Stupid newbie mistakes in trading

Totally agree as I can see myself in your description.
With the difference I didn’t even watch youtube vids :joy:
Will go back to trading once my job lets me enough time to get some training and after enough practicing…

I am not sure what you mean. Are you referring to beginner’s luck?

Actually you started with a wrong psychology or trading approach. Your demo result shows how reckless you are in your trading approach. You brought that attitude in live trading. Unrealistic expectation, no plan, no risk management caused the havoc. You have to reboot yourself. First unlearn, then learn newly with new approch.

I totally missed this! I have been busy taking on a lot of software developement work. Our company really started taking off in 2014 as well, which has kept me busy. I may be starting another large developement contract that will take about 18 months to complete, which is in addition to my regular work hours. That should be interesting!

Agreed! I have heard of many traders who start out in live trading without putting a sound risk management plan in place. On top of this they harbor such overtly optimistic expectations of huge gains. One should be hopeful but not unrealistic as you pointed out. Demo trading experience is essential but it is very different from live trading experience.

1 Like

True. I think it is very important to trade on the demo account the same way as one would on the live account, or the whole exercise becomes pointless.

My newbies make very big mistakes. They think that forex guarantees you success. They also become impatient and let their emotions control their judgement making power. They are also under the assumption that they can become expert traders just by watching a couple of youtube videos.

Yup that is the main reason behind demo account trading. I believe one should not hesitate to spend as much time as required to learn trading essentials on demo account.

I agree. Learn the essentials, test your strategies and ideas, don’t be afraid to use this useful tool.

1 Like