The Forex Portfolio - How to Gain Consistent Profits by Staying in the Market 24/7

Ha!

I took the same trade. Up 37 pips at the moment.

Yeah, I wouldnā€™t have stops yet. But that is me. Iā€™m sure my methodology can survive just fine if people move to break even or lock in some early pips.

I think Iā€™m long on both of them too. They need to make smartphones with two screens.

Great job! Bouncing an idea off you and Mgā€¦ are you looking to cash out and turn around to short nzd/usd? Looks like itā€™s hit a level of resistance that has been a solid ceiling for some time. Thoughts?

I rarely will exit a trade just to go in the opposite direction. It may have hit resistance, but price hasnā€™t indicated to me that itā€™s reversing. Iā€™m staying long until the candlesticks tell me otherwise.

Thanks. As much as learning your methodology, Iā€™m interested in learning your psychological attitude, and tips like this are vitally important my quest to learn the successful traderā€™s mindset. By the way, have you read any books on the topic? Iā€™m reading ā€œTrading in the Zoneā€ by Douglas.

Yep, from painful experience, I know that it would have been just as easy (perhaps even more helpful, actually) to start out down over 1000 pips (Yikes, make that 500 pips ā€“ explanation to follow in next post), so wonā€™t be going live anytime soon ā€“ still a lot to learn.

Yes, I have around $1550 in profits, 7.75% of the $20,000 initial demo account size. One factor (I believe) is that many of the pairs are less than $1/pip/mini-lot. However, the other factor is: [B][U]Iā€™d completely forgotten to make my position size equal to my equity[/U][/B] (which would have since garnered increased profits), instead just using an ā€œauto-pilotā€ 20,000-unit position size (owing to my $20,000 initial balance) for every trade. Yet another lesson learned and mistake I wonā€™t make again. Ha!

How to exit a profitable trade was going to be my next question. My short of the GBPNZD (on the Feb 12 closing bar @ 1.8684) has, so far, a high-water mark of around 390 pips (or 1.8294, and presently stands at around 350 pips). If a StopLoss is set at 10 pips above the current barā€™s high, were that hit it would lock-in around 288 pips. But, like you say, the momentum still appears strong ā€“ and it could retrace a bit and continue onward.

My initial thought was to wait until my bias goes from short to indeterminate, and then put in a StopLoss; however, by that time I could possibly lose most, if not all, of those pips. Maybe using some kind of 23.6% or 38.2% Fib retracement level between the entry and the high-water mark could be an option?

I think examples of some real-life stop management of your winners and losers would be great and most instructive; nobody whoā€™s truly followed this thread should have any doubts as to your integrity, sincerity, helpfulness (dare I say, ā€œaltruismā€?), experiences, and results.

Thanks MasterGunner!

P.S. ā€“ Oh noes ā€¦ I just realized I calculated my number of winning pips incorrectly (by two times the actual value!); well, better now than later. Here comes the obligatory ā€œplease forgive meā€ post ā€¦

Dudes and dudettes: [B]mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa[/B]! Please forgive me, but I miscalculated those pip numbers above by a factor of two too much. Whereā€™s the Dunce Cap icon when you need one? :29: I suppose a clown icon will work ā€¦

[I was calculating based off $ gain values divided by $/pip, but that only works if you have an even micro-lot of 10,000 units. Since my position size so far on everything has been 20,000 units, I needed to divide that value by two. Aaaaargh ā€¦]

Mulligan! Fore!

Here are the true values instead ā€“

AUDUSD (Long) +004 pips
NZDUSD (Long) +004 pips
EURGRP (Long) +011 pips
GBPAUD (Short) +147 pips
GBPCHF (Short) +063 pips
GBPCAD (Short) +044 pips
GBPNZD (Short) +293 pips
AUDNZD (Short) +008 pips
NZDCAD (Long) +015 pips

TOTAL = +589 pips!

What Iā€™ve learned from MasterGunner is: go with your bias, right or wrong. Let the market/price tell you when youā€™re wrong in both cases (i.e., in the case of winners, when it begins to turn on you).

So thatā€™s my approach to being Bullish NZDUSD (BTW, I believe it just pierced resistance; hopefully itā€™ll close above it).

P.S. ā€“ ā€œTrading in the Zoneā€ is a book Iā€™ve read and enjoyed and from which Iā€™ve learned quite a bit; itā€™s a little repetitious, but they say thatā€™s one way to learn ā€¦

I look at the number of pips price has moved from the price when the trade opened, to current price. For me I have a combined total of about 230 pipsā€¦but itā€™s only worth about $23.00 due to the lot size. Pips are pipsā€¦the lot size determines the value of them.

Itā€™s kinda of heady actuallyā€¦one trade is at 150 pips!..I donā€™t recall the last time, if ever, Ive gotten that many pips on one tradeā€¦lol. :slight_smile:

Great Great Job. This post makes me wish BP had a ā€œReally Likeā€ button. Really awesome

MG, do you have any thoughts or could you on the USDX / USD/BSKT (per some broker software) personally I think itā€™s bearish, but not as forcefully as Iā€™d like.

Good job sstrnod, you donā€™t need a :29: in there you need a :50:

I have a question for you or MG. If I look at your bias as a whole two things pop out:

Strong Bearish bias on GBP:
EURGBP (Long)
GBPAUD (Short)
GBPCHF (Short)
GBPCAD (Short)
GBPNZD (Short)

Strong Bullish bias on NZD:
NZDUSD (Long)
AUDNZD (Short)
NZDCAD (Long)

Now if one of these bias is wrong, all related trades will suffer (loss or small profits before being stopped out). But if both bias are right, the most profitable trade would be Short GBPNZD as this groups the weakest against the strongest currency.

I understand there are benefits from hedging, but with a strong and confirmed bias, wouldnā€™t it be logical to have a relatively bigger position in GBPNZD from the onset or to scale-in at good opportunities? Our bias entails that this will outperform the other pairs.

P.S. No Iā€™m not saying we should bet the farm :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok NZDCAD is hitting an, albeit, imaginary resistance line (.8500 and top of channel)ā€¦but heck itā€™s like 170+ pips!..and not just it but the other one is @ +150! Iā€™m think Iā€™m going to hyperventilate! Youā€™ve probably seen this a lot and even though itā€™s not saying itā€™s reversing, it seems to be due for some kind of retrace ā€¦hard to hold out!

I read some book that Dale once recommended. I think it was by the guy that created the RSI.

From a psychological standpoint, Iā€™ve read countless books on the topic to further my career path. Nothing specific to Forex.

I donā€™t trade that unfortunately. Donā€™t even have the feed on my demo, and I donā€™t think.

I prefer to keep my risk spread out across the market and not centered on one pair. The inherent nature of hedging when the market turns and compounding when itā€™s in your favor disappears if you speculate and concentrate more risk on one pair.

Early on. I recall pulling out of a yen trade when it was 300 pips profit. It went on another 200 pips without me and I pulled out what was left of my hair in frustration.

For me, from a psychological standpoint, I would rather wait for the move to complete and pull out to late than to pull out too early and watch price keep rolling without me.

My largest close this year is a tad over 980 pips. No way I could have ever gotten there if I pulled out too soon.

Focus on your overall equity and view all your trades as a whole. Yes, the decisions made must be individual, but when you focus on a larger picture you are less emotional about the individual pairs. I donā€™t notice when a pair backs down too much. I just see my equity move up and down. I however as long as itā€™s more than my net balance I know Iā€™ll be okay in the long run. Thus far this year, and we are close to 100 trades now, my equity has not fell lower than my account balance.

That is how you maintain consistent profitability.

Hello MG, Iā€™ve been reading your thread and was wondering;

Suppose I was looking at NZD/USD tonight for the first time and saw it was say a bullish candle sitting high above everything after a long bullish run. would you consider placing a long at the break of the candle or would you wait for any kind of pull-back to get in?

Sorry if this has been covered, but I havnā€™t seen it.

I would wait for an opportunity to increase my potential, so I would wait for a retrace.