The difference between scalping and day trading?

Scalpers want small price movements in the market. It could be just a few points. And their trades are often fast. And intraday traders can take a larger volume of movement - the main thing is that such transactions are opened and closed within one day.

For some pairs or on some low-liquidity exchanges, scalping seems impossible. The fastest trade seems to take at least 2 hours in low liquidity situations.

Perhaps, my brain is not trained enough, yet.

But we can choose trading pairs ourselves. And if you choose more volatile trading pairs, then there will be no problems with liquidity. Such pairs make quite large movements in a short period of time, so scalping on such instruments can be quite profitable when you make even quick trades.

Which “exchanges” are you thinking of? Are you talking about forex, here, or something else?

Non-mainstream crypto exchanges. Try to trade non-mainstream cryptocurrencies on non-mainstream crypto exchanges.

1 Like

Depends on the timeframe. A scalper objective is to win money when there’s a huge supply/demand difference.

Scalping can be a multi day trade if you are scalping some weekly support/resistance, not necessarily only a few seconds trade. All depends on the perspective.

That’s not the definition of scalping. I think we need a clear definition of scalping, first. Is there any objective real definition?

Scalping is a type of trading when a market participant enters into many short-term transactions in one trading day with a minimal change in the price of an asset.

Scalping is a type of day trading. Multiple quick small trades within the day or trade session

Day trading and intraday trading are interchangeable.

It’s Basically closing trades in forex before market rollover or before 5pm local market time in other non-24 hr markets.

Easiest explanation.

1 Like

I had an acquaintance who was a scalper.
He would take 15-20 trades a day of 5-10 pips using 20-30 mini lots.
I on the other hand am a day trader. (E-mini S&P futures and Crude oil futures)
I trade 3-6 contracts and I usually hold a trade from 30 minutes to 6 hours.
I am looking for a one and done trade for the day.

We make similar amounts at the end of the day.

Hope that clarifies the difference…

Good trading All

1 Like

I think I want to become a day trader who trades 3 to 6 trades a day.

I don’t want to create more than 6 trades per day. However, I’m struggling to open one trade per day with my current trading strategy. I’m trying to reduce the time it takes to finish a trade.

Perhaps, I should scan multiple charts to find 3 to 6 trades per day. Finding one trade per day in a single chart seems difficult.

What is your current strategy?
And why do you feel you need to make 3-6 trades per day instead of one good one?
If you watch say 6 pairs and look for the right setup you should be good to go…
Especially if you trade both long and short.

Good trading All

I have yet to be profitable. My goal right now is not money. It is growth and transformation. I’m in my practical apprenticeship phase. To facilitate growth, I want to trade more often. More trades mean faster growth.

I’m an apprentice. I want to transform my mind so that it becomes suitable for trading.

1 Like

How long have you been trading?

Use the Market Replay feature in your trading software to trade the last 4 weeks of data.
This will give you plenty of practice developing and using your strategy.

I did a months worth of trading over a weekend every weekend for months when I first began.
That expedited my growth.

2 Likes

I like the answers, basically scalping is the turbo version of daytrading haha.

Hi, not sure if this is the place to post these questions, thought I would give it a try. If not, sorry for the inconvenience. I basically day trade/Intraday (not scalpng at all) or hold a bit, like a swing, or based on news, watch the charts/patterns constantly for decisions. I think my indicators in my study sets are messed up, with respect to the settings for the type of trading I do, and more geared towards scalping, since most of the people I know only use those settings (or use custom think scripts created for scalping). I have read allot, everything I read has different information or contradicts and I can’t find a good book that just talks about technical indicators when and how to use them, based on settings/ time frames. Can anyone suggest the best settings for MACD Histogram, Macd 2 line, Ema. I understand the most common 12, 26, 9, but it seems to slow/inconsistent. I believe 3, 9, 5 is more for a scalping. Does 5, 13, 50 make sence, or 8, 13, 50? I feel 50 length/days seems to long for intraday or swing. Did you ever hear of any of these books: a. Encyclopedia of Technical market Indicators by Robert Colby or b.12 Simple Technical Indicators that Really Work by Mark Larson. Would appreciate any help, assistance anyone can provide. Ty

I would not use Indicators for scalping and I would not scalp Forex.
Indicators are lagging. They are just a different graphic of moving average cross overs.
Forex has the spread to contend with. (you are negative in the trade from the get go).
Regardless of the market I would use Tick charts for scalping ( I use them for day trading)
(I trade E-mini S&P and Crude Oil Futures)
You could use a Moving average as Dynamic support/ Resistance… But would want to look for a particular setup once bars break above or below…
Example:
A 123 pullback to the MA or a Bear/ Bull trap

Good Trading All

2 Likes

Isn’t it better to just trade with a little bit of money I am willing to pay for education?

Without real money involved, I can’t feel real emotions.

Not big enough to hurt me really, but big enough to make me feel emotions in the real markets.

If I don’t put real money, then I also can’t learn the capacity of my trading strategy. If it has low capacity then, I can’t put a lot of money in the strategy later.

And you will not see the practical impact of slippage and widening or narrowing buy/sell spread either with paper trading. Though the right advice for a novice is to paper trade, I am in agreement with you here, and I started my Forex trading nearly 15 years ago with a dedicated bank that was assigned and put in place about two weeks before I actually traded.

Following that plan allowed me to actually make some trades where I was unsure whether to go long or short, and for a few $ (less than the price of a cup of coffee), I allowed myself to trade those mistakes. The funny thing was, when I reviewed a group of about 20 trades, half the time my mistakes cost me money, and half the time they made me money. That is when you start to realize there is a small difference between having a trading plan and the law of averages. It’s really tough to be able to know if and when you are going in the right direction, and it sure helps to get there as fast as you can with very small trades. I sometimes traded at 0.1% of bank, just to get the the exit and be able to analyze the results.

3 Likes

Fair enough - but institutional trading floors are full of people doing exactly that, y’know?

Neither would I. Not spot forex, obviously. That’s betting against the counterparty who controls the prices.

1 Like