The Forex Portfolio - How to Gain Consistent Profits by Staying in the Market 24/7

It definitely takes the edge off. You can even hit a string of losers and not much mind it because your equity is generally still positive.

I’ve yet to have negative equity for the year.

Agree with this…

Somehow, I realised that my trades are hedged in a very nice way even though I took them as individual trades.

Hi All,

I have decided to follow D-pip’s lead and do the following:

1 Use my weekly dumps to define my bias and key s/r levels.
2 Monitor my daily dumps.
3 I may even look at my four hourly dumps for entries.

There we are, I think that should cover it!

Oh, I nearly forgot, I will keep my risk to less than 1% of equity per 100 pips per dump and I will now show my dumps on a weekly basis.:30:

I thankyou

Absolutely!
For me this for me has been a HALLELUJA!! moment. So far the method seems almost fool-proof and I can’t see any disadvantages. It’s a force-multiplier - As of this moment now I believe trading one-trade-at-a-time is a mugs game. I figured Friday would be a good test day as things can be sh*t on Fridays, but blow me down - it’s holding up like a squad of Taliban in the Tora Boras!!
:39:

The only issue that I foresee is, when do you get out of the market, because there are many situations that you can be temporarily wrong (i.e. price will start going against you) especially the market does not seem to respect S/R levels in traditional ways (a lot of spikes through levels and then reversal).

So a detailed plan is still needed for both entries and exits, and the plan must be well tested for you to believe in it, if not you’ll fail because the psychology involved is stacked against you.

Hmm, I did some analysis, seems like all my trades at the moment are mainly gunning for short AUD, short USD, net short EURO, long Pound and long CAD.

and for some inexplicable reason, the market is moving so fast now oO

If ever there was such a thing as a holy grail. Maybe just for newbies lol. I felt over exposed to the USD so I have started trading crosses. Just based on MS/MF and entered on the swings. So my position now are as follows

AUD/NZD: Short
AUD/USD: Short
EUR/NZD: Short
EUR/USD: Short
NZD/CAD: Long
NZD/USD: Long
USD/CAD: Long
USD/CHF: Long

Will update total pips values this weekend not much point while the market is still moving.

I think you have to view the portfolio similar to a stocks and shares portfolio and to some extent with a similar psychology, at least that’s what I’m doing. Try not to check it out during the day, I know it’s tempting to see how you are doing, but it will mess with your head. As long as your lot size is within your risk on a much larger SL than intra day trading, you should be no worse off.

As far as entries and exits are concerned, I use the rule that if price is going the wrong way at the end of the day and it hurts me mentally, I will close it and put it in the wait category. We enter when price tells us which way it’s going when we are satisfied we have sufficient confirmation. TP exits for me are done by moving my SL to a place near price, but at the last key s/r level price was rejected sometimes on the daily and sometimes on the H4 as long as we are in profit, price will take us out until the next time.

We are simply following the trends on a basket of pairs and looking to take out the large part of the move, whichever way it goes.

Edit: here’s my SL on GBP/USD, it’s been in now for a day, just as an example of exiting. I will only move it downwards from here, but if I get taken out then that’s OK as I have banked these pips already.

My attention is turned to the AUD pairs now, they’re almost all at key levels, could be a good location to initiate shorts if this current breakout fails.

Noting ofcourse, the HUGE divergence between gold and AUD these days.

Even if you don’t usually trade this pair, it’s worth a watch because it has massive potential.

But wait for a signal :slight_smile:

Daily Chart:

4H Chart:

Are you entering the market when the move has already begun, like on full bars etc, or do you wait for a swing to enter right on the top/bottom? I’m still trying to figure out the best way to enter the market with this methodology.

We are generally entering when the move is under way, I am prone to entering early but I belive mastergunner enters much later. We don’t try to guess tops or bottoms, much too risky as you just don’t know which way it will go, we follow the current bias. Mastergunner usually enters on the daily TF after about 2 days or so of movement in the direction, whereas I generally enter sooner because I’m a trigger happy newbie!

Hope this helps.

Here’s my entry on Euro/Jpy

Okay here’s Friday Morning’s pip count as of 7:00am EST.

+1832 pips -579 pips for a net of 1253 pips. At 25 cents per pip (2500 units) it works out to a 06.2% gain on the 5K account.

If I had stayed with mg99’s suggestion of one unit per account amount and kept my size at 5000 units per position the gain since Sunday night would be 12.5%.

Thank you.

I got a few more questions, if you don’t mind :slight_smile:

Doesn’t it get you in the market very late if you enter when the move is almost completed? R:R get’s messed up. But I guess we shouldn’t think in terms of R:R with this methodology?

How do you determine the bias? Is it simply by looking at the overall market, i.e. the weekly chart etc and then wait for the daily to turn in that direction? Or do you also trade against the weekly, e.g. the weekly is down but the daily is pointing up?

I was using the daily for my bias, but I am now following d-pip by using the last week or so’s for my bias. For example if last week’s candle was a sell, I will be looking for a sell this week, then wait for price to get into line with that at a s/r like the pic and fire. Always with the bias, of course the institutions can decide to push price against our entry, but by following the latest bias we should be in tune with their moves more often than trying to guess tops or bottoms.

If you look at the weekly or daily in the same way you would look at say, M15 you can see the waves being created along with the pull-backs etc. We only risk the same amount of cash per trade as you would on intra day trading but your lot size is much smaller. Reward is what we can get out of the move, Mr. Market will decide that, it’s not up to me.

I will post more examples of exiting when I have the opportunity.

Take #% profits at x pips is my plan (subject to discretion), then move stops to break even. I don’t think a “detailed” plan is needed but you would be daft to not take early profits, because things always go wrong in this game like so much burnt toast! normally I wait for retracements but I’ve been trying entries at breakouts and had good results. But if you restrict entries only to strongly trending pairs then it really does seem almost foolproof. Yes prices can go against you, but not all at once, and then your other trades will hopefully ‘pick up the slack’ and keep you overall net in profit and bubbling away nicely with everything (theoretically) rising!
I’ve only done 2 days worth of testing but my expectations are sky high from what I’ve seen so far!

Don’t wait till very late, but it seems with this methodology, you wait a little longer than you may be accustomed to, in order to have a better guess that the market is moving the way you think it will. By doing this, yes, you will leave a few pips on the table, however, think of those “lost” pips as insurance.

By waiting a little longer to confirm the trend is going the correct way(nothing is absolute of course or we’d all be millionaires), you drastically increase your win to lose %, and overall, the pips you left on the table by waiting a little longer are nothing compared to the profits you’ll pull in. I’ve had several 100+pip trades happen in 1-2 days by doing this - the 15-20 I left on the table to confirm direction don’t mean anything to me.

Everyone is different, but I always trade w/ the bias on the daily. If it’s been going down the last few weeks, I’ll only look for shorts, and vice versa. Trend lines help show where a top or bottom may occur. Patience is a virtue! As for long-term reversals, I’m too new to be able to identify them as I haven’t been trading long enough to see any, but I have a feeling we’ll be seeing some soon!

I closed all my trades at the euro/london close 11:30 pm EST. Not because I’m worried about holding over the weekend, but to zero out the demo and start clean again next week

Here’s the closing pip count.

+1607 pips -660 pips for a net of 947 pips. At 25 cents per pip (2500 units) it works out to a 04.7% gain on the 5K account.

Over the weekend I’m going to kick around a few ideas and maybe tweak the strat I used this past week.

Thanks mg99, this is good! :smiley:

PS If I had followed mg99’s suggestion of one unit per account amount, 5000 units per position instead of the 2500 units I traded, the gain would have been 09.4%

My plan is to enter whatever is trending nicely!