Teamviewer Remote Access

Hey guys, my desktop at home will be running MT4 and I would like to access it from work using my laptop to trade.

Ive been looking into Teamviewer, does anyone have any experience of this?

I will be starting the FTMO challenge in September and want to make sure everything runs smoothly before I start.

Thanks

Hi Paul,
Not sure if you are using Windows operating system, but most companies now use the native app within Windows which is Windows remote desktop access. I have linked below to an article that explains what it is and how to set it up.

At risk of sounding like an unpaid Microsoft consultant, also see this article. Over 30 years I have found that often the use of what already exists is far simpler than buying additional apps that have no advantage over that already provided within the root system.

1 Like

Hi @Mondeoman

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah ive seen the two options. Do you have experience with windows remote access? It was the security I was worried about with that. If my internet connection at home disconnects then reconnects, will the remote access automatically re-enable?

Yeah I saw the security concerns with Teamviewer aswell but It may be the lesser evil as Teamviewer has its own security aswell. Its also free for peronal users.

Hi Paul,
Only as an end user. I am a contract IT programme manager and it is about 10 years since I actually “did any real work”, tending to spend my time making up stories that various tiers of management will believe.

I think there are settings in the remote access apps that either require a local human to accept a request from a remote accessor, or automatically accept these. In the old days (a decade ago) we used to design these remote access solutions that could also cope with a glitch that required a physical reboot of the machine. That was with a modem connected to the main input power that cycled the power input to the server. Of course, if your home machine is a laptop with a battery, that is not feasible.

Recommendation. Set up the free version of Teamviewer (and as an alternative, the Windows app), and suck it and see. You may also think of investigating whether your broker has a mobile app that allows you access from the mobile phone, if you only wish to enter, manage and exit trades remotely.

Thanks for your advice mate, after a bit of thought Im just going to trade remotely using a laptop, 4g dongle and a powerbank. :+1:

Well done. Any way to check reliability of 4G signals from your remote locations before you go there, or will that be a suck it and see? Last year, I chose specific hotels in the Midlands because some of them had such poor reception I could not tether my laptop to my mobile without significant service interruption. Just a thought.

I live in Edinbirgh, but the site im on is in Dunbar so ive checked the EE 4G signal and it seems ok, I get a mobile connection fine so should be good.

Good result, thanks for explaining.

I use Team-viewer and would recommend everyone the same. It’s absolutely safe and provides complete end-to-end encryption.