The Day the NFL Died

Amidst boos, jersey burning cancelled season tickets, and falling off the cliff TV ratings, Players and Owners on Sunday, doubled down on their middle finger in the eye of their fan base. And no this is not about Trump, this all started last year and has been building to what we saw on Sunday.

The NFL has wrapped it’s self around the Flag, armed forces and Patriotism. To allow their players to now show disrespect regardless of their reason seems to be a suicide move by the NFL

[quote=“Dennis3450, post:1, topic:115238, full:true”]

The Day the NFL Died

The NFL has wrapped it’s self around the Flag, armed forces and Patriotism. To allow their players to now show disrespect regardless of their reason seems to be a suicide move by the NFL.[/quote]

Sadly, I agree with you, Dennis.

I’ve been a football fan for more years than I’m going to admit to, and I’ve watched countless hours of NFL games.

But, for now — and maybe forever — I’m done with the NFL.

I put this homemade sign in the back window of my pick-up truck —

2 Likes

One fan whines, 10 more people who weren’t fans before start to become aware that the players have a say in the offering a little color and character to entertainment that had become so robotic & autonomous. I actually realize these players are actually people now in Goodells No Fun League. They have me and my friends watching again! Everyone has an opinion.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK a mouse :scream:

Said The Rass VIPER

Not directed to Clint’s and Dennis’s POV

Welcome to the NBPL –

NATIONAL BLACK POWER LEAGUE

THIS CRAP HAS NO PLACE IN SPORTS

1 Like

I guess we can call this a little justice

You lads need to get into the AFL. Greatest show on the planet.

Seems there are multiple arguments going on here, but Trump, as might have been expected, just poured fuel on the fire.

At any other time, any other situation, surely kneeling for the national anthem would not be classed as disrespectful?

I agree Trump needs not add his two cents, but this all started last season and the NFL choose to not address the problem. We would had gotten to this point had Trump said nothing, or Hillary was elected.

As far as the kneeling part, how do you miss the irony of the players ( mostly black) kneeling before 70,000 fans that are mostly white. Historically kneeling has always been a sign of submission, not protest

1 Like

Hi Bob,

Soccer has been gaining popularity here in the States, and is a big deal right here in Orlando, If the NFL keeps it up then Football might have a whole new meaning for us the the USA

I used to think so to, and have placed hand over heart many times. But as I start to reason, research, and actually THINK, do people not realize its more tradition than an oath? Are we stuck in tradition? The “Pledge of allegiance” is our oath to the flag and our nation. Not some chopped over premodern song that we only select the parts we prefer. Its more conventionality than practical. They started doing this in the 1930s to get more engagement during baseball games, and our robotic public took on to it like chocolate milk …Any way you show your love for this country during our anthem is fine with me, as long as you’re subjectively respectful.

Thanks tock.

It does seem to me that respect is owed absolutely to a national anthem, meaning there is no room for political or personal gestures / expressions. Kneeling, saluting, hand on heart, standing still upright, these are all expressions of respect. I don’t see any gain in anyone criticising people for doing one and not another during the anthem. Whether Colin Kaepernick meant it that way or not. Fist in the air however is not on.

1 Like

Now if only the current players were to see a pay cut because of their actions they might rethink their conduct. problem is by the time this lost revenue starts to trickle down to the players many will have completed their playing days, it is new players, the ones still in high school that will pay the price for today’s player actions

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-tv-audience-numbers-continue-to-decline-early-in-2017-season/ar-AAtjtDv?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCDHP

@tommor, @tock Actually there are federal regulations governing what is proper conduct during the playing of the national anthem.

36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute - 36 US Code Section 301

(a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
© all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

1 Like

That’s pretty clear then.

But it doesn’t mention singing the anthem’s words. Surely this is wholly respectable, even if not prescribed? And kneeling may not adhere to the detail but certainly respects the spirit of respect for the anthem which the code seeks to confirm?

Maybe NFL players’contracts say something relevant?

In order to obey the law, you must obey the letter of the law. The spirit of the law argument doesn’t hold a lot of weight. In this case, anyone who kneels, holds up a fist, links arms, or does anything other than perform the anthem or stand with hand over heart is breaking the law.

If the law is amended to allow for those other gestures than those other gestures would be fine. But it clearly states in black and white what appropriate conduct is so there is no debate. Rules are rules. They are not guidelines.

Just ask Bill Lipschutz about rules…

1 Like

New York Daily News
Saints: It’s ‘unfortunate’ vet rejects honor over anthem protests

A Navy veteran is taking a stand against those taking a knee.

John Wells, a retired U.S. Navy commander, turned down an offer from the Saints to be honored prior to last Sunday’s game against the Bears because he can’t “in good conscience” enter an NFL stadium due to the ongoing national anthem protests.

“Although I am touched and honored to be selected for such an award, the ongoing controversy with NFL players’ disrespect for the national flag forces me to decline to participate in the presentation,” Wells wrote, according to a release, per reports. “I am unable, in good conscience, to enter an NFL stadium while this discourtesy prevails. Since this award is tainted with the dishonorable actions of the NFL and its players, I cannot accept it.”

Wells, who is the executive director of Military Veterans Advocacy, was slated to receive the Peoples Health Champion Award, an honor awarded at Saints home games to recognize “the exceptional achievements of Louisiana residents age 65 and older.”

Wells described the national anthem protests as “a slap in the face” to military veterans.

“Men and women have fought and died for the flag that the players are disrespecting,” Wells wrote.

The Saints called Well’s decision “unfortunate and disappointing” in a lengthy statement released Thursday.

“Respectfully and honorably, we chose Mr. Wells for the Peoples Health Champion Award purposefully for this game to bring to light the exact issues that he and his organization represent - the health and well being of our military, veterans and their families,” the Saints said in a statement.

“Unfortunately, he has chosen very publicly not to accept this honor and refused the opportunity to promote the very cause for which he was being honored and distract from awareness we hoped to build throughout our community. We respect his decision, he has that right, and we thank him for his service to our country and his past efforts on behalf of the military and veterans.”

The Saints later point out every player has stood for the national anthem since the franchise was founded in 1967 – outside of Week 3 this season where “a few of our players did sit.”

Since then, the Saints have kneeled prior to the anthem in a show of unity against racism and social injustice before rising and standing for the anthem.

Despite the fact the team kneels before the anthem, and not during it, fans have continuously booed the team for their actions, something Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro addressed Thursday.

“Our crowd boos us before the anthem, therefore it’s not about the flag, it’s about the fact we are bringing awareness to a cause that makes people uncomfortable," Vaccaro wrote in a string of tweets.

When a fan said people are mad because they believe the Saints will eventually sit during the anthem again since they did so earlier in the season, Vaccaro responded, “We already said what we were gonna do so get the picture or don’t come.”

1 Like

Vin Scully: ‘I will never watch another NFL game’

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/vin-scully-i-will-never-watch-another-nfl-game/ar-AAut7kN?li=BBnb7Kz

America turns football players into celebrity millionaires — and this is how they show their contempt for our country, our flag, and our national anthem.

Former San Francisco Forty-Niners quarterback Colin Kaepernick, flanked by two teammates.

Pittsburgh Kneelers QB Ben Roethlisberger disrespects the flag and the national anthem.

As I said in a previous post — F the NFL.

2 Likes

Honestly I still don’t get what they are protesting for…perhaps so that Trump can use his favourite quote “You’re fired!” :smiley: