Strategy 10/20

Here you go. Source is freely available if you search/google for it. Or check the usual sites. :wink:

I know. The TP level is in the name of the strategy “Strategy [B]10/20[/B]”. But if we follow the advice of wise and learned ones in forex, they advise to “let your profits run”. So if you take 1st profit @ 10/20 pips, how long do you let the remainder run for? It seems there are a few options (some mentioned in this thread):

a) Use pivot levels
b) Use fibonacci extension levels
c) Use the DC channel lines themselves (personal preference)
d) Combination of one of the 3 above with ADR

What do you think?

DonaldQ,

I’m sure there are better people to answer this question. But to me the first question I must answer to myself is if I can simply trade profitably with a simple brackets. I must be able to demonstrate that skill. Then I can add contracts, move to break even and let the profits run. Consistent targets are important. If you can handle the management of various targets then great. I agree that the DC levels are good tools.

Hopefully this gives your my perspective, I’m interesting in continuing this conversations as we all work to improve our trading.

I’m adding contracts as I maintain a good trading record. Next week I will go to 3 contracts with the third contract I will move to B/E if my first two contracts hit there target.

Thanks,
Greg

I picked up 7 pips with two contracts on this trade, there are an additional two contract still running with the stop at B/E.

Greg

The additional two contracts hit, it took all day.
18 pips. Not bad to start off the week. 27 pips.

Greg

I only picked up 9 pips here on half a position. I felt the market looked overbought. However, in hindsight I should have gone all in. This market won’t be denied.

Greg

Hi, took the first trade of the week and is looking good. Entry at 1.3009, stop loss just below KS 1.2965 and TP the first real resistance around 1.3070 / 75.

But as i’m writing this, the market is a bit slow, will wait and see if there is an indication of exhaustion to move stop to BE +5 that would be the middle of the channel.

Let’s see how it ends.

Huascar,

I like your set up. I also very appreciate the common aspects of our trading strategies an styles. I learn a great deal from your posting. I often have the KS and the 10/20 charts up side by side.

Greg

Second set of contracts still running, 15 minute chart.

Thanks Greg, both systems integrate pretty well for scalping.

About my entry today, it hit full profit 1.3083 :). By the way i will try using your system on higher timeframes if you haven’t tried it.

Two half positions hit this am on the gbp/usd on the 15 minute chart. 10 pips and 11 pips.

During the month of December I have made 34 trades for a total of 270 pips. 26 winners. 76% win rate. This win rate is very consistent over time. I have improved my stop lost placement over time and have gone to multiple contracts with entries at half position if the set up was not strong. I often now start a trade with half a position and then add to have a full position.

I have mostly stopped posting my trade due to lack of interest and response. The 10/20 is a very basic strategy, but it works.

Greg

Hi, Greg, i understand what you feel about the participation in the forums from other traders, but i guess the season might not help much, myself for example with my day job, only had time last week to take a trade and post it, but i review this and my “Samurai Channel” threads daily at least once to check for any comments or questions.

I’m changing to 4H to get at least 2-3 trades per week using any of the strategies mentioned above (will see if i can apply 10/20 to higher TF).

What i want to say to you is that please keep posting your trades and findings, because they had really helped my with my trading, gave me another pont of view and confidence. Thanks again Greg!

36 pips x 4 contracts on a 2 hour chart.

Greg

Update on trading experience. Last 21 trading days 17 of 21 trades winners. 80 percent. Average win 8.6 pips, average loss of 11.9 pips.

146 total pips won
47 total pips lost

99 pips net over last 4 weeks
4.7 pips average net over 21 trades

While this is not overly impressive, it is consistent and longer term back tests show 75 percent win rate. I think I can also reduce the stop to a 1 to 1 risk ratio.

I only make one or two trades a day within a 4 hour specific time period and with rather rigid rules followed.

If interested for more details, respond to the thread.

Greg

Hi Greg,
Thank you was share your system.
I am very interest, I use on live acc I hope will give green pips everyday.

Best regard

Dova,

Note that I now use a 34 on the Donchian Channels. Let me know if you are interested in the newer methods I use to obtain better results.

Greg

Your system looks good
thanks for sharing , i will test it

Thanks for information.
I think this system can use for holy grail too, for exit we can see cross of mid DC and MA.
I only test it I hope from this system wen can get more pips.
What do you think Greg with my idea?

Thank you Greg

DOVA,

The Holy Grail is our mind, our capacity to able to discipline ourselves and our decisions.

I have honed this method and have found a window in time and a specific currency where there is a high percentage of meeting a pre determined target. Note that I have survived since 2009. Trading currencies is the best way to throw away money. It is cruel and heartless, however with extreme patience it can and does yield wealth. Press too hard and profits will be blown away in a heartbeat.

I used to survey all the major currencies for opportunities. They exist, as well as pitfalls.

I used to look at different time periods. Now I trade with one.

The markets have a random overall pattern, but within the random market there are eddies as in a stream that repeat themselves when the strength or the current is right (volume of the market).

What is interesting about the Holy Grail is that it is like touching the face of God. All humans have this capacity, most just don’t understand it. We seek to make it more complicated than what it really is, it is simple and ready for us all.

If you want to know what I have found just ask.

Greg

PS What do I think of your idea. Has it stood up to hundreds of live trades and hundreds of back tests? I have tested many methods in babypips and others I have modified and they often work …for while until the trends change, the waves change, the eddies start doing odd things. Does the idea self screen the changes and keep you out of bad trades?

Yes I agree with you Greg, I just took oportunity from trending market so we can get more pips.
If market sideways I use scalping.

Thank you Greg

Huascar,

When I first read your thread I started working the longer time frames. I had some good trades but also some that lost. I have gone back to the shorter time frame. I found that trading the five minute time frame with some checking of the 15 minutes charts for confirmation of trend worked best.

Here is what I came up with.

Time period.

I live on the West coast of USA. My most productive and consistent trading is 4:00 am PT (Pacific Time) to about 8:00 am PT. This is 8:00 am ET to 12:00 ET USA. Within that time periods 4:30 am PT to 7:00 am PT is the best. I do venture out to before and during the London open but not often.

Currency
I trade the EUR/USD. I have traded most all currencies but the the EUR/USD works best with the 10/20 and your Samurai. Use the Force, use the EURO

Chart Time Frame
The Five Minute Chart

Indicators

Donchain Channel 34
RSI 5
50 SMA
Samurai Indicator (I keep it side by side with the 10/20)

Target/Stop

9 pip target, 12 pip stop

The four critical parts are the time of day, the EUR/USD, the 5 minute, the DC, Target/stop settings and the RSI indicators.
I’m still fine tuning target/stop. I do adjust my position size to the quality of the set up. In, addition a second entry with a longer target could payoff. Often the trade will pick up 9 pips and then turn into a nice runner. However looking for a runner is not consistent and takes monitoring of the trade. Moving to break even is tricky. My goal is to produce pips consistently.

Huascar, I not sure what time zone you live in but for me the window I use is critical. Most often when a set presents itself I have high level of confidence that I have a winning trade 75 percent of the time. This is not hype. I almost always walk away from the computer after setting a trade.

Huascar, your Samurai Method for me works hand in hand with the 10/20, it gives me another angle of the trade. I hope this helps. Perhaps this time frame will work with your work schedule. I do not spend much screen time, I will take a glance, and periodically check to the screen to see if the chart is setting up. No problem for me if no trade presents itself.
There is always the next day.

Greg