Starting with a small account

Don’t risk a large portion of your capital on a single trade. Begin with a small position size, typically 1-2% of your total account balance per trade. This helps protect your account from significant losses.

How small - some people think $10k is small. I assume forex. Broker and leverage have a strong impact. I have done small account challenges and can tell you that you have to be 85-90% correct or you can get margin called. Spreads can destroy you if the account is small. I would say that for most situations $1000 and up the model is the same if you are doing a 1-3% risk. I doubled a small demo account in 2 weeks starting at 7% risk and working my way down to 2%. So the idea typically is that when the account is really small then you are trying to get it to where it’s making enough money to count. If your lot sizes are in the 1% risk range it will take you a very long time to get there - that is the normal model. Again, the broker could be a major factor depending on spreads and leverage. Especially if you trade a style that requires big SL. In fact, a big SL is probably not feasible. I prefer scalping. I trade on the 2 - 5 pip Renko charts in cTrader.

1 Like

I definitely start with a small account, it helps me to learn forex. This could take months or even years. I found this insightful article on trading with limited capital for trading:

https://insights.primecodex.com/navigating-forex-trading-with-limited-capital/

My first account was funded with only $100 and it went vanished within two months.

1 Like

I would say just limit your risk exposure and don’t go for revenge trading.

I sent this to someone I’m helping.

20% per quarter on $200k is $160k per year
20% per month on $80k is $160k per year
20% per week on $20k is $160k per year
20% per day on $5k is $160k per year

Per day and per week you need to have invested $30k to $40k in algos, methodologies, processes (which work and few do) to have a chance of creating those return numbers after one year.

Plus per day is not sustainable for more than weeks or months, you need to progress to higher levels, do trading losses count towards that $30k to $40k, sometimes yes but mostly not, anyone saying differently is leading you off the fiscal cliff :grinning:

I’ve been doing per day 20% compounded and made 200% the past week on a small account I’m building up, to show it’s possible and validate the numbers above, they’re correct, but I have access to that fintech.

Everyone I know is used to those return numbers as a baseline, you won’t find anyone else here with that because you need to have come from high end consulting, wealthy families, created your own high end business.

If you spend $200 on a course you can expect to generate $1k per year profits, while being told you can make $50k or more, it doesn’t work that way but apparently the sheeple know no bounds in trying :grinning:

So you would prefer retail traders to trade on what an indicator is telling them or some other strategy making them trade 100’s if not 1000’s of times a year giving the broker as much money in spread and commissions than is necessary. with no idea of how well a country is doing or what the next catalyst could be.
but instead use technical analysis setups / strategies that the brokers themselves push onto retail traders…???

I’m not here to troll i was here before you

1. these investment banks , or any other financial institutions have a lot more money and technology than you and they are a lot closer to the exchanges,

2. their algo’s are smarter and faster than you could ever be

3. yes you might get lucky a few times scalping but it will not be consistent

4. running stops " IS " a thing…!!! who wouldn’t do it if they had the means and chance to.

5. look for a different approach because there is one.

6. Nothing is written in stone the Markets are Dynamic always changing

I’m glad to see you have some useful advice for these people who think it is going to be an easy ride

SO self-effacing and unassuming, too - it’s so incredibly good of you even to be willing to grace a forum for mere mortals with your presence :pray:

1 Like

More along the lines to show it’s possible, the problem is it costs $20k/yr to train someone to trade, even after 2yrs there is no guarantee it’s successful and they can break their demons.

I don’t actively trade (this is how the world does it), I passive trade which is why I can expand the profit window, so yes thank you for the compliment as I already knew my skill set was unique.

you really can’t see that comments like that are what make them laugh at you so openly over at EliteTrader?

never mind: with all that marketing going on in your profile, you might find one or two very inexperienced ones here who are taken in by it

2 Likes

Yes but you see active trading always fails, it’s designed to and it’s obvious you are part of that epidemic, unfortunately the inexperienced like yourself often have masses of family baggage derailing their progression, which they then use to derail other peoples progression, and given it costs the same as a top university degree to train someone per year which I doubt many here could afford, they are left with your good self :grinning:

Not even here, I think.

Even here, people can identify an arrogant, insulting, self-promoting forum-spammer when they see one. And they’re seeing one in the post right above this.

2 Likes

:laughing:

I bet it’s a few decades since you’ve been called “inexperienced,” @flamingoproxy ?

1 Like

lol, never mind that - it’s better than being called “geriatric” (though unfortunately that’s closer to the mark)

no - this is my concern -

the guy has somehow been inspecting my wife’s luggage?! :open_mouth:

1 Like

He probably works as a baggage carousel attendant, then, at Schiphol or Heathrow? He’s certainly not a trader!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your perspective and I totally agree that education is the key. Planning to take my time, learn the ropes and hopefully avoid that account-blowing scenario.

Yes, still a newbie after a year of joining here. :sweat_smile: Appreciate your advice.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Any tips on how you’ve been managing those emotions in your trading now?