The finest in trend trading

Tymen, this is all pure gold you’re laying down right now. I’ve been looking for a codified set of rules for boll walk entries. I’m sure I’m not the only trader who is often a little late getting in on a squeeze breakout. This is a good set of rules for getting “on the bus” as it is heading out of the station in the first few candles.

It’s really weird how much synchronicity there is this week. I’ve just recently began discussing with another veteran trader here the employment of multiple-deviation boll bands. Now here you are discussing the 1.5 deviation and I actually have a another trading system (very simple) based on 20:1 and 20:1.5 bands (PDF attached).

I found it it quite fascinating and perhaps you might want to consider some of the ideas, if you feel they have merit.

BB on Steroids.pdf (175 KB)

my attempt at answering exc1. I’m prob away off but here is what I thought to be the logical order, I’m just hoping to learn.:slight_smile:

RULE 2 - this candle must develop from a squeeze area.

RULE 1 - a BB walk is considered when there is a candle that passes thro the upper/lower BB with its wick or body.

RULE 3 - at the time of this candle appearing, the outer BB must be expanding together, and the mid BB either rising or falling depending on whether there is a long or short BB walk.

RULE 4 - the candles must develop in stepwise function to the upper/lower BB.
The rise must not consist of one only candle rising to the outer BB.

RULE 6 - If the BB does not expand again with the entry candle, then no entry is made.

RULE 5 - After the signal candle (Rule 1), entry is made on the next candle if and only if the price action on this candle passes inwards to touch/go thro the 1. standard dev. BB.
Entry is made upon the touch/pass thro or better.
A 2 contract entry allows the 1st entry to be improved upon with the 2nd contract.

RULE 7 - If, after making entry, the next candle (signal candle, entry candle, next candle) does not show both BB expanding, then a quick exit is made for safety

here is my Carousel of rules for the shortcut method to enter on a BB walk only

1 (RULE 2)- this candle must develop from a squeeze area

2 (RULE 4)- the candles must develop in stepwise function to the upper/lower BB.
The rise must not consist of one only candle rising to the outer BB.

3 (RULE 1)- a BB walk is considered when there is a candle that passes thro the upper/lower BB with its wick or body

4 (RULE 3)- at the time of this candle appearing, the outer BB must be expanding together, and the mid BB either rising or falling depending on whether there is a long or short BB walk

5 (RULE 6)- If the BB does not expand again with the entry candle, then no entry is made

6 (RULE 5)- After the signal candle, entry is made on the next candle if and only if the price action on this candle passes inwards to touch/go thro the 1. 5 standard dev. BB.
Entry is made upon the touch/pass thro or better

7 ( RULE 7)- If, after making entry, the next candle (signal candle, entry candle, next candle) does not show both BB expanding, then a quick exit is made for safety

(1) 26x15min candles if u include opening and exit candles
=6.5 hrs
=59pips/6.5=9.08 pips per hr

(2) 9.08/60m=0.151 pips per min

Hello Tymen, reading this post, I have a doubt regarding the Candle C. You say that both BB are expanding again so [B]an entry is possible[/B]. This entry is made at the 1.5 S.D BB as shown on the chart. My doubt is, what is occur first, or better to say, when is formed the expansion of the BB?.

I mean, if the BB are formed after the candle close, at the same time that the candle is forming. My doubt mainly is that if BB are formed after the candle close, you always lose the oportunity to get into the trade because the 1.5 SD BB has already been touched.

May be it is a stupid question, but I sorry, I understand almost everything you teach us, but I am still newbie. The formation of BB still is not clear for me. My impresion is that the BB are under formation when the candle is also forming.

Sorry for my english, may be is difficult to undestand what I want to express.

Regards

Hello Tymen, this is what I have down for exercises 1 and 2:

Exercise 1 - Order of rules:

RULE 1 - this candle (signal candle) must develop from a squeeze area.
RULE 2 - the candles must develop in stepwise function to the upper/lower BB. The rise must not consist of one only candle rising to the outer BB.
RULE 3 - a BB walk is considered when there is a candle that passes thro the upper/lower BB with its wick or body.
RULE 4 - at the time of this candle appearing, the outer BB must be expanding together, and the mid BB either rising or falling depending on whether there is a long or short BB walk.
RULE 5 - If the BB does not expand again with the entry candle, then no entry is made.
RULE 6 - After the signal candle (Rule 1), entry is made on the next candle if and only if the price action on this candle passes inwards to touch/go thro the 1.5 standard dev. BB.
Entry is made upon the touch/pass thro or better.
A 2 contract entry allows the 1st entry to be improved upon with the 2nd contract.
RULE 7 - If, after making entry, the next candle (signal candle, entry candle, next candle) does not show both BB expanding, then a quick exit is made for safety.

Exercise 2 - Pip rate calculation:
1)

(26 bars * 15 mins) = 390 mins
59 pips total / 390 mins = 0.15 pips per minute

(26 bars * 15 mins)/60 = 6.5 Hours
59 pips total / 6.5 hours = 9.07 pips per hour

A seemingly minor detail - with a major consequence, I’d like to comment, but alas , I simply do not know.
I do notice that after the close of the candle in question there is opportunity to open a position immediately -there is also a chance to open a position about the same as what ‘would have been’ -

Edit part below:
it appears that the expansion of the BB, has nothing to do with where price is at - - - - so depending on the ‘programming’ of how a BB works, as far as I know it is very possible for at the point of intersection of the price and the 1.5 BB that the outer BB may ‘point’ outward.

Someone know how a BB is constructed? I guess, just for example, if volume increases, the BB start to expand, so as volume is increasing the price can and may hit the 1.5, expansion has nothing to do with price direction?

sorry sort of babbling.

Hi, I was following this thread for a pretty longtime and i really thank Tymen and all the contributers for your efforts… Seeing how this thread building up and becoming part of my knowledge pool is very encouraging.

I will post my answer’s to Exercise 1 [[B]highlight my thinking process[/B]]:

IMHO…

At the black vertical line, the candle clearly passes thro the upper BB (Rule 1). [[B]This should be the first signal for us to carefully look into this possible trade[/B]]

We are coming from a squeeze area (Rule 2).[[B]then we check if this PA comes from a squeeze area, if not, we abandon this trade possiblity.[/B]]

At the black vertical line, the outer BB are expanding and the mid BB is rising (Rule 3).[[B]confirmed that it is from a sqeeze area. then check for the expansion of outer BB[/B]]

The candles have developed in a nice stepwise manner up to the signal candle (Rule 4).[[B]The expansion BB is confirmed, then pre-requisite is completed by last checking the stepwise form of the PA (i think PA usually does form in this way? no? unless there are some breakout news.:p). now we wait for the entry candle[/B]]

The BB continue to expand at the entry candle (shown) (Rule 6).[[B]If BB’s not expanding at the entry, we keep out of the trade[/B]]

The entry is made when the price action touches or passes inwards thro the BB of standard deviation = 1.5. (shown) (Rule 5).[[B]Enter!!![/B]]

The next candle after the entry shows the BB still expanding so we stay in the trade (Rule 7). [[B]choose to stay in the trade or a quit out if it goes against us.[/B]]

Sorry for any grammar mistakes. Keep learning this method, thanks all!!! Cheers. :smiley:

why i could not use 1.5 std dev in mt4 platform. i can put round numbers only

in mt4 under custom indicators, use Bands and set it to whatever deviation setting you want. i believe this will do what ur looking for.

here’s how:
http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/32771-bollinger-bands-2-different-std-deviations.html

got it thanks

PerchTird,
A Bollinger Band is derived from price information, timeframe and nothing else.

To quote from John Bollinger’s website:
"[I]Bollinger Bands are a technical trading tool created by John Bollinger in the early 1980s. They arose from the need for adaptive trading bands and the observation that volatility was dynamic, not static as was widely believed at the time.

The purpose of Bollinger Bands is to provide a relative definition of high and low. By definition prices are high at the upper band and low at the lower band. This definition can aid in rigorous pattern recognition and is useful in comparing price action to the action of indicators to arrive at systematic trading decisions.

Bollinger Bands consist of a set of three curves drawn in relation to securities prices. The middle band is a measure of the intermediate-term trend, usually a simple moving average, that serves as the base for the upper band and lower band. The interval between the upper and lower bands and the middle band is determined by volatility, typically the standard deviation of the same data that were used for the average. The default parameters, 20 periods and two standard deviations, may be adjusted to suit your purposes[/I]"

Tymen has stated a number of times that this thread is for experienced traders. Whilst that does not mean the newer traders should not use these methods, it is extremely important that newer traders understand how these indicators are derived. Unless traders know where the indicators come from, making an informed decision is difficult (if not downright risky).

There are a numerous reference sites on the web. Just Google :slight_smile:

Tymen I do really think that you should take good care of yr health! If it’s a depression comming on, just stop were you are and relax, you have done so great so far that yr “turtles” can crawl at their own for a while. I have read every single post in this thread and I,m very greatful to all of you who have contribute to make this what it is. It will take me long time to digest all this information, and I shall enjoy all the time and hopefully somtimes in the future I will benifit, At least I hope so.

MP I tried to contribute on yr chat but I failed, I try to send msg several times, It did not work out well, pls advice how I should do it, Thanks for yr work with the Pdf’s

Erik, all the registration is handled by the Ning network people; I’m not sure what your problem is without more details but I would suggest using the support links during registration to get some assistance.

On a happy note, we just reached a milestone on the BB DNA chat of 200 members! The chat room is alive and active every day, even during the weekends.

if the pa touches the 1 std dev candle after skipping the candle next to the signal candle, is that a still a valid entry?

I’ve attached a chart to try explain my question.
it’s eu h1 at 6am gmt on 29/7/10

having trouble loading the image correctly

Very good point.

Answer - Yes, it is!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi all, did everyone had a good time this week.? Tymen, i hope that you turn better day by day! I was reading Carl Gustave Jung’s book <<Memories. Dreams. Reflections>> … which helped me to understand myself a little bit more… I think you might find out some answers from that book…:wink:

Please check out my last trade… I entered too close to the Mid-BB. So i picked the outer BB as TP1. That turned out to be good! But the candle continues to develop and hit the 3.3 BB. Then i recalled tymen’s method (exit when PA hit the 3.3 BB) and exited at TP2… which leads to the MISSed long BB walk!!

Just want to examine if i did it right. Anything i missed here? or i will catagorize it as “You can’t catch every BB walk, can you?”!

Thanks, Can i has some pips…:smiley:

You werent using the psar, which is used in conjunction with the 3.3 BB exit.

No inversion, and ‘re-version’ :wink: , to be seen on your screenshot.

You didnt follow the rules.

Re-read his rules regarding exiting, and entering, along with the new rules.

Should help you catch more walks.

Good job on getting pips so quickly.

More pips to ya!

Red

Tymen, just a clarification please do:
Is the candle 1 is good signal, or is it the candle 2 ?
Thank you in advance.
Regards, Didier.:slight_smile: