Starting Forex at 17, questioning college

Most Forex brokers can not operate in the US so you very limited in your choice of brokers. The very few operating in the US like Oanda offer very limited instruments, CFDs are illegal in the US, so you are stuck to trading currencies only. Currencies, IMHO are not very volatile, for that reason they are not that great for day trading, for example the EU is practically dead. The few forex brokers in the US are not trustworthy, they usually mess around with spreads. Futures on the other hand is a centralized market with no spreads. You can trade currencies, energies, financials, indices, metals, meats, grains etc etc etc without those crazy spreads that you see with forex brokers. Today they offer Micro emini contracts on Indices and Gold making it easier to control your risk and there is talk about that they will soon offer micros for crude oil. There are plenty of places that offer free futures education including facebook groups. There is a popular forum called https://futures.io.

Good for you. Sometimes when it doesn’t feel right, you just walk away to something else.

Ah, I always thought you needed big bucks to get in, like $10K USD or something. I’ve seen futures.io mentioned here and other places. So does that mean you don’t trade Forex? I have to think you do, since you’re here. Or not…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Meanwhile I was gonna write that if he lives in the US to really think about the necessity of going to college and incurring student loan debt. :sweat_smile:

I still hold a small account with icmarkets but yes I’m more involved with futures.

How’s the futures markets over the last two weeks? What do you trade?

Why limit yourself? Do both. My viewpoint is Forex is just a tool to allow you to do what you want in life.
If you start both right now, you may have a chance not only to be educated, but in a position to not care if opportunities in the workplace dry up before you get your foot in the door.

I believe it’s depends on your country’s educational system; but honestly you’ll find so much useful info on trading on this popular forum! By the way, what’s your current situation of trading?

good ,go get a job ,come back in 2 years and choose again wisely.

I was about to respond, and I realized that this thread is from 2019. The kid hasn’t been back since then, either.