Swing trading = 1d charts?

Hey everybody, glad to make my first post in this comunity. So … im reading baby pips school, plus IP course and demo trading, i have been in the FOREX for almost 2 months now and currently demo trading. But something that is not very clear is … when youre into swing trading, all your analysis is base on the 1D chart? I read that you can use the 4H as a type of confirmation, but the main analysis is done on the 1D right? Thanks guys

1 Like

Depends on the trader, strategy and account size.

I think the most common time frames for swing trading are the daily, weekly and monthly.

You can use higher frames to help identify major s/r levels and trends while using lower time frames for execution.

I use the daily, weekly and sometimes the monthly to identify major s/r levels and trends but my execution takes place on the daily and 4hr.

I would use the monthly more often if my account was larger. I occasional use a 1hr to breakdown a b/o on the 4hr, but thats as low as l’ll go.

2 Likes

Well, I mainly use D1, in addition I also use H4 and H1 time frames! Yes, I am a swing trader!

1 Like

No.

The term “swing trading” has nothing to do with the time periods involved or the chart speed.

You can do “swing trading” using anything from an ultra-fast tick chart or 30-second chart to a weekly or monthly chart.

There are plenty of intraday swing traders using very fast charts.

There’s just no correlation at all between “swing trading” and chart speed or time frames.

3 Likes

Correct, obviously, but in this forum some of the beginners talk of “swing trading” as if it’s the counterpart to “fast trading” or “intraday trading”. They seem to use it to mean just “holding trades for longer”. :confounded:

(“Scalping” also has a totally different meaning here from throughout the rest of the trading community, I’ve noticed.)

1 Like

it can be from any chart

forex charts are fractal and there are just as many swing trading opportunities on a one-minute chart as with a one-week chart

swing trading refers to the type of trading trying to catch the move between a swing low and a swing high, not to the time frame

2 Likes