Stock to consider for long trades only?

I have a friend who wants to trade stocks. I don’t know anything about that market.

Does anyone have any recommendations? He does not have a margin account so he can only go long.

1 Like

What, no stock traders here? :slight_smile:

I traded stocks in the early 2000 on the so called " Neue Markt" in Germany intraday, only long positions. The volatility was very high because of the prospects of the new companies which stormed with IPOs on the NEMAX floor. News trading could bring some fast profits within seconds like in the Forex market nowadays, position size 10000-20000 Deutsche Mark, just hop in and hop out-when the “New Economy” crashed, this game was over…:grinning:

Actually stock trading is just for elderly people and retired millionaire widows…:rofl:

I’ve been trading stocks, made $600 on Amazon the other day. Treat charts the same as Forex, but stay with liquid pairs such as the large cap stocks because smaller, obscure stocks or penny stocks can be very unpredictable and are more like gambling. They’re tempting because they’re cheap, but for the most part they’ll burn you. So look for charts with lots of movement. Also, as with Forex, manage position sizes and SL’s…extremely important!

If there’s anything specific you want to know please feel free to ask.

1 Like

Thanks Matty! How do I find stocks that move? I need to identify a list for him to invest in. If you have such a list please provide the same.

1 Like

That’s where the work comes in. You pretty much have to go through them one at a time, check 5Y, 1Y (daily bars), 1 month (1hr bars), and using your forex experience determine for yourself which ones are to your liking.

I will show you 3 lists I watch:

Hope this helps.

*Edit - there are some good sites you can subscribe to as well, such as Investors Observer

1 Like

Thank you. Here’s a list that I made. If you have some time to look them over would you tell me what you think of these stocks please?

1 Like

I am also interested in stocks. I want to know if I open an investment account in the US Stock Exchange like NASDAS, NYMEX, what are the fees I will have to pay? What is the minimum capital for opening an account? Thank you so much

1 Like

I’m not seeing much there I would trade, especially if I was looking for longs. Take WWE for example:

Not too promising for the up side here.
Or ARWR:

Not very liquid.

These are the kind of charts I look for:

You get the idea.

1 Like

Powter, it depends on your broker. I’m in Canada and I trade through Questrade as they’re a very reputable broker. I pay $4.95 to open 1-499 units and $9.95 for 500+. It’s the same fee to close them as well. There can be additional fees for holding shorts overnight.
My minimum balance I think is $250 but I had to have $1000 to open the account. To go through a big bank costs $9.99 for any size position I believe, but not sure of the other fees.

1 Like

Another posibility would be to trade options on your stocks-you safe some money because your stake is lower. So if you have chosen a stock and have a plan or prediction where the stock will moove you could buy a put or call, or maybe a combination to lock in profit if the stock moves in your direction

UNH (because healthcare!), and T for me!

Although honestly, I’m in the “set aside money for when the market drops” camp right now. I just don’t think this market can keep going up! So perhaps after Trump gets reelected. Just my 2 cents. :smile:

thank you very much. perhaps, new people have to put real money in to experience before unlike forex demo allowed. If questrade allows such a small deposit, it is not worrying to experience

we are a mainorty here XD
great site but too much FX

i strongly reccomend Etrade or Webull its very quick to get orders filled in there and very relaible
good luck to you :slight_smile: