Technicals & fundamentals

Worth pointing out that last time I checked the charts, 16 of the worst 1-day falls in the Dow since 1900 came out of downtrends, only 4 came out of a clear blue sky.

Also, the worst(?) single day price shock in forex, the EUR/CHF collapse of 15/01/15, a drop of 17.2%, came out of a downtrend that had been established for months and months.

One day I will check the biggest single day shocks in forex but I’m going to suggest the old proverb is correct in forex too, that bad news comes out of downtrends and good news comes out of uptrends…

3 Likes

Just did a quick scan of the 20 biggest single day falls and rises in EUR/USD since 1976. Aim was to confirm if the 50EMA slope and the price location relative to the 50EMA on the prior day predicted the direction of the move.

Very disappointed. Found that only 5 out of most exceptional 20 rises were predicted by positive trend. Of the 20 most exceptional falls, 10 out of 20 were predicted by negative trend.

So the old rule that bad news comes from downtrends not holding in this pair.

1 Like

Thank you do you trade using orders and stop losses etc?

Yes. I only ever enter trades via pre-set orders - I can set these ahead of support or resistance in the form e.g of daily highs or lows. I always set a stop-loss, though these are usually so wide that they are rarely hit, I usually close losing trades because their TA has deteriorated well before the stop is hit, so the losers are small. The other side of that coin is that I always pyramid the winners.

1 Like

Wow sorry for asking so many questions I’m very very new to this I haven’t started trading yet I’m busy reading currency trading for dummies but it’s so nice to be able to chat to some one do u mind if I ask u questions from time to time?

Go right ahead, post or PM as you need to. Posting is better because in all modesty someone else might have an idea which is better for your individual purposes than a suggestion I might make.

We didn’t have Eur//Usd in 1976 ?

What does pyramid mean you said u always pyramid them

Let me Google that for you…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Means adding to the trade rather than closing it when it is making profits for you. Works better if you’re trend-following and the trend is continuing. Adding can either be done on a measured scale, say x pips ahead of your entry, or when there is a fresh entry signal from the chart.

Its a way to make greater profits from the same TA set-up, but you have to be careful not to multiply the capital risked at the same time. Worth further research as to methods.

1 Like

Wow thank you that’s interesting

Interesting answers you are getting which can be misleading so I would suggest you go through the free courses on Babypips to understand more.

Fundamentals are the big picture the Macros if you like things like Brexit, Trump or Quantitative Easing. More important are the sentiments which could give you direction for an hour or several sessions and help with direction. Sentiments could be an Economic Indicator driving the market one way and then fading back to the big picture or a Central Bank Speaker giving a speech. The benefit here is you know why the prices is moving.
Even as a Fundamental trader you still need some Technical Analysis for execution.

Usually only unexpected news moves the market if it is expected you see the moves before the event and profit taking after.

Technical Analysis is looking at the charts and making trading decisions based on price action or indicators.

Find out what suits you,

Both types of traders can be successful and both can fail for various reasons that we all know very well.

Thank you I must just I’m so glad I’ve found this sight and the feed back is absolutely invaluable as a extremely newby like me this sight is an absolutely must have thank u guy’s

Fundamental we will have to think and understand economic in each country, region.

Technical we will have to read and understand how price movement on chart. MT4, MT5 or TradingView that help you access the chart anywhere. It’s very important to understand Dow theory, Lagging and Leading indicator."

for news trading with successfully which is more important ? technical or fundamental ?

There’s two ways to trade off news - either fundamental - read the news and take the trade in the direction you think it will drive price - or technical - watch price move after the news and follow it.

In both cases, you can trade the opposite direction if you think the market’s making a false move or the move has been excessive.

There’s an element of prediction and reaction in both. Both could in theory be profitable. However, trading off news events leads to quick and serious losses for almost everyone who does it. Therefore, you would need an exceptional strategy in order to be in the small minority who make a profit this way.

1 Like

Thank you very very interesting

I think that market is generally driven by the news and the imminent price change is a reflection of market expectations of future developments on fundamental side. But, it dosent mean that fundamentals will actually develop in that way, which would impose market correction

I don’t believe there are any profitable fundamental traders out there. It’s literally impossible to solely trade based off fundamentals in my opinion

1 Like

Basically, most of the traders trade based on trading tools (technical indicators) or trading chart; but no doubt having a combo skill is very much useful.

1 Like