The Forex Portfolio - How to Gain Consistent Profits by Staying in the Market 24/7

I’ll post updates from time to time, although maybe not every day.

As for the 2-day thing, don’t get too fixated on that. It’s quite possible that I’m just experiencing beginner’s luck. I have several positions which are SHORT either the EUR or the CHF. And that’s worked out well for me, given the most recent banking news out of Europe.

But, I wasn’t attempting to trade the fundamentals, or anticipate the news. I was just trying to determine a bias based on pure (blind?) trend-following — which is how I understand mastergunner’s methodology. I really am trying to respect his methodology, although I’m aware that I have already wandered off the reservation a few times.

Furthermore, if today’s banking news had been positive for Europe, instead of negative, I could have found myself down hundreds of pips, instead of up hundreds of pips.

Sorry, I’m getting word-y here.

All I’m trying to say is this: Don’t try to copy what I’m doing; copy what mastergunner is doing.

But, that’s exactly what mastergunner said to do. Specifically, let the market show you the trend — that becomes your bias. You don’t want to be any later to the party than you have to be, but you definitely don’t want to jump the gun.

After you have identified the trend, and thus determined your bias, look for a retracement from that trend as an opportunity to enter. But, don’t jump the gun on the retracement, either — wait for the retracement to end, and for price to resume moving in the direction of your bias. Then, enter in that direction.

When you enter this way, your LONG entry inevitably occurs [B]after[/B] a swing low has been established, and [B]after[/B] the upmove has already begun.

Again, I’m trying to do things the way mastergunner outlined them. That means (1) enter only one position per pair, (2) make each position equal in size to your equity, and (3) don’t add to open positions.

As I understand the methodology, the answer is no. As I said to Iya, above, it’s my understanding that you should not add to open positions.

Furthermore, you should not manually close any position. If the trend deteriorates, altering your bias, you should exit your trade in an orderly fashion on a stop-loss, not manually. (I have already violated that rule, a couple of times.)

Your question confuses me. In forex [B]we don’t trade pairs vs other pairs.[/B] We trade a single pair, in one direction or the other, which means that [B]we are trading a base-currency vs a cross-currency.[/B]

If your question refers to identifying strong [B]individual[/B] currencies, and weak [B]individual[/B] currencies (a heat-map sort of thing), and then using that to determine your bias — well, that approach might work, but it’s not what this thread is about.

You suggested adding a “day trade” to an existing profitable position. That’s just not part of mastergunner’s portfolio methodology. In this methodology, every trade is entered after a definite trend has been identified. And it is expected that the trend will be long and strong, and therefore the trade will evolve into a swing trade.

However, the trend might fail to meet that expectation. It might reverse early in the trade, prompting an exit from the trade. In that case, the trade might be very short-term — like a day trade. But, it shouldn’t be entered as a day trade.

I suppose I should clarify:
If my bias looked like this:
EURUSD = Bear
GBPUSD = Bear
EURGBP = Bear
USDJPY = Bull
EURJPY = Bear
GBPJPY = Bear

In this case I’m selling the EUR quite heavily across the various pairs and buying mainly buying USD so I would expect EURUSD to be the best pair. The day trading bit is additional ie. adding lots on EURUSD in this case and closing them later on at the end of the day. I wouldn’t be closing out of the position trade, just the additional lots opened.

I’m adding my own tweaks. Mostly I just like the concept of every pair, long timeframes and trades and big risk to reward.

i took exactly the opposite trade :16:

Yes, for me the losses outweigh the wins. I have about a 45% win rate. I like the idea of adding to the wins, however are you treating the losses the same? Would you take a partial loss to lessen a losing trade. .

My average loss is about 100 pips. There a bit of a learned art that differentiates the allowance for price variance and letting a losers continue on its losing course.

In reference to suggestions of adding or subtracting to positions. I’m not against the idea, but I think that would require more work for those that want to head down that road.

I don’t like the idea of starting with half positions with the intention of adding to them. You may as well just keep a regular position and add to it later if presented with a viable opportunity.

Now here’s where to me lies the importance of all this. Treat losers the same. If you are willing to add when things are good, then subtract when things are bad.

If you’re willing to take partials wins when things are good, then take partial losses when things are not so good.

I have no recommendations on when to even attempt to add or subtract, but a logical suggestion would be to move in after a completed retracement. In regards to losers, be quick to pull a partial loss fast and move back in when it’s in your favor.

This is not part of my overall methodology, but just an idea for someone to toy with if they have the time. Business has still kept my ridiculously busy, but I’m hoping with the holidays here I can catch a breather and chill out in the chat room or something with you fools.

I don’t think that’s the same thing. It’s a risk to reward thing. If I was taking partial profits that lowers my potential reward so I should scale out to lower risk. But adding to increases my reward but I keep the same risk. And I’ve been manually moving my SL up

It is the same thing. If you’re in a potential losing trade, and you absorb a partial loss, you’ll minimize the overall loss, therefore still increasing your risk reward. You’d be adding to positions as they are increasing and subtracting from your positions as they are losing. It’s all great in theory of course, there’s no way I want to even wrap my mind around how to succesfully implement it in practice at this point in time.

The market gives, and the market takes. Over the last several hours, it’s been taking (from me, anyway).

All of my open winners have retraced. My 2 yen pairs are currently negative. Overall, my previous open P/L (+1,213 pips) has backed down by 39% to +741 pips currently (as of about 5:30am, New York time, Friday).

At the time of my last update (when open P/L was +1,213 pips and equity was $1,075.06), I was very tempted to close my open positions, thinking that my open P/L at that time was probably running way ahead of any reasonable average. In other words, I was pretty sure my open P/L was going to drop, possibly hard. As it turned out, that intuition was accurate.

Another consideration, telling me to close everything and start over, was the degree to which my portfolio was out-of-balance. It was (and still is) overloaded with EUR shorts and CHF shorts. I didn’t plan it that way; that’s just the result of my evaluation of bias on the pairs available to me.

However, all that aside, it’s not part of the portfolio methodology to bail on winners prior to a trend-reversal. So, I’m hanging in, because my intent in this exercise is to test this methodology as mastergunner defined it — or [I][B]close[/B][/I] to the way he defined it, anyway.

Here are my current numbers:

Starting balance: $1,000.00
Current balance: $947.00
Current equity: $1,026.50 — down from $1,075.06
Open P/L: $79.50 (+741 pips) — down from $128.06 (+1,213 pips)

Open positions (10 total, 7 positive, 1 at break-even, 2 negative):
Long
USD/CHF
GBP/CHF
CAD/CHF — roughly at break-even
AUD/CHF
CAD/JPY — negative
Short
EUR/USD
EUR/GBP
EUR/CAD
EUR/AUD
EUR/JPY — negative

I have closed 5 positions, all of them losers. Three of the five losers were yen-pairs; and now I have 2 losers in my open positions, and they are both yen-pairs. I now have a strong [I][B]bias[/B][/I] against yen-pairs.

One final thought: It occurs to me that the most subjective part of this portfolio methodology is determining bias. Maybe [I]my[/I] subjective way of determining bias accounts for the fact that I’m heavily short the EUR and the CHF, with the result that my portfolio is not well diversified.

Good and useful commentary Clint (as always). I agree with you totally on the bias issue. I’m also still confused on a few other things:

1. How long to hold a trade. Is this a long term strategy or not?
  2. I can’t see how the swap rate (carry trade) does not impact the stragegy. Going against the AUD currently and holding your trade for a month is going to eat into any profits or add to losses
  3. How to manage 12 or even 20 pairs simultaneously. I experimented this on 8 pairs in demo and it was too time intensive
  4. How to deal with correlated pairs. You might think that this is easy but did you know in the last 3 weeks that usdcad is more correlated to GBPUSD than eurusd is (inversely)

MG should probably answer this but here’s my answer as I understand it:

1. The winning trades are typically long term (over 1 week), losers should be cut early. You are trading price action so your following longer time trends while looking at what price is reacting to. Most of the areas of S/R have been visited before but this way of thinking says not to predict where price will go. We can’t say “The system says that the price will go here then reverse”, we can say “The system says that there is S/R at … but we don’t know it will bounce or breakthrough. Stay it in but lock in some profit in case of bounce”.
  2. The swap is considered a cost of trading. I haven’t gone through all the swap values that I trade with but the largest I found was -1.52 pips a day which is -10.64 pips a week which when your profiting 300+ pips, it’s less than 5%. With the portfolio though there will be positive swaps. With my demo trades at the moment I earn -2.2 pips per day or -$0.34 per lot and that’s including the -1.52 symbol.
  3. If your looking at the daily charts then you should only a small amount of time looking at charts as this entry price isn’t important factor. If you have the time then you could work on improving entry times but in general your not trying to catch the tops or bottoms but the big bit in the middle. Also it can be filter as in one of MG’s earlier posts where the bias was to sell 4 hours before day close yet at day close the day was strongly bullish.
  4. Correlation using USD can be tricky because it the main reserve currency of the markets so if the market decides that it doesn’t want risk then it buys lots of USD hence why you get correlation. If your getting too much risk in a particular currency then close out what your bias says is the weakest.

@mastergunner99 I’ve annotated a chart with what my ideal trading plan would of been:

EurJpy consolidating, previous support area? Could it be time to go long?

Forex Portfolio - Monday 4/1/13, 1:30am EDT (New York time)

10 open positions, no change since last update — current Open P/L +921 pips.

[U]Bias determinations[/U] - 20 pairs

CHF/JPY — SHORT if the D1 closes below 98.32
GBP/CHF — hold current LONG
EUR/AUD — hold current SHORT
EUR/CAD — hold current SHORT — note support at 1.2845
AUD/CAD — SHORT if the D1 closes below 1.0545
CAD/JPY — wait
GBP/CAD — wait
AUD/CHF — hold current LONG for a re-test of .9976; otherwise, reverse to SHORT if D1 closes below .9881
CAD/CHF — hold current LONG — look for the bull-flag to play out
EUR/USD — hold current SHORT
GBP/USD — wait
EUR/JPY — SHORT if the D1 closes below 119.73
USD/JPY — SHORT if the D1 closes below 92.79 (weekly S2)
GBP/JPY — SHORT if the D1 closes below 140.36 (weekly S2)
AUD/JPY — SHORT if the D1 closes below 96.73 (weekly S2)
USD/CHF — hold current LONG — note resistance at .9566
AUD/USD — SHORT if the D1 closes below 1.0376 (weekly S1)
EUR/GBP — hold current SHORT
USD/CAD — SHORT if resistance holds at 1.0184 (weekly pivot)
GBP/AUD — wait

I have this trade on EU. I think it has respected the resistance. What do you think about it?

Forex Portfolio - Wednesday 4/3/13, 2:15am EDT (New York time)

11 open positions — one new position, SHORT USD/CAD, since last update — current Open P/L +940 pips.

[U]Bias opinion[/U] - 20 pairs (not included: NZD-pairs, and EUR/CHF)

EUR/USD — hold current SHORT
USD/JPY — SHORT if D1 closes below 92.79 (weekly S2)
GBP/USD — wait
AUD/USD — SHORT if D1 closes below 1.0376 (weekly S1)
USD/CHF — hold current LONG — note resistance at .9566
USD/CAD — hold current SHORT
EUR/JPY — hold current SHORT
EUR/GBP — hold current SHORT
EUR/AUD — hold current SHORT
EUR/CAD — hold current SHORT — note support at 1.2845
GBP/JPY — SHORT if D1 closes below 140.36 (weekly S2)
GBP/AUD — SHORT if D1 closes below 1.4379
GBP/CHF — hold current LONG unless D1 closes below 1.4300, in which case reverse to SHORT bias
GBP/CAD — SHORT if D1 closes below 1.5240
AUD/JPY — SHORT if D1 closes below 96.73 (weekly S2)
AUD/CHF — hold current LONG for re-test of .9976; or, reverse to SHORT bias if D1 closes below .9881
AUD/CAD — SHORT if D1 closes below 1.0545
CHF/JPY — SHORT if D1 closes below 98.32
CAD/JPY — SHORT if resistance holds at 92.40 (weekly pivot), in which case exit current LONG
CAD/CHF — hold current LONG — look for the bull-flag to play out

Am I the only one trying this methodology?

No Clint, you are not, but you are by far the most vocal as of late… Thanks for your updates. I’m keeping an eye on your posts.

Are you not looking at NZD pairs? It’s obvious why you excluded the EU/CHF

On a general note, any concerns with Thursday’s rate news and Friday’s NFP? It’s hard to fight the urge to cash out on some profitable trades.

Hi guys,

First of all thanks to MG99 and everybody else!

I am new to trading. Almost 3 weeks! :slight_smile: But I have been studying and reading not stop all the time. Decided to apply this methodology. Giving it a serious try from today.

What I took from this thread that I think has mainly improved my trading ability:

Concentrate on the bias.
Don’t anticipate the market but follow it.

Yesterday I also read the book suggested on some earlier post and I have to say that match really well with this methodology and also give some idea on how to deal with stop and take profit. A must-read.

Raining Pips!
Daniele

What’s the name of the book, Trasimaco? I seem to have missed it.

Good luck with your start