) from a quite reliable guy (and old pal I already know), I found a very nice table reporting server time of different brokers. At least in summertime ODL is sinchronized to GMT, exactely like IBFX. Therefore, depending on wich schemes of DST are in use in the locations of the two brokerage firms, the max difference could have been of 1 hour.

This in my opinion really makes it difficult to explain the differences in yield of the same system run on IBFX and ODL! Bkr: I suppose you were anyway trading, on ODL, from 7:00 to 20:00, right? And, especially if my Monday look at the 1M charts from both platforms confirms that they’re synchronized, well… differences are strange.

One possibility is an inconsistency in the historical data of one of the two platforms (in this case, well IBFX has a quite better cyber-reputation than ODL…).

I continue congratulating with you, Brian, for the very nice results you have, and that I checked again on your site (Phantom, you could also look at them: there is no need for an “update”. I think that Brian is trading on IBFX, at least, he always said that). I am also starting to think that I’ll set up and run the script in “forward testing” on IBFX. This would solve all the questions about timezones and accuracy of historical data series…

The only thing that is a bit worrying to me is the common previous experience with the straddle, Brian, that, as you correctly mentioned, had the “little problem” of performing bad in backtesting, and we all were dismissing this information as irrelevant. And we know how the story ended up after some initial good results in demo…

What I mean is that, for the time being, apart this very strange ODL story, on IBFX we must face the fact that there is the “deep sea of death” in the past. Well, from my other “friendships” here around at BP, I must tell you that really, a good backtesting result for 2008 tells me [B]nothing[/B] for the future, because 2008 was really an [B]uncommon and irreproducible[/B] trading year. And emotional trading together with strong trends made quite a lot of less or more sophisticated trading systems working [B]exceptionally well[/B] during 2008. Systems that, under [B]normal[/B] market conditions are a disaster. I have some friends totalling something like 70-80% [B]real, monthly[/B] profits in summer-fall last year, and then [B]having lost all, I say all[/B] from November to date. And please, hopefully is not coming out now telling that they were not good traders or had no good money management and so… because this is not the point: they were all very experienced people, and with the best possible money management (at least a pure proportional with a limit on the total margin and a limit on a single position… So a quite rational and sophisticated). They were just going on following the apparently fabulous, in reality mediocre (or bad) trading system, with all the rules in place and cold mind (till possible…)

So, who knows whether, for the slingshot, the next (and far) future would look more similar to 2008, or to 2006-2007, when it would have sucked out all your account (a loss of what was? 95%? 98%?). :confused:

That’s life! Thanks in advance for any wise contribution and feedback.

Bye

Fabio

Hallo people,
all on hold here? Brian, I saw your last week updates on your site: I’m sorry that this was not the best week so far. New insights?

Bye

Fabio

Still going strong. If it makes sense, I’m actually glad I’ve had the losses I’ve had. This system was never promoted as a “Holy Grail” and the win/loss ratio so far is exactly what anyone would expect. The important thing is that the average win is about twice the average loss, so even with a 50/50 win/loss ratio, I will come out ahead. It also kind of makes sense that there will be clusters of wins (as at the beginning of the chart) and some clusters of losses like recently. This is due to the trending of the pairs. This system does better out of a strong trend, but when the pair is trending it will not enter many trades so these recent losses should be a typical showing. We’re entering the second quarter of the year, so let’s keep watching and see how things go. I expect to be quite satisfied.

Hi bkr1969

I am wondering about the code for the sl. Overnight a buy was triggered at 07:00 in the EURCHF. The price was 1.5099. At 07:25 the sl was hit at a price of 1.5107. Can you tell me how sl is determined in the code?

The SL is originally set (for a buy) at 1 pip below the daily low at the time of entry. Each time you gain 50 pips, the SL is moved 50 pips higher. In your case (and it’s happened a couple of times to me) the price went high enough to move the SL above your entry price and when the pair started to fall, the SL was hit, but you exited with profit. It’s a type of trailing stop, but only moves 50 pips at a time. You will get stopped out from time to time with only a small profit, but it will also keep you safe (er) from sudden changes in direction that would end up hitting your original SL. You can take out that section of code if you’d prefer.

bkr1969,

I understand that IBFX is going to start quoting at 5th decimal. I assume this will be a problem for the current ea. Am I correct? What will need to be changed to allow trading and s/l?

If/when that happens I will modify the EA as necessary.

gonna try this out. looks like the first system was a dud. but this EA looks to be alright with back testing on JPY crosses because they’re so volatile. and now that this thing is in a daily chart, it does not matter to much about the little bit of a higher sprread that they bring. the only one i didn’t use in the jpy crosses was the USD/JPY. it just lost money thorugh lastyrs backtest. I’m with broco on the investor4 platfor on demo and live 5 digit ECN bridge.

forgot to mention the GBPUSD is good too!

Hallo Brian,

hallo all. Well, also if I do not post so regularly, actually I’m always very interested in this system and in your overall trading wisdom. I was just looking at your web site, Brian, to see how the slingshot is performing. But the last update I found dates back Apr 06.

What’s up? Did you quitted trading it?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Bye

Fabio

I’ve been busy with buying/building a new home. I’ve only made 2 trades since the last one posted; one win, one loss which canceled each other out. I will be trading more over the next few weeks.

Hi all,
Wonder who have successfully using this method, anyone can share the script and explain its function, I new and need to learn simple script

:slight_smile:

Does anyone still trade this system ?

Dear Sir, i want to have the Slingshot EA which will work on all time frames and throughout the day, rather than except for only between 7.00 to 20.00 gmt. Will it be possible for to share it. I m planning to test on higher timeframes only, 8hr and above. I want to backtest for the results first. Hoping to have ur reply. U can reply. Thanks

Hi fellow traders.

I’ve been back testing the slingshot strategy on daily, weekly & monthly bars using forex tester 2. I keep the rules simple stupid, take all losses without a blink & still find it a profitable strategy. On average my losses are around 55 to 60% but the winning percentages are exceeding the loss percentage. This is fine by me as I trade the three time frames on 11 pairs. Early days with the live account but so far looking good.

I have a youtube channel where I have recorded my back testing of some pairs. This can be extremely boring to watch, but worth putting up with as the end results are always profitable.

Im looking to make on average around 20 to 50% a year which doesn’t sound much but is a realistic figure & one which I will be very happy with. Again early days as this may turn out to be not as good as expected. Plenty more back testing to do. So far im 99% confident so have started trading live with just $200 just to get a feel for trading this strategy. Again this has been backed up with recorded video’s trading different pairs over many months to years depending on time frames.

If anyone is still interested in this strategy then message me or check out my vids on youtube of the results so far. It will be worth it one way or another :slight_smile:

Youtube name is Tyrone Archer

Kind regards
Tyrone