Support and Resistance + Pin Bar trading

Yes - definitely a “zone” really, rather than a “level”. But the width of the zone will be relative to the time-frame and volatility.

There’s nothing wrong with that, either. I trade those - taking a breakout of the mother bar (not a breakout of the inside bar) when it’s in the direction of the underlying trend. Not all winners, naturally, but good odds.

10 isn’t many trades to be drawing conclusions from?

I have seen a bunch of Niall Fuller’s videos and they seem down to earth and based on good TA.

However, where we part company is on the importance of entry patterns (like pin bars) and price levels. I used to start my target selection by looking at all the charts I could, searching out the right entry patterns. I have become more successful with fewer stops hit since I turned this on its head and selected my targets first, then worked out a way to get into each.

These days I focus on assessing the strength of a trend. The strongest go on my target list and when cash-flow permits I go to the best looking target on the list and just see if I can get in on basically any old pattern. So, if price pulls back for 1 day, that might be enough - as long as the trend is still strong, and there is a TA-based price level not too far away which I can use for my SL: at this stage I’m not setting TP’s, I like to let the trades run until the trend weakens, not until the trade weakens.

PS: I am deeply unfashionable in that I don’t trust any chart less than daily. The 1hr, 4hr and 8hr time-frames often used are irrelevant to the opening hours of the businesses driving the forex market in its main trading centres. e.g. its is irrelevant if Japan sets a new high on the EUR/USD 4hr chart, as the volume is so low when London and NY are closed, it just doesn’t mean anything. Actually I’d prefer to have daily charts that featured the London open and ran until the NY close and ignored the Asian session, but I can’t re-set my software to do this.

This is ironic, as I myself focus on what you have dismissed, and have done for many years, turning net profits on that theory alone.

But, we all know we as traders have very different opinions, so it’s refreshing to read your post which really does reinforce this concept. :slight_smile:

You’re not alone there, RISKonFX: my experience on that point is also different from Tommor’s (and so, of course, is the experience of loads of institutional traders) though I certainly have plenty of respect for Tommor’s posts around here.

I have to admit, nearly all the successful trades see around the web use the 4hr charts as their main sources of TA. It just isn’t something I can make work for me.

Of course, the concept of a daily bar in forex is itself a bit misleading, as the market trades 24hrs/day Mon-Fri. I suppose the only universally accurate close is on the weekly bar. But for most purposes, the daily is close enough.

1 Like

Yeah i think there is alot of profitability in the 4hr charts, I’m just not too well up on them just yet and usually they tell new forex traders to maybe focus on the daily time frame as the signals are probably the best ones on that chart at the end of day NY close. I noticed with a bearish pin bar that looked to be forming in a downtrend of the AUD/NZD yesterday about 4pm caught my eye as a perfect sell signal but I ended up cancelling my order because the bar hadn’t actually closed and infact it closed above the open price and it now looks like the pair might be starting an uptrend although I’m not 100%

When you guys look on the daily and see a signal either inside bar / pin bar / fakey setup… do you then check the 4hr chart to see if that chart has confluence with the daily trend?

No, you are in the right track! Just keep it up! But one thing, if you always wait for 50% retrace setup, then you may miss so many entry points as well!

“Only in BabyPips” :unamused:

Is there a way to tell the difference between a signal like the hanging man that looks alot like a bullish pin bar but actually is looked at as an exhaustion ignal that the trend is ending?.. are MA’s good for this?

Think about what that “hanging man” candle would look like on a faster timeframe.

Might it look like a double top or a 123 formation?

Not for predicting which way prices are about to move (for distinguishing between the two things you’re asking about), no.

That’s not what indicators are for, in this context.

But an MA, or a combination of two MAs, can be good for determing whether or not to trade the price action pattern you’re asking about, if you want to enter them only in accordance with the direction of a trend and leave them alone otherwise. Which can be a very good thing to do.

I’m not too sure about the formation side of things…think I know a double top but not a 123 etc… When i mentioned about the MA’s I meant when say there is a crossover of a 21 and 8 day EMA… and a pin bar forms still within line of the trend (not a reversal)…is that likley to be a hanging man more than a pin bar because they look very much the same.

Also just wanted to find out what the best way to trade pin bars is with (market order or stop/limit order). Mostly I’ve read people say that setting orders on the pin bar high low (as long as the signal is in line with the current trend) is better but I’ve also seen others say that market orders are better to trade pin bars that are in direction of the trend.

Support/resistant is the most useful trading instrument, I am a news trader but till now I use this tool in my live chart! By the way, I have doubt on pattern based trading. Because, many times market provide false pattern, so it’s really confusing.

There are so many others things also that you can use to improve your strategy. Depending only on support, resistance and pin bar is not any healthy way to trade.

At the moment I tend to trade pin bars that are in the direction of the trend and forming from key S/R levels with a MA for confluence. If the MA is showing strong trend movement then I know it is a higher probability trade that the market will move in the correct direction. I don;t do reversal pin bars as I think going against the trade more often than not makes you lose money unless you truly know what you are doing. I have been trying to find out if my broker CMC Markets provide OCO orders where I could place a limit order at the 50% retrace of a pin bar and also place a stop buy/sell order at the nose of the pin bar and which ever one gets filled first cancels the other order, however I’m unsure if this can be done.

I haven’t seen many retail platforms allowing OCO order types, especially through the likes of the MetaTrader platform. I don’t see why this isn’t perhaps on the list of potential order types, although in essence it’s simply a script. Drop CMC a call, i’m sure they would tell you in no time.

I called CMC twice and they did say that they don’t do OCO orders, which was strange because a website that listed brokers who support the OCO order stated CMC do infact do them. I’m thinking the only possible work around is 2 seperate orders, one limit and one stop… and then which ever one gets filled to then cancel the other one manually… however this could happen in the middle of the night and both might get filled in the wrong direction which I think is the only problem. What would your thoughts be on this?

Are market orders at the close any good for pin bar trading or is it better to always set an order price?

I suppose the simple answer would be to change to a broker who does allow OCO - if it’s a deal-breaker that is?

Personally, I don’t use entry orders and always execute at market rate - but I understand your concern regarding over night positions triggering both opposing orders in the wrong direction.

If your using a trading platform that allows custom scripts then this should be the easy answer as no changes are required.

Do you execute your market orders at the end of day close?

Oh not at all, predominantly I’m in the markets at European open, but that’s no help to your dillema! Good luck