Sunday Breakout Strategy

Stopped out on short. Also LWC is forming at the trend line and S+R Line… My be good to go for a long.

Just glanced at the spreadsheet for the first time…am I reading this right, a 3200% gain on account in under 5 years? From $100 to $3300, risking only 2% per trade?

For comparison, my results from Jan 2007 to present are only a 47% gain. Right now I’m going back through mine looking for errors and trades that were just a couple pips shy of BE or TP to try to account for the difference.

Thanks a lot. I have missed the setup at 8am Singapore time. Wondering how to check the weekly ATR at that point of time??? Current ATR reads as 454.

Any advice? :confused:

Well. Don’t know about the ATR. But the short trade that triggerred is stopped out, atleast for me… So currently the long is in play… with -4 pips… This is just for your information.

my short stopped out as well, now in Long trade

Thanks Cprao.

Hi Phil,

(1)Any idea how to check ATR at sunday candle if we miss it??
(2)I read NickB’s ebook on placing order, he use price alarm to sms him when the price hit and he will only place order base on momentum instead of pending order, can we use this method to place order for sunday breakout strategy? What’s the disadvantages?? Will that save us on risking the pips if the order triggered and stop out fast?

Long side stopped out for a loss after getting painfully close to BE,

Hi guys been a way for a few weeks. How’s the strategy doing? Last time I was here we had 3 loses in a row.

Bad luck. Both are loosers this week.

yup. not good. this strategy is really not for everyone. it is full of ‘bad lucks’, and in anticipation of a major ‘ultra good luck’. i am sure a lot of people will be interested, if looking at the annual figures, but will not get there, because all these weekly ‘bad lucks’ are energy sapping and demoralising.

:rolleyes:

I wouldn’t say the system is full of bad lucks, but you are right, its not for everyone. Each trader needs to trade in a style that they are happy with, you should never just blindly follow someone else’s system.

I myself don’t trade Phils system as is - I had to modify it a little to work for me (combination of Ninajatrader, feed and timezone issues), but so far in testing the core idea (sunday BO) has proven itself.

I managed a winning trade this week, which I’ve attached. I use the last Sunday candle which for me is 9PM. If you want to checkout the backtest results for this see post 479.

I got one loss one BE this week. I started to use the last two 1H candles on sunday GMT instead of the 4 that I can see.

hi mr kim! what is the basis for using last 2 candles, as I guess you’d get a shorter candel than using 4 candles (i guess you are using 1hr chart?) and therefore though breakeven faster, but more aggressive cos 2% of your capital on a short candle length?

A bit earlier in the thread we talked about the different number of 1H candles that people see in their sunday data because of different brokers. Although the entries are based on 4h candles, when you break it down, some people see 4, 3 and 2 hours of data. this strategy was developed by phil based on 2 hours of sunday data (correct me if im wrong). I was just saying that I’ve changed my demo trading to be more faithful to the original strategy. Had I taken 4 hours this week I would have had 2 losses. And yes, I think having shorter candles is nicer in this strategy in terms of easier break even and larger position sizes since we are limiting ourselves to only 2 trades a week. I should say also that im demo-ing this strategy on GBP JPY. That pair has a big fat ATR :smiley:

ok, understood. i am not sure if we backtest, whether we will end up with better results using 2 hrs of data…:confused: the shorter candle means easier to get whip lashed stopped out. but also easier to reach Breakeven. and returns from ATR would be amazing…

I was just looking over phil’s original spreadsheet and I noticed cell G508 doesn’t seem to be linked to the previous cells. The running balance seems to be reset for the start of the 2008 data. Is this a mistake?

this week’s

Thanks. Happy Trading!:slight_smile:

Ok. So first, let me say…newbie here, so I am sorry for the simple questions which I know are probably answered somewhere in this thread, but there are so many pages. I have tried to read a lot of the postings, but you know how it is.

Anyways, let me first ask, how you have numbers for the 4 hour first candle today? I am using FXDD and the first candle is still in progress. I was under the impression it would be from 1700 - 2100 EST (which won’t end for 25 minutes). I am sure I am wrong her, can someone explain?

So, my second question will probably be answered by someone answering the first question but I am getting different numbers for the first candle. My first candle high doesn’t even get close to 1.6786. So, it is because I am using a broker that doesn’t do the first candle time correctly? Right?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

last 4 hour candle of Sunday GMT; now it’s GMT 00.42 (The World Clock – Time Zone Converter)