The 3 Duck's Trading System

I am a little confused about the 2 charts you posted which I understand should be the same chart with and without HA charts.

HA charts only average out the bars primarily changes the body of the bars and the color of them it does not change where the high / lows (wicks).

As far as I can see there is something wrong with your above charts as the second chart shows different high / lows than the first chart.

Below you can see the last abt 7 hours of EURUSD on the 5min chart with and without HA charts.
As you can see all the high and lows are exactly the same it is just the colors and the body of the bars that are changed.

I believe that the difference is that you are using the ā€œstockā€ HA and Iā€™m using an HA that has been Smoothed. IMO, the highs/lows are part of the noise that I can do w/o. For the HA that Iā€™m using, Google/link to: forex-indicators.net

To all that use or intend to use Heikin Ashi Bars with the 3 Ducks Method, I would suggest that you stick to the Original Standard version and not the Smoothed version.

You are already using the 60 SMA, so there is no need to add yet another Moving Average in the form of the Smoothed Heikin Ashi which does not maintain the original highs and lows of the bars. They are important if you want to strictly follow the 3 Ducks method.

Remember, that in the 3rd Duck, there is the ā€œducklingā€ where you look at recent high and low zones, which can still be seen with the standard Heikin Ashi but not on the smoothed version. The so-called High/Low ā€œnoiseā€ is important not only for the setup, but also for deciding on a stop-loss or trailing-stop and for adding to your position on long trends; so they should not just be ignored. Obviously, you could have the smoothed version on your chart on top the standard candle stick bars, but why clutter your chart with all that when it only complicates things.

To recap; you already have the 60 SMA, so use the Standard Heikin Ashi bars, on top of a Line Chart so as to see the original Close positions. Just keep it simple and clean!

While using the smoothed HAs, if you want/need to see more ā€œnoise,ā€ just click on the Bar Chart or Candlestick icons.

That is exactly my point. There is no need to clutter up the chart with 2 bar systems, when there is already a Moving Average on the chart (namely the 60 SMA). There is no need for yet another Moving Average by way of a Smoothed [I]Heikin Ashi[/I].

Plus, as I wrote, you need the High/Low noise if you are going to follow the [I]3 Ducks[/I] correctly. If you are ignoring the High/Low points, then you are NOT following the [I]3 Ducks[/I] method.

I prefer to not see the noise when Iā€™m scanning pairs while looking for a setup. However, when I begin to enter or exit a trade, I certainly add the Bar Charts.

ā€“

BTW, what is the purpose of that yellow MA that I see on your chart?

It is NOT a Moving Average. It is the Line Chart of the Close prices, since [I]Heikin Ashi[/I] close prices are artificial, as I stated in my post:

How are you only getting two trades per day? Using the 5M swings i see many more setups than that, although i am using 16 pairs, perhaps i should cut some of them out. What are you using to filter them?

Should i perhaps go with the 10 pairs that the captain posted on page 11?

Hello everyone. Iā€™m rediscovering 3 ducks again, in the past Iā€™ve overlooked it because the set and forget method had a lot of losses. Recently because of unemployment Iā€™ve been paper trading 3 ducks. And loosely paper trading it at that. If I had followed the rules better the results would have been better. So I plan to be an active member of this thread. (Edit: I forgot to mention, some of the winning 3 ducks days are astounding! Best method Iā€™ve paper traded yet.)

In USD/JPY long at 114.84 stop loss at 114.69 triggered while I was posting above.

I would suggest you reread the free ebook which explains this part.

You take a basket of currency pairs you want to study. You then go through them all once a day and choose the 3 best pairs.

You then only trade the 2 best setups and leave the third as a backup.

You might see many more setups but you should only trade the 2 best setups that day.

For your guidance I am personally scanning abt 20 pairs a day

A 15 pip SL on a pair that ranges well above 100 pips a day seems pretty aggressive in my opinion.

For JPY pairs I would usually not have less than a 30 pip SL.

Thanks, thatā€™s why Iā€™m going to be posting my charts ( when I have the ability ) and my entries. For positive feedback. Iā€™ve been using a set 20 pip SL for paper trading, lots of losses but good RvR when it hits.

I find it difficult to keep up with just 4 pairs.

Stopped out overnight, 30 pip S/L would have done the trickā€¦

Are you daytrading the 3 duck strategy?

I am not sure how you can find it difficult to keep up with 4 pairs since you are only suppose to look at them once a day and then set your pending orders and forget about them for 24 hours.

Sorry to hear that.

I pulled in abt 112 pips in AUDJPY with abt a 30 pip s/l myself (just took profit now)

You did quite a bit better than I did on that trade Rindoan. I took a 35 pip profitā€¦I would have taken over 100 pips had I not set such a tight TS. Oh well, at least it was a win.

For myself I tend to not set any profit targets but instead leave it open so it can run.

Which is exactly what I did in this case but, as I said, my trailing stop was too tightā€¦live and learn

Its cool, its a micro account :slight_smile: