Spotting entry and exit points with heikin_ashi

I plan to backtest this strategy with real tick data.
I coded the indicators, but not the strategy. I am still reading this thread.
@MikeWolski , what currency do you trade?

Hey Mihk
I trade the JPY.
Either long or short.
Thanks for the interest!

But I trade the daily time frames, only.

I think I got the HA Bar and LWMA for 1 Day timeframe calculated correctly. Switching my code from EUR to JPY pairs showed some annoying bugs I had to fix. I am still not done with the strategy. I will code it in the coming week.

I wanted however to post an intermediary backtest result I’ve done with the skeleton of a simple HA strategy. Enter/Exit at the change of the color of the Daily HA Bar.

gbp_jpy_2017 heikin ashi PnL 335.txt (6.9 KB)
usd_jpy_2017 heikin ashi PnL-749.txt (6.9 KB)
eur_jpy_2017 heikin ashi PnL-49.txt (6.9 KB)

I was surprised by the poor performance as I personally like the HA Candles. I think the main reason is that the price is already far away when you get a confirmation candle. Maybe this is also the reason captgrumpy strategy says to enter/exit when the LWMA5 makes a small spike up or down.

Hey everyone!

I have been reading through all the comments and your system has got me very interested, I will test and see for myself too.

I was wondering of any of you could give an update on how the trading has been, changes, etc?

Thanks for the good information.

Captain Grumpy may have been correct when he said the WMA2 was the better (faster) option to get in/out of trades.

I say this because

• the HA candles alone are so far behind real candles in indicating change when used as part of a WMA system alone, and
  • up to 30% of pips in some trades are falling on the floor, because of these late entries/late exits, and
  • using WMA5 as opposed to WMA2.also means trades are missed or entered/closed a day too late.

The three bullet points above all point to the same problem: late entry and late exits have cost pips.

This is not the right place to say this, since it is a thread on spotting entries/exits using HA candles.
But since the thread has withered and has a very weak pulse, I’m going to be bold and say it anyway:
The strategy would be a killer if weak trends or whipsaws could be identified as an adjunct to the main theory.

As far as I can see, there is a lot to be gained here by the addition of a trend-strength indicator, such as the ADX.

I may begin a new thread incorporating the WMA2, instead of WMA5, and use the ADX, or Stochastic-RSI indicator as a filter, with respect to Captain Grumpy and all the above participants who so freely gave of their time here. Other than that, I propose to keep everything else intact.

I never did understand why the PTP was used - it seemed too circumstantial for me.
I would have thought that a change of candle colour would be a more verifiable concept.
We’ll see.

I may also include a comparison with the candle chart , as a filter to keep out of trades that have a high probability of whipsaw/failure.

I am sorry your efforts did not bear fruit - you certainly gave it your best.
Most of the proponents here simply burned out I believe.
Well done people. Thank you.

When/if I initiate a new thread, I will post a link to it here - I think this concept deserves further exploration.

Have commenced a Journal to discuss a similar approach combined with filters to ensure trend and try to avoid whiplash activity.

2 Likes